Sharnoa 4 axis retrofit - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharnoa 4 axis retrofit

Downloads
    Uploads

Encoder connection had a tiny piece of soldier between two lines. Now when I turn the motor the m valve has big changes.
    Next issue.
    With board on bank 0 (no jumpers), as soon as I power up the board, the motor takes off and the red light starts flashing rapidly. I've turned the pots up all the way but this changes nothing. It does the same thing on x and y boards. I've changed the p and d values, but get the same result.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    i_r_

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like encoder phasing, if using differential type, change A and /A connections.
    If single ended A & B.
    Try that until Larry gets back.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

IT LIVES!!!
    changed a/-a on all encoders. 3 axis held on bank0 settings. I had to increase the p&d values on x drive. Put jumpers for bank1 on all boards and saved the settings.
    On to the next challenge!
    I've been to every "electronics" store in town. Nobody carries a d25 connection cable. I will order one from mpja.com in a few moments.
    I can't wait to see this baby makeing chips!
    THANKS!!!
    i_r_machinist

Last edited by i_r_machinist; 05-28-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: cheers thing didn't work

Downloads
    Uploads

New problem.
    I had all the drives holding. I loaded sound design.xml into mach3. Put in the pin numbers on config. Saved my settings and turned the power on to the drives by releaseing the manual estop. The z axis moved a little.
    Now I get a fast flashing red light on three of the boards when I turn the power on to the drive motors. X drive seems to have no problem.
    I've turned the pots all the way up but still get the same result. The x drive pots are set about in the middle.
    thanks
    i_r_machinist

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess I'll be sending at least one board back to Larry to get fixed.
    :Note to self: Turn power off before wiggling wires to see if they are loose.
    i_r_

Downloads
    Uploads

what did you do?Check the motor tuning.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going back thru the whole tuning part. Everything was fine. All the axis held and I could put force on cw&ccw direction. I started Mach and set all of the pins.
    I'm not sure that Mach is talking to the bob.
    I have no idea what I could have done to make the boards fault out like this.
    I'll play some more in the am.
    thanks Kieth
    Kerry Bullard,aka i_r_machinist

Downloads
    Uploads

check the steps per on the motor tuning.might be way too many.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've backed up to the point of doing the initial power up of the boards. No bob or Mach connected.

What I did when I smoked the one board:
    This was after the problems started. I had found a loose wire, so I started checking the other wires. I wiggled the 120v power in on one drive and the ground wire came out, leaving the positive wire in the connection. It melted the fuse holder next to the plug.
    Here is a picture of my boards.
    have fun
    i_r_

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sharnoa 4 axis retrofit-100_4945-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

If you have the campbell bob, and you have the little axis indicator
    board you can see it all working without connecting the motors or
    even the drives.With amch loaded and the campbell xml file,using the arrow keys will tell if steps are working.

Downloads
    Uploads

I dumped mach and re-installed. When I hit the button to move an axis, the indicators on the bob light up, so at least I know its communicating. I'm trying to tune the other two axis', but the boards still fault out as soon as I turn on the dc drive power.
    i_r_

Downloads
    Uploads

A loose power wire at 120 volts on power side or motor side, can definitely damage a board. The inrush current from the powersupply is deadly.
    Send it back and i can fix it.

Does your estop circuit turn off the 12 volt side ? If this power has a bounce in it (from a relay or contactor) it can cause the drive to blow because the cpu doesn't initialize properly. I've recently changed the code for a better delay and soft startup.

Larry

Last edited by Larken; 06-06-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The 12 power supply to the boards doesn't run through my estop at this time.I have it connected to a power strip with a diferent ground source. It is on the same power strip as the pc. The x board comes up everytime. I've gone through the initial tuning, but the two boards still fault. The green and red light will come on, the red light will go out, the red light by the pot will come on, go out, then the red light will start flashing. Do I need to send the other boards back for the softstart code?

i_r_

ps. I'll get the burnt board in the mail next week.

Downloads
    Uploads

Kerry, In a previous post you said you applied power to the drives by releasing the Estop. Is this turning on the main power ?

Turning on the main power after the control power (12V) is on can cause the drives to jump and possible have a current surge if the motor has moved or the drive has recieved step pulses .

Its best to do it the otherway. Turn on the main power first then the 12volts or Turn on the 2 powers at the same time .

note; If the drives lights the red and yellow leds (when you first power it) and then goes off, you may have burnt one of the upper mosfets .

Downloads
    Uploads

might be an idea to also put varistors across the servo
    transformer output.If you used the original transformer
    1 on each phase.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sharnoa 4 axis retrofit-varistor-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I added a mod to the Viper 200 today that will fix your problem.

Up to now, the drive didn't have low voltage detection on the power side. Since the drive is opto-isolated the control side didn't know if there was voltage on the power side. I've made a mod that uses the current warning optocoupler as a low voltage monitor (or no voltage on power side). This takes away the current warning adjustment, but adds a needed feature.
    I've also added soft start on reset and the choice to have the drive reset when main power is reapplied or to wait and soft start on repower.

Of the repairs of Viper 200's i've had, most people have said it happened after a reset. So this will make the drive more flexable on how the user has connected his Estop circuit.

So if you send back your drives I can add this feature.

Larry

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll pack them up this evening and get them in the mail tomorrow. Can you post the adress so I don't have to look it up?
    Thanks
    i_r_

Downloads
    Uploads

Larken Automation,
    5350 Canotek Rd Unit 13,
    Ottawa Ontario,
    Canada, K1J-9E1

(613) 746 5685

Send them by mail if you can since couriers will charge a brokerage fee

Larry

Downloads
    Uploads

Guys,
    Keep posting on this project. I'm following it all, in case I have to do one to mine.

Thanks,
    JAckal

Downloads
    Uploads

Boxed up the boards last night. Will mail them at noon today.I'm going to work on wiring my VFD while waiting on the vipers. I also have to find out what a varistor is.
    Don't worry Jackal, I'm even documenting my mistakes. Are you the Jackal from PM? Man, those guys get rabid when anyone mentions retrofit.
    onward thru the fog
    i_r_

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast