MotionMaster CNC?

Thread: MotionMaster CNC?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question MotionMaster CNC?

I recently came across an auction listing for what looks like a late 90s, 5ft x 10ft CNC router machine. I haven't seen one of these motion master machines before, let alone heard of it, so hopefully someone here knows more than I do. Listing says it has 4 7hp Perske motors and 1 drill head. Also says it has a DYWA path controller. I'll include a link to some pictures and if anyone knows anything, it would be greatly appreciated if you left it below.

Pictures:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TI...39UG7Me0N2MCjH

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: MotionMaster CNC?

It's certainly a beefy-looking machine - I wouldn't want to have to move it myself. It's worth a certain amount for the spindle and frame (if they work) but you'd be buying a project, since you probably won't want to use the ancient controller it comes with, even if it was still fully functional (which is doubtful). So budget a few thousand for retrofitting it with new controls, and another grand or so for moving it. If it needs 3-phase (probable) and you don't have it, you'll also need a phase converter of some kind.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: MotionMaster CNC?

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It's certainly a beefy-looking machine - I wouldn't want to have to move it myself. It's worth a certain amount for the spindle and frame (if they work) but you'd be buying a project, since you probably won't want to use the ancient controller it comes with, even if it was still fully functional (which is doubtful). So budget a few thousand for retrofitting it with new controls, and another grand or so for moving it. If it needs 3-phase (probable) and you don't have it, you'll also need a phase converter of some kind.
    I'll keep an eye on the price then. Any idea where I could get a new or better controller for the motionmaster?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: MotionMaster CNC?

I have its cousin, a 4x8, only my table moves in long direction. Built like a tank, not sure what mine weighs but I'm guessing > 6000 Lbs, I knew I had a load on the trailer when I drug it home. I completely replaced the controls including the servo motors and drives, and control software. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have kept the servo drives, I still have the DC servo motors. Currently running NEMA34 steppers, but thinking about repowering with DMM AC servos.

If it's not beat to death, it is a very good candidate for a controls upgrade. MotionMaster used high quality Thomson ball screws and guide rails, and a lot of iron. Way over built by today's standards. If the price is right, then I would give it serious consideration.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA