Control power problem

Thread: Control power problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Control power problem

I have a 12V switching power supply that I have used to bench test three 200F servo drives individually. All three connect properly to vipertune and communicate with the encoders properly.

When I connect all three to the power supply the green led lights up on all three, but there are no flashing lights and I cannot connect to vipertune.

When I connect two of the drives to the power supply, the green led lights up and the red leds flash on both.

I have tried two other lower quality power supplies and one will only properly power a single drive and the other won't power any drives.

This sounds like a power supply problem, Does the viper drive have issues with switching power supplies?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bbrally View Post
    I have a 12V switching power supply that I have used to bench test three 200F servo drives individually. All three connect properly to vipertune and communicate with the encoders properly.
    When I connect all three to the power supply the green led lights up on all three, but there are no flashing lights and I cannot connect to vipertune.
    When I connect two of the drives to the power supply, the green led lights up and the red leds flash on both.
    I have tried two other lower quality power supplies and one will only properly power a single drive and the other won't power any drives.
    This sounds like a power supply problem, Does the viper drive have issues with switching power supplies?

How many watts/amps are the supplies?.
    If they're not very strong then the voltage will sag. Servo may be picking up on this.
    What are servo rated to?. Are they just 12v or 12-24v?.
    Switching supplies do suffer sag and usually need double what you think.

If servos do take a higher voltage in spec, then use it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Control power problem

This is for the 12V control side power. The motor side power is not connected.
    The power supplies range from 4 amps to 10 amps. My multimeter only shows 6 milliamps draw per drive when first powered on. I don't think it's a capacity problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

SMPS are not a good idea in general for both steppers and servo's.
    The suitable linear supply is far better.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm thinking I'll need to get a linear supply.

But just to confirm, this is not the servo motor supply power. Those are 80 volt linear supplies.

This is the just the control side of the viper drive that's the problem, 12 volts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Think I found a fix.

I put a capacitor in parallel with the switching power supply output and now all three drives power up normally.

I guess the capacitor is helping to smooth out the output enough to allow the drives to boot up.

I think my problem may be solved.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    yes you have solved the problem, but your solution is only masking the real culprit, that supply is just not up to the job.
    A supply, either linear or switching, of say 15-18VDC followed by a heastsinked 12VDC linear regulator would be better.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I saw a datasheet that showed 12-18v supply can be used but I can't find it again.
    Do you have a manual for it to check this?.
    If you can use a slightly higher v it would be better.
    The slightest drop below 12 could be setting it off.

Edit:
    Ah. I think this is the one:

http://www.viperservo.com/dloads/viper-manual.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bbrally View Post
    I put a capacitor in parallel with the switching power supply output and now all three drives power up normally.
    That probably means that the original output capacitor inside the power supply is, well, not so capable anymore. I would open the power supply and measure the capacitor, or at least inspect it. A bad capacitor would often have a visible bulge at the top.

Another possibility is that the 12V voltage is right on the borderline of what the servos can work with. If the power supply is adjustable, try raising the voltage slightly (to 12.5 or 13V).

Downloads
    Uploads

The power supply is an allen-bradley 1606-XLP, I've set it to 15v. Still only works with the added capacitor. None of the the other power supplies work without the capacitor added even when adjusted up to 15v.

I believe that Craig is correct in that I'm only masking the problem, but for the time being it's the solution I'm going to be using.

The manual does reference in a drawing that the input voltage is 12-18v.

Is anyone else using switching supplies without problems?

Downloads
    Uploads

You can use a switching PS, but it has to have a Clean DC output . If adding a capacitor fixed it, then the PS was not out putting clean DC, Sounds like a poor quality PS. Maybe just get a 12V 2 amp transformer , rectifier and 2200uF filter cap .

Larry K

Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com