New Product XCarve from inventables

Thread: XCarve from inventables

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default XCarve from inventables

Good afternoon!

Let me begin by saying that I am about as new/green as they come. I have quite a bit of experience in the wood shop and am looking for a way to take my sign making to the next level. However, I have zero experience with CNC.

I recently stumbled across a website called inventables.com and their newest product, Xcarve. From the other kits I have seen around the web this one looks almost too good to be true. I was hoping that here I could get some expert input on this device.

As I have no previous experience with the software necessary to run a commercial CNC the Easel program seems like a logical jumping off point.

I suppose that my real question here is am I going to be disappointed with the capabilities/limitations of this machine after I get into it?

Thanks for the help!

Dallas

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: XCarve from inventables

[quote]
    I suppose that my real question here is am I going to be disappointed with the capabilities/limitations of this machine after I get into it?[QUOTE]

That's impossible to answer without knowing your expectations.

I can tell you that the vast majority of members that post here would consider the X Carve a lightweight toy.

If you're a serious woodworker, with decent quality equipment, then, yes, I think you'll be disappointed.

I don't consider that a "commercial" machine.

And Easel is typically used by hobbiests with these small machines. I don't have any experience with it, and you won't find much if any discussion on it here.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay ... found you! Sheesh! My two functional brain cells are running at about 40% today.

Anyway, this forum is the BEST place to get information on all things CNC.

I am looking forward to showing you my Samson 510 table and doing some experiments.

I bought a chunk of scrap aluminum from my local steel yard today. Well, if $103.00 can be considered "scrap." It is a two-foot piece of aluminum channel with a 9/16" thick web, about 8 inches wide. It will be enough to do some preliminary experiments with the router, to see if I can cut aluminum with my machine.

Welcome to CNCzone!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=ger21;1681368][quote]
    I suppose that my real question here is am I going to be disappointed with the capabilities/limitations of this machine after I get into it?

That's impossible to answer without knowing your expectations.

I can tell you that the vast majority of members that post here would consider the X Carve a lightweight toy.

If you're a serious woodworker, with decent quality equipment, then, yes, I think you'll be disappointed.

I don't consider that a "commercial" machine.

And Easel is typically used by hobbiests with these small machines. I don't have any experience with it, and you won't find much if any discussion on it here.
    Thank you for your input! I was obviously not suggesting that this was a commercial device, rather that I have no clue where to begin with a commercial one. this one seems like it might be a nice place to start. Thanks again!

Last edited by djduvall; 04-08-2015 at 12:26 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you decide to purchase the X-Carve? I know that compared to the commercial machines that most of the people use on this forum it is lacking in a lot of the specs, but for a hobbyist machine it has been working great for me. I upgraded the spindle and I have about 100 hours of 2D and 2.5D carving with it. It does require regular tuning and cleaning, but I have found that if you take care of it, it can do very good work.

I purchased the X-Carve about a year ago. I found that Easel was not for me but I found that UGS (Universal Code Sender, open source, free) works well. The only complaints I have about the X-Carve is that the Z axis is kind of soft. If you have to stop and restart a cut, you will find after re-zeroing the machine, that you were losing a few hundredth per z-pass when cutting 3D. I just ordered a upgrade fom CNC4NEWBIE.com which is a Z axis made specifically for the X-Carve. My second DIY build was built with linear slides, ball screws, and extruded aluminum from 20/80. I used one of their Z-axis assemblies and was very impressed. The machine was fine, but in the ended up having too much flex in the Y-axis, so I decided to try the X-Carve, having spent close to a year building the previous machine from scratch. I think with this upgrade I will get the precision I need for wood. I'll repost when I have it all assembled and tested.

I also forgot to mention that I upgraded to a water cooled spindle. The "Quiet Cut" that I purchased with the original machine burned out after about 80 hours of cutting. It is really just a low power router with rather crappy bearings. If you don't want to deal with the water cooling, and you are just starting out a Bosch Colt or DeWalt is probably fine, since they will last far longer that the "Quiet Cut." The spindle/VFD route is not for the faint of heart, lots of frustration, questions in the forums (thanks for all the help to the community : ) but I finally have a solid setup that works.

Last edited by jrg6269; 07-24-2018 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Forgot a detail