Need Help! Viper 200 series encoder 9-pin connection problem

Thread: Viper 200 series encoder 9-pin connection problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Viper 200 series encoder 9-pin connection problem

I have been converting a YCM-30 and have reached the point of testing the encoders (US Digital E5 1000 CPR no index) but cannot get anything but 0000 from the M command in hyper terminal. Upon investigation, I discovered 5v from the power supply pin (to the encoder) but also by accident about 4.6v on each of the A,B,A-,B- also (which definitely doesn't seem correct). Anyone that can check their cards for this condition I would surely appreciate.

Page 14 of the Viper manual shows pin 1 should supply 5V to the encoder, and pins 2, 3, 4, & 5 should receive signal back from the encoder. When I measure from pin 1 to chassis ground I get +5v, and pins 2-6 have 4.6v

I only have a few more days to be able to work on this conversion before I travel again for work, so any help right away would be greatly appreciated. I called Larry Kenny but I think he may be off for the holidays.

Best regards,

Daryl Stamp

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

With the encoder connected you should see the transition from 0v to 5v on each of the encoder output pins WRT pin 9 (com) when turning the encoder Very slowly, the complement of the A & B should always show up on the /A & /B pins.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The signal should be coming from the encoder though, not present on the 9 pin connector with no encoder connected, correct? I was expecting to see 5v on pin 1, but not on the other pins. My concern is/was that voltage on the viper side going to the encoder on more than pin 1 would be a problem; since it is only expecting to see +5v on pin 1.

Thanks for the help, comments, info, I do appreciate it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dstamp View Post
    The signal should be coming from the encoder though, not present on the 9 pin connector with no encoder connected, correct?.
    The voltage that appears on the encoder input with nothing connected will all depend on the nature of the input electronics and could possibly be anything from 0 to 5v.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Al_TheMan; you are correct. I received a response from Larry Kenny late yesterday; "There will be almost 5 volts on all the encoder inputs, because they have pullup resistors."

Will be digging into this in the AM before the Grandkids wake up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Encoders are working now, my own stupidity / error. Probably the first of many such mistakes before I'm done with is project, but enough success to keep the momentum going.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have the servos running now, may be able to belt up each axis today, this is VERY exciting, feel like a kid in a candy store.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All good now, had machine running today for the first time, rally great to see the table & Z going.