Using Shielded Cable, & Grounding

Thread: Using Shielded Cable, & Grounding

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Using Shielded Cable, & Grounding

I hope this helps those of you with "ghosting" from switches, and E-stop faults.

Not using shielded cable correctly is the number one cause.

These two videos reflect the correct way to use it.

This video covers the overview of shielded cable which is essential to a stable system.

This is a live test reflecting a shielded drain not connected properly, It reflects the noise is still present making the cable ineffective.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Using Shielded Cable, & Grounding

There is the trend for some years now to ground both ends of shielded cables when equi-potential bonding is implemented.
    See Siemens PDF ch 6.
    Al.

Attached Files Attached Files
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by storm2313 View Post
    I hope this helps those of you with "ghosting" from switches, and E-stop faults.

Not using shielded cable correctly is the number one cause.

These two videos reflect the correct way to use it.

This video covers the overview of shielded cable which is essential to a stable system.

This is a live test reflecting a shielded drain not connected properly, It reflects the noise is still present making the cable ineffective.
    Great explanation!!

I do have two questions:

1) On the shielded spindle to VFD cable does the drain wire only need to go to earth ground on the VFD side? There seems to be a bit of a debate on this when it comes to shielded VFD cable.

2) On my controller I built I used standard building wiring for my 240v AC power that supplies power to the disconnect, distribution blocks, breakers, and that feeds my VFD as well as my DC power supplies. I don’t have any input wires or DC voltage wires running near them. But after watching your video I’m concerned that I should have used shielded power wiring.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Using Shielded Cable, & Grounding

I have never used a shield on any power supply wiring, also never seen it on any of the High-end CNC systems.
    For servo motor power, DC, BLDC or AC I have always used twisted conductors in order to cancel and EMI etc.
    If possible, the ground wire connected at both ends runs parallel to the twisted conductors, although in many cases this is not possible with pre-made cables.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I have never used a shield on any power supply wiring, also never seen it on any of the High-end CNC systems.
    For servo motor power, DC, BLDC or AC I have always used twisted conductors in order to cancel and EMI etc.
    If possible, the ground wire connected at both ends runs parallel to the twisted conductors, although in many cases this is not possible with pre-made cables.
    Al.
    Ok so I shouldn’t worry about the AC wires. But I still want to know if my spindle cable needs the cable shield drain wire connected to my spindle and on the VFD side connected to the earth ground? Right now I only have it connected to the VFD side to the earth. There seems to be some debate on if it should be connected to the spindle and the VFD side or just on the VFD side. I can post pictures if it helps.

Thanks,
    Dan