Where to start?

Thread: Where to start?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Where to start?

Ok, today I was milling some parts and just when I was going to go for a smoke, the machine made a loud buzzer like sound for about 2 seconds, and then all motion stopped.
    So I reset the Viper 200 drives, ( 4 years old), and tried homing the machine and found it did it again, when trying to home the Z axis.
    I checked the Z axis drive and the red LED was flashing slowly and trip the over current(I imagine).
    So again, I reset the drive and this time I when up the stepladder and looked at the motor before the drive would shut off, and I could see the timing belt to the Z axis pulley, vibrating quite rapidly back and forth.
    I don't get it. The machine has worked fine for 3 years and all of a sudden this crap.
    Also, if I jog the axis down, it sounds like their is some squeaking happening just before the oscillations take place. If I jog fast enough, it seems to get past the point of oscillation and will move or rotate a few turns more before the squeaking sound and oscillation occurs again. This rapid oscillation is quite loud.

Also early during the day, I went past one of the limit switches on the Z axis,(override), and I think the ballscrew bottomed out before the drive tripped.
    Could it be that I damaged the ballscrew. Is this an encoder problem? I'm stumped.
    Anyone.

Oh, this is an old retrofitted Tree Journeyman 300. If needed, I can post a quick video.

Any ideas?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Where to start?

I wonder if your powersuppy filter capacitor is going letting 60hz through ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Why would X and Y be Ok? They run off same power supply. I'll try and see if encoder is OK and hmmmm what else.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tried it again this morning, and still no go. When I turn the drives on, and home the machine, the z axis trips over current and stops with amber led solid, and red led flashing rapidly.
    After successfully(manually) homing the z axis, and then homing the machine, the loud buzzer sound happens for two seconds(motor oscillates), and then drive trips with amber led solid, and red led has a slow flash to it.
    This is not good. I'm swamped with work. I just checked the other two axis, and they perform well. My next move is to disconnect the ballscrew belt, and see what happens although I don't know how this will help me as the encoder is on the screw.

Maybe I need new machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not sure either, do you want me to send you a spare drive to try ?
    PM me your address

Check your brushes too and for any shorts between the motor winding and ground,
    but yes, it shoulds like its the encoder or mechanical.

Larry

Downloads
    Uploads

The drive seems fine. It does everything its supposed to. I will have to check the brushes. Not an easy job. I'll check the encoder also but I think its OK. Hard to tell. I'll let you know if I get past this mystery.