Larken BX7 pinouts for spindle control

Thread: Larken BX7 pinouts for spindle control

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Larken BX7 pinouts for spindle control

I have been using the BX7 b.o.b. With good results for the last couple of years but am just now getting to the point of using the spindle control output. However, I haven't been able to locate the pinout information to use in the "Ports And Pins" screen in the Mach3. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Larken BX7 pinouts for spindle control

Have the spindle operated via MACH3 now, though it is via what seems to be a work-around.

I have a panel switch mounted to control the VFD setup as FWD/STOP/REV. I did this first to get the VFD up and running, and get used to using it vs the rotary phase converter. Was concerned about electronic interference, but it turns out not to be an issue (at least that I can tell so far).

Once the VFD was operational, my plan was to control it via a relay feeding the fwd/stop/rev switch, since I've no plans to do rigid tapping and the only other reason to reverse rotation would be to use the low range, which requires manual operation of the high/low lever anyway.

There are four terminals on the BX7 related to Spindle Output
    Chassis GND
    0-10 volt
    Spindle Out O/C
    Spindle out SSR

The only output I could get any signal from was the 0-10 volt terminal. This changes as expected with the programmed spindle speed (ie M3 S1000 is half the measured voltage of S2000). I adjusted this to get 5V and use it to drive a relay, which completes the circuit of the panel mounted switch.Larken BX7 pinouts for spindle control-imageuploadedbytapatalk1417084539-569715-jpg
    Larken BX7 pinouts for spindle control-imageuploadedbytapatalk1417084589-876284-jpg
    Larken BX7 pinouts for spindle control-imageuploadedbytapatalk1417084709-992151-jpg

The startup condition, prior to activating MACH3, activates the relay for an unknown reason. If the spindle FWD/STOP/EV switch is unintentionally left on, this causes a USP error to the VFD, which is reset by turning the spindle enable to the STOP position.

The system is functioning as desired, in that I can control the spindle via G-code, but I am hoping to be able to control it as an on/off versus having to use the 0-10 volt signal programmed to 5v (turns out to be S2000 in my setup).

Hope this is useful to anyone else using a BX7 with MACH3, and thanks to Larry at Larken in helping with getting it up and running.

DLS

Downloads
    Uploads

An M03 turns the spindle on and you should see the yellow LED come on.

Did you try this ?

Chassis GND
    0-10 volt
    Spindle Out O/C >> connect to one side of a 12 volt relay coil, and the other side to +DC on the bx7
    Spindle out SSR

Larry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Picked up some 12v coils over the weekend, will try later tonight or tomorrow

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No-go; 12v on one side of coil, the other to the O/C terminal. No activation of coil.

Also tried coolant outputs, nothing there either. I.E. ; unable to change state of any outputs on BX7.

Larken BX7 pinouts for spindle control-imageuploadedbytapatalk1417480995-898960-jpg
    Larken BX7 pinouts for spindle control-imageuploadedbytapatalk1417481068-083935-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Some things to try

- Does the Yellow led come on when you use M03 and go off with M05 ?
    - Do all the inputs work ?
    - Do you have the N/C estop loop on the bx7 wired closed ?
    - Does the Mach3 Reset and then trip when you hit the reset input ?
    - Are you sure you are using a parallel cable that is fully wired and straight thru ?

Larry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No yellow light comes on during the M03 or M04.
    There is one light on the board that is on always, but it is not the one on the edge near the spindle output connector.

Inputs from encoders, limit switches & home switches all work. Commands for XYZ all work, as well as the spindle output at the 0-10V terminal (M03 S2000 gives me 5 volts, which I use to power a relay for the spindle on/off).

Not sure about the printer cable I have, hasn't been a problem with anything else but I haven't tried these features/outputs yet either. Common to have some wires missing / switched etc in printer cables? May find another one long enough, and check pin to pin before trying in machine.

Reset activates when I push it and resets when I activate it on Mach screen, have external soft stop wired into J8 reset terminal. No E-Stop hard wired.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got M3 to work with spindle O/C output, also M7 & M8 for coolant outputs. The problem was that I did not have the correct port & pin assignments (was using 'enable' vs 'output').

I am still trying to get the M4 command to work, but am pretty sure that is a port/pin assignment issue as well.

Thanks again for the help Larry.

DLS