Step2Linear - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Step2Linear

Company Representative
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Step2Linear

I just looked at the PDF, but couldn't find where they described the inhibit pin ( i could be just blind).

But if the Amp is normally disabled and is only enabled when you pull the pin low, then that should work by just connecting the S2L's enable output to it. I see the Inhibit has an internal 10K pull up already.

Larry

Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post
    I just looked at the PDF, but couldn't find where they described the inhibit pin ( i could be just blind).

But if the Amp is normally disabled and is only enabled when you pull the pin low, then that should work by just connecting the S2L's enable output to it. I see the Inhibit has an internal 10K pull up already.

Larry
    Larry,
    The Glentek 7115 Inhibit pin can be made to be active high OR low by moving a jumper on the amplifier. I will configure the pin active low and tie S2L to it.

Marty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

By the way Larry, I will be using the newer AMT113 programmed 1000 resolution on my X&Y. Will be using the stock 1000 resolution encoder on Z that came on the Glentek servo motor. X&Y on my mill used Mitutoyo 102 glass scales and tachs on the servo motors.

Have you done any bench testing with the CUI AMT113 encoders?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, getting back to working on my control conversion.
    Question, my Glentek 7115-1 servo amplifiers, used the SIGNAL input and used COMMON for reference. I see Step2Linear wiring diagram has +REF OUTPUT and -REF OUTPUT.
    My Glentek servo amps also have a +DIFFERENTIAL SIGNAL INPUT and a -DIFFERENTIAL SIGNAL RETURN. The previous controller (Galil) used the SIGNAL INPUT.
    Which should I use Larry? (I believe I send you the .pdf of the manual)

Also:
    FAULT OUT is normally high and goes to ground when there is a fault?
    ENABLE OUT is normally high until STEP2LINEAR pulls it low when its ready? So I could tie it to the negative side of the coil of a smal +5VDC relay and feed the relay with 5VDC?

Where does the +5VDC supply for the encoders come from on STEP2LINEAR? From the +/-15VDC input or from a +5VDC input (external +5VDC power supply necessary?)

Lastly, I assume all inputs labled +5VDC are all tied together on the STEP2LINEAR board? Why is the +5VDC at the FAULT & ENABLE OUT Connector required?
    Thanks!
    Marty

Last edited by Marty_Escarcega; 01-23-2015 at 07:23 PM.

Company Representative
    Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like you have the choice. Use the differntial inputs (that match the S2L outputs) or just use the 'signal" input and the S2L +output.
    You still need to connect the common, though.

>>FAULT OUT is normally high and goes to ground when there is a fault?

Yes, it pulls low. This goes back to your BOB input that should be active low with a pullup resistor to the BOB +5. You can also use an Opto coupler and connect the pos side of the opto led thru a 330ohm res to + 5volt.

>>ENABLE OUT is normally high until STEP2LINEAR pulls it low when its ready? So I could tie it to the negative side of the coil of a smal +5VDC relay and feed the relay with 5VDC?
    Yes, or use a small 12 volt relay and connect the + side of the relay to the + side of the S2L powersupply. (This way you won't get the relay spike on the 5 volt S2L buss )

>>Where does the +5VDC supply for the encoders come from on STEP2LINEAR? From the +/-15VDC input or from a +5VDC input (external +5VDC power supply necessary?)
    It comes off the D9 encoder connector. (See manual)

>>Lastly, I assume all inputs labled +5VDC are all tied together on the STEP2LINEAR board? Why is the +5VDC at the FAULT & ENABLE OUT Connector required?
    NO , actually the encoder +5V uses a separate 7805 regulator, so it can't load and cause a CPU reset. Also driving a long encoder cable can pick up noise.

The +5 volt at the Fault enable can be used to drive an Optocoupler (or small relay) for those 2 signals.

Larry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Larry,
    Actually, I am going to use the ENABLE all circuit from the Flashcut Signal Generator to turn on a relay through which your ENABLE OUT put will go through the normally open contact to the INHIBIT input on my Glentek servo ampflier. The INHIBIT input is configured be LOW to enable the amplifier and HIGH to disable it. This way, S2L will enable the amp when ready and only send the signal to the amplifier when the Flashcut Signal generator/software is online.

I'm going to shoot you an email with the Flashcut signal generator manual. I would like you to look at the STEP/DIR outputs and confirm for me how they are to be connected to S2L.

I am asking all of these questions BEFORE wiring things up, in order to understand and get it right the first time.

Lastly, S2L SUPPLIES 5VDC and is derived from the +/-15VDC power supply. A separate +5VDC regulator provides encoder power via the DB9. All correct?

