ViaCAD Pro 9 Beta Invite (PC/Mac)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ViaCAD Pro 9 Beta Invite (PC/Mac)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default ViaCAD Pro 9 Beta Invite (PC/Mac)

Hi All

I'm one of the developers working on ViaCAD Pro 9 for PC and Mac. This is a curve/surface/solid modeler based on the Dassault/ACIS modeling kernel which exports to a variety for formats for CNC.

I've developed a couple of new features that I'm looking for feedback on.
    --Combining organic SubDivision modeling with a precision kernel and suitability for manufacturing (via dxf/stl)
    --Some new woodworking joints (dado, rabbet, dovetail, tongue & groove)

If you are interested in downloading a fully functional WIP build I'd appreciate some feedback regarding how useful/practical the new features are.

Download : http://www.punchcadlabs.com/page7/page7.php

I've made some videos of the subd modeling and joints tools here: Video Library

I'll be monitoring this thread if anyone has questions or feedback.

Thank you!

Tim

Tim Olson
    CAD Developer
    Evolution Software

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tim,
    I'd love to work with it and give you some feedback, however the link you intended for downloading brings me to the same page as the link for the Video Library.
    -Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

On the right side of that page are links. Perhaps beta updates........

Downloads
    Uploads

Signed up there too, but haven't got an email back so it doesn't appear to be automated.

Downloads
    Uploads

The link appears to have been off target and instead of going to "page7.php" it was going to "page3.htm". Here's the correct link for the download signup:

Beta Download

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cadsoft View Post

I've developed a couple of new features that I'm looking for feedback on.
    --Combining organic SubDivision modeling with a precision kernel and suitability for manufacturing (via dxf/stl)
    --Some new woodworking joints (dado, rabbet, dovetail, tongue & groove)

I'll be monitoring this thread if anyone has questions or feedback.

Thank you!

Tim

Tim Olson
    CAD Developer
    Evolution Software
    Tim,
    From my initial look at the software, there are a couple of things that I can comment on. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts later as I've used it more, but this I'm sure there is some degree of timeliness that you may like as thoughts come up.

First, I use Viacad 2d/3d V8 regularly to export models for use in CAM software. Generally, I prefer to use either SAT or IGES files when I export since most mid-level or up CAM systems will work off of the solid model geometry directly rather than needing a mesh. To achieve a similar finish quality with an STL generally requires a very high triangle count, particularly where there are arc-based curved surfaces. Many CAM software products will arc-fit a toolpath to a curved STL surface, but the degree of faceting will have an effect on how true to shape the result is. What might be useful is a setting in the STL export that automates the maximum feasible resolution that an STL of a give part can be saved with. The current default setting is quite low resolution, while adjusting the sliders to produce a higher resolution model is very hit or miss in my experience. I think many of us are simply not knowledgeable enough to get the correct settings to maximize the mesh resolution and it often results in an error in saving. So again, if there were a "maximum" resolution button to accompany the "default" button, which provided a reasonably high density mesh, that would be a huge benefit to those who use CAM systems based on STL models.

This relates a bit to one of the other features of your product, which is that it works on Mac platforms. While I don't use a Mac personally, those who do have very limited options for CAM software that natively operates in Mac OS. One that is in a beta format of sorts, and currently exists in Windows format, is Meshcam. Meshcam works exclusively with STLs and is really one of a very few Mac products available (not sure if I can even name another off the top of my head). If a Mac user were to purchase a CAM system in the next year, I suspect that Meshcam would be on the shortlist. So for the Mac user, a maximum resolution output might be very handy since their options for solid model CAM are slim to none anyways.

Here's a blog from Meshcam regarding Mac OS release:
    http://www.grzsoftware.com/blog/

You also asked for feedback on the woodworking joint tools. Overall I think they are excellent for modeling these features and I haven't had any problem with using them so far. I'm not sure if you are extending your interest in CAM compatibility to these features, but I'll give you some thoughts in case you are. I've operated a large CNC router for many years now, and have produced dozens, if not hundreds, of kitchens and bath assemblies; some that I finished up for clients and others that I provided parts on a contract basis to other builders. Constructing drawers through CNC/CAM is really a difficult prospect because it is very difficult to generate the traditional corner joints via CNC. You can do the basic dado and rabbit style joints, but beyond that it starts to get complicated due to the radius of the tool being left in the stock corners. I have not been in the cabinet business for a few years now, but when I was I had produced 2d toolpaths for all the common sizes of drawer boxes to produce a box joint using two tools. The initial cuts were made with a 1/4" bit, followed by a 1/8" radius bit to round over the corners to fit into the joints properly. Here's a quick sketch of the joints I produced (I rounded the straight bit size to 6mm and 3mm for the radius bit). These joints were very strong and looked pretty nice in birch euro-plywood (very modern looking). I'm not sure how easy this would be to produce in a parametric manner, but probably not really any more difficult than the dovetail, which is really quite impressive! Here's a pretty close model to what I found was possible to cut with the CNC, though similar concepts could be applied to dovetail parts as well. The tool radius is the main thing that has to be considered:

Downloads
    Uploads

I was quite happy to see this offer, as I have not been able to use my copy of viacad on this POS Windows 8 computer because of terrrible, TERRIBLE graphic problems. Viacad is not the only program with video problems on this thing. In any event, I sure was hoping to no longer have the problems, but sadly, they are still there. It seems a little better, but only a very little. I get white squares showing up as you hover over snap points, and things go completely haywire if I attempt to change the workplane, for example choosing 3 points pretty much blows the whole screen into a white mess with black lines.

And YES, I HAVE spent quite a bot of time with different drivers. Its a laptop with Intel HD Graphics 3000..... While the laptop works for all nonessentials, Cad/Cam fails quite miserably.

Chris L

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by datac View Post
    I was quite happy to see this offer, as I have not been able to use my copy of viacad on this POS Windows 8 computer because of terrrible, TERRIBLE graphic problems. Viacad is not the only program with video problems on this thing. In any event, I sure was hoping to no longer have the problems, but sadly, they are still there. It seems a little better, but only a very little. I get white squares showing up as you hover over snap points, and things go completely haywire if I attempt to change the workplