drives go into fault during idle.

Thread: drives go into fault during idle.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default drives go into fault during idle.

i have a problem that i have been trying to solve for 5 months now. i had a bad crash using 1st generation 200v viper drives. yellow boards. totally my fault. so purchased 3 of the latest drives to replace. i have used vipers for 4 years now so know how to tune, connect etc. i can get great speeds up to 200ipm. and can jog all axis . this is a mill. just that i get random drive faults when in the stopped position. x,y, or z. drive do not fault when moving axis, only when stopped. it does not happen very often if the jog speeds are under 60 ipm. this never happened with the older drives. could run the jog speed at 200ipm. this is with parallel port. so thinking that perhaps signal is not sufficient from the pport
    connected up a smoothstepper. same random drive faults. i could live with 60ipm jog speeds as long as i could trust that their is no drive faults. i am baffled. suggestions?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

just ran for 4 hours some parts. set up the rapids to 200 ipm. had the x and y jog at a 45 degree vector for loading parts into vise. worked well except when there was more than 2 minutes between loading part and hit cycle start. either x or y would fault while stopped . the drives never fault while moving, only when stopped.

74 views and no suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm ,thats an odd one.
    What are all your settings ? can you post them

Larry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi Larry.
    from memory . the machine is not in front of me.
    p 2000
    i 6
    d4000

a 102
    r 100
    f 500
    b 0
    t2000
    j 1
    h 0
    c 400

voltage 123v

mach 3 settings 10000 units per inch

us digital 500 cpr
    differential line drivers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

after fussing around with the settings, y axis now not working. yellow warning light stays lit. when faulted the red led flashes 7 times. this is encoder error? new encoder modules and cables checked.

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like when you "Drilled" (being polite) the mounting holes out, a aluminum chip got under the board and shorted the regulator to the heat sink !

Larry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drives go into fault during idle.-v_drill-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

wow! am i ever stupid. so both drives this happened?

Downloads
    Uploads

No, it didn't cause the tripping out as you decribed , there was a chip under the regulator, that possible made the drive fail.

I updated the firmware, and let me know how it responds now. I added variables that trap the error# and level, to show what error cause the drive to trip.
    I mostly posted the picture to show what "Not to do", sorry if i embarrised you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

.got the drives back and up and running. found that the kp and the kd settings were way too high and were causing the y drive to fault. what worked with the older drives did not with the newest. after lowering the values of kp and kd , increasing feed forward, changing the encoder trip error settings, have had no more faulting. thanks for the help Larry.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

was using the mill for the last few days and had the random fault again. as the encoders are heds 9100 series , Larry suggested installing a capacitor of 5 uf across the Vcc and ground at the encoder module. looking up the data sheet of the encoder module , it reads that it is a 256 cpr module, not a 500 which was ordered! data sheet states that the module is count specific. US Digital shipped the wrong module with the e6d encoder assembly.