Thanks Larry.
    Marty

Company Representative
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    Thanks Larry,

Lastly, S2L SUPPLIES 5VDC and is derived from the +/-15VDC power supply. A separate +5VDC regulator provides encoder power via the DB9. All correct?

Thanks Larry.
    Marty
    I'm not sure if thats a question.
    But Yes a second 7805 (under the S2L pcb ) provides +5V to the encoder. Its all powered from the incoming +- 15 volts, so you don't have to worry about it. ( Nowhere do i say you need an extra supply to power the encoders) All +5 connections shown on the S2L are outputs.

Larry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Step2Linear - Interface with Parker Compumotor BLH

I was seeking anyone who has experience using the viper step2linear boards.
    I have a new Step2Linear board almost working with a Parker BLH150 servo drive. I have Step2Linear powered up, I've been able to establish communications, I have the low power voltage divider providing 14V to the low power connections. My issue is fooling the Parker drive to not be giving me a OVERTEMP alarm signal at the moment it is powered up. It is not hot or operational. I interpret this as a cable missing fault. The self contained drive/motor combination worked as a pair for the initial test to balance the shaft motion. Now that the encoder cable is separated and broken out to interface with the Step2Linear board, the Parker servo drive is not happy that there is not an encoder cable hooked up to its DB-25 interface.
    The encoder drive's DB-25 connections have the differential A,_A, B,_B, Z,_Z etc... It also has MOT and *MOT which are associated with OVERTEMP. I was going to try to short these two or pull them to ground or +5V with a resistor but thought I should seek some advice if anyone had any experience fooling the drives to believe the encoder cable is still hooked up to the drive.
    I am still working on the inhibit circuit for the Step2Linear but know that the drive is currently unsatisfied with the missing encoder cable. It is not providing motor power at all.

The other way would be to use the auxiliary encoder signals from the servo drives 15-pin user interface to feed the step2linear but this appears contrary to the viper installation manual. The manually clearly shows the motor to be interfaced directly to the Step2Linear not connected to the drive's encoder input

If anyone out there has any advice, I would be grateful. Thanks
    Adam

pin 6-7 page 21 in section 3
    http://www.compumotor.com/manuals/BL/BLH.pdf

Company Representative
    Downloads
    Uploads

Measure whats the resistance of the temp sensor pins on the motor cable. Then use the same value resistor to fool it.

Its probably a thermistor, and the resistance changes within a range.(similar to a cars temp sensor) You can't just short it.

Larry K

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Larry thanks, I very much appreciate the support.

I did measure 100K Ohm to gnd and tried fooling it but no luck. I'll try to make a cable diverter that passes all signals through except the encoders. As soon as I enable the circuit, the Overtemp LED lights up. I've not yet been able to get the servo motor to receive current and be frozen as I did when verifying the drive function stand-alone. I do have access to the encoder info from the user 15 pin D-Sub pinout. Can I piggyback the signals back to the Step2linear or do I need to guarantee that no encoder info enters back to the drive from the main feedback cable? By this I am asking if I can ever have the feedback cable connected back to the drive or at least must I ensure that the drive never sees any encoder signals at all?
    Thanks
    Adam

Company Representative
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Adamsherman View Post
    Larry thanks, I very much appreciate the support.

I did measure 100K Ohm to gnd and tried fooling it but no luck. I'll try to make a cable diverter that passes all signals through except the encoders. As soon as I enable the circuit, the Overtemp LED lights up. I've not yet been able to get the servo motor to receive current and be frozen as I did when verifying the drive function stand-alone. I do have access to the encoder info from the user 15 pin D-Sub pinout. Can I piggyback the signals back to the Step2linear or do I need to guarantee that no encoder info enters back to the drive from the main feedback cable? By this I am asking if I can ever have the feedback cable connected back to the drive or at least must I ensure that the drive never sees any encoder signals at all?
    Thanks
    Adam
    Make a 15M- 15F adapter that connects all the motor pins to the drive except the encoder pins.

( It may work if you piggyback the encoder pins to both the drive ans S2L , but its not recommened because both devices terminal the cable and may load the signals.)

Larry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good morning,

I have CNC 8035 Fagor Machine with 3 servo motors Glentek SMA7115-1 Motion Control connected to a 3 Glentk motors. We're currently having problems with the Servo motors, we're having an external fault error. The servo motors are powered by a power supply of 160 VDC, we're trying to reset the servo motors, but we're not able to do it. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any ideas how to proceed with this issue?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast