Need Help! viper 200 Yaxis problems

Thread: viper 200 Yaxis problems

Downloads
    Uploads

Default viper 200 Yaxis problems

hello i did a retro fit a on a supermax ycm 30 vertical mill a cpl years ago. it had and analam crusader controler with sem servo motors. used larys viper 200 drives (all three axises) and a bx7 beakout board with us digital e5 1000 differential encoders. mach 3 software of course. the system has operated most flawlessly in that time. just recently i started throwing a fault on my y axes 5 flashes on the bx7 breakout . encoder fail no pulses as read in the viper manual.

first i checked the encoder on the y axis for obvious visual issues found nothing.
    next i swapped the encoder cable with the x axis cable, still had the same issue.
    next i started reading on this forum for solutions and happened across the viper tune software and installed it started playing with the tuning.
    not having much luck when i try to tune the motor cant seem to get it to accept a encoder trip number and when i get a decent tune on the servo i loose my direction meaning
    the servo will only jog in one direction.
    also checked the encoder in viper tune with the servo disconnected. it operates as it should doesnt seem to miscount at all.
    my guess is that its not the servo tuning, just not sure what it is.
    any suggestions thanx steve

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: viper 200 Yaxis problems

Does the motor lock when you turn the power on ? Also check that it holds the same strength when you turn it shaft both directions.

Larry
    I

Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Downloads
    Uploads

hey larry thanx for getting back to me.
    yes the motor holds both directions when powered up meaning i cant turn the shaft by hand ether way.
    i have the motors tuned using viper tune. think they look good. started cutting a job today after re calibrating steps per inch on all three axises
    and on the Y axis i got the same fault (encoder miscount) no pusles.
    i did it a clp times i was able to restart the program after clearing the fault in mach and powering down the drives.
    seems only the Y axis. any ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads

5 flashes means Encoder trip, because it exceeded the count limit. This can be from a burst of noise over the encoder cables.
    When the servo is under sudden load, the high current in the power cables can radiate to the encoder cables as noise if they are close. This can make the drive trip because the noise increases the encoder count very fast.

Larry

Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Downloads
    Uploads

hey larry I took your advise and moved the encoder cable away from any servo wires the problem still persists . I mostly notice the issue when the drive changes direction the servo jumps slightly and faults out. I swapped out the drives x axis onto the y axis and vise versa. the problem followed the drive. wondering at this point if the problem is in the drive itself? might just get a new drive. any advise?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

^^Wow, pretty odd I have the same issue but with 'x' axis on Supermax mill....I changed the value before it faults, but its set pretty high. I to checked encoder count, no issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you try swapping out the X and Y drive, and see if the error moves.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i am getting pretty much the same thing on the y axis of my v2xt. I have been able to make it repeat a bunch. I move the x and y around for a bit and then let it sit for about 15 seconds and then try to move the y . it faults and either gives me encoder failure or encoder trip. I have unplugged things moved things around . I have not had this problem until now. i was thinking about buyin ferrite clamps to put around the encoder wires. I dont have the money for a new drive. So if thats the case , i am screwed for a while.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

something new, I did the exerciser on the viper tuning software and it will run all day long , I then stop it , wait a few seconds , start it again and I get encoder failure. anybody else get this

Downloads
    Uploads

I have bought the Viper 200 drives awhile ago, 2014 and just started the retrofit. I had the drive cycle on my desk ok the first day I had it hooked up to the Viper tune, It had a funky looking wave form on the tuner scope but that might just have been my PC. However ,the next day I turned the drive on and as soon as I turn on ether the viper power of the motor power , the motor takes of for a second and I get the 5 flashes. Made now encoder cable, changed the encoder, swapped on other drive moved the power wires away from the encoder wires and still doing the same thing.. Any help is appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like reversing the armature wire did the trick

Last edited by trikepedaler; 01-21-2021 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Wrong post