CNC Spindle Cable VFD Ring Connector Installation Tips..

Thread: CNC Spindle Cable VFD Ring Connector Installation Tips..

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Spindle Cable VFD Ring Connector Installation Tips..

Quote Originally Posted by storm2313 View Post
    I hope this helps some of you.
    This is not how a Shield should be Terminated. attached is what you can expect from this kind of shield Termination.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Spindle Cable VFD Ring Connector Installation Tips..-shield-grounding-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I hope this helps some of you.
    This also points out the value in grounding shield both ends when equi-potential bonding is in place.
    See section Chapter 6. from Siemens.

Attached Files Attached Files
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you guys for your input, but from this video below I've done on the HY VFD manual which was the manufacture of the spindle it reflects this isn't best practice.

I've also attached some educational references myself that reflect the proper way to terminate shielded cable. My DS Flexion cable is actually double shielded for mitigation of both frequencies of EMI.

Links to research confirming I received the proper education in college.

https://help.campbellsci.com/CR350/s...ound-loops.htm

RSP Supply

Network Encyclopedia

AMEC Instruments

Electrical And Electronic Tech

BTCInstumentation

Physics Videos by Eugene Khutoryansky

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you guys for your input, but from this video below I've done on the HY VFD manual which was the manufacture of the spindle it reflects this isn't best practice.

You can go all day with this Bs, and I could counter every one of them with articles showing the opposite, of what you are doing, which is incorrect, your lack of education shows what you are doing is adding an antenna to the drain, and has a very small surface area of contact which is wrong, years ago when there was not much information on the subject they used to do it like you are doing it, this can be used for low frequency use, most VFD Drives and the High Frequency Spindles are using 300 to 1000Hz so this is where the problems start with the way you are doing it, if you are fixated with using the drain, then you wind the drain around the shield and directly clamp to Ground there are more than one way to do this to bond the shield to Ground

You are also using examples of signal cable use, which also will have problems when done like you are showing in your video

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

]
    My experience in industrial electronic goes back quite a few decades, when i first practiced it there was very little in the way of L.V. or HF used in most industrial hardware.
    With the introduction of LV electronic control, there was a concern that large EMI fields would affect LV control conductors, in order to prevent this, cables were consistently shielded, but there was a fear that using these cables in high power systems, where ground loops may appear, this energy could be transferred to LV control, so it became normal practice for one end of shielded cables be connected to earth GND.in order to combat induced EMI in these installation's.
    The one issue with grounding one end, especially radiated EMI from high power, high frequency conductors such as VFD's etc, the open end shield can become a very good radiator of EMI, Hi tech companies such as Siemens and others in the industry, recommend using a practice of Equi-Potential bonding, when this is practiced, both ends of an otherwise radiating shield can be connected to earth GND.
    I have Used this method with virtually all the VFD;s I have installed over the decades with no problem.
    The one end grounding is a throw back to the older concerns which have now been eliminated due to the Equi-potential (Earth) bonding practice when carried out properly.
    As per section 6 of the Siemens paper.

Last edited by Al_The_Man; 04-24-2022 at 01:21 PM.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.