Stainless steel engraving - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stainless steel engraving

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stainless steel engraving

Yep im sure a cheap CNC 3040 can do that, ive`d been making steel stamps lately, unfortunately I did not took a picture on the products, and it`s already been delivered on the customer, tool steel is the best material for stamping, because you can hardened the metal to make it more tougher than it`s previous state.

here`s a sample on it on a plastic material before I worked on it on tool steel. it`s about a size of a US 10 cent coin.

Stainless steel engraving-20170704_163635-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stainless steel engraving-20170704_163635-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    Yep im sure a cheap CNC 3040 can do that, ive`d been making steel stamps lately, unfortunately I did not took a picture on the products, and it`s already been delivered on the customer, tool steel is the best material for stamping, because you can hardened the metal to make it more tougher than it`s previous state.

here`s a sample on it on a plastic material before I worked on it on tool steel. it`s about a size of a US 10 cent coin.

Stainless steel engraving-20170704_163635-jpg
    Yes that's perfect, but as far i have understood it correctly, many people are saying that engraving steel is a pain and i should buy a very expensive 3040 CNC. No?

Downloads
    Uploads

On my experience, commercial CNC machines can make stamps easy and fast like 10-20 minutes, DIY 3040 can make stamps for 30 minutes to 2 hours. the only difference is only time. expensive CNC machines = fast, cheaper CNC machines = slow

Edit: just to give you a hint, a cheap $199 CNC 2015 can even engrave actual hardened gun parts

Stainless steel engraving-photo0040-jpg

Stainless steel engraving-photo0046-jpg

Stainless steel engraving-cncat2015-3-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stainless steel engraving-photo0040-jpg   Stainless steel engraving-photo0046-jpg   Stainless steel engraving-cncat2015-3-jpg  
    Last edited by KH0UJ; 05-11-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like what you want to make are coining dies, not what I thought of as "stamps". An etching process isn't going to give you those contoured surfaces; it works on one level at a time, like 2.5D machining. I'm skeptical of the ability of a cheap router to do a good job at that, but it's true that when you're using very small cutters on steel, you don't need as much torque and you do need a lot of speed, so a router-type spindle can work. If this is all you want to do, I'd suggest you look for an older pantograph machine. There are a lot of them coming onto the market as the industry upgrades to CNC machinery and a digital workflow. You'd typically make the pattern much larger in plaster or a similar material, and then use the stylus on the pantograph to trace over the pattern while the mechanical linkage reduces the movements to the size of your die.

Of course, you can do all this digitally, either using a 3D scanner to capture the pattern or modeling it directly in a CAD program, then using a CAM program to translate that into tool paths a CNC machine can execute, but it sounds like you aren't really going into heavy production on these things, and you'll need to save up for a coining press, or make one that drops a heavy hammer head on your die from a height.

Andrew Werby
    Website

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It looks like what you want to make are coining dies, not what I thought of as "stamps". An etching process isn't going to give you those contoured surfaces; it works on one level at a time, like 2.5D machining. I'm skeptical of the ability of a cheap router to do a good job at that, but it's true that when you're using very small cutters on steel, you don't need as much torque and you do need a lot of speed, so a router-type spindle can work. If this is all you want to do, I'd suggest you look for an older pantograph machine. There are a lot of them coming onto the market as the industry upgrades to CNC machinery and a digital workflow. You'd typically make the pattern much larger in plaster or a similar material, and then use the stylus on the pantograph to trace over the pattern while the mechanical linkage reduces the movements to the size of your die.

Of course, you can do all this digitally, either using a 3D scanner to capture the pattern or modeling it directly in a CAD program, then using a CAM program to translate that into tool paths a CNC machine can execute, but it sounds like you aren't really going into heavy production on these things, and you'll need to save up for a coining press, or make one that drops a heavy hammer head on your die from a height.
    could you give me a link or photo to see what pantograph machine you are talking about?

Thank you!

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not recommending any particular one. Just keep an eye out for any used pantographs that come onto the market. Ebay is good for this sort of thing. This Gorton pantograph, for instance, originally cost a lot more than they're asking for it now: https://www.ebay.com/i/292554428294?chn=ps But if you keep looking, you might find a better deal.

Andrew Werby
    Website

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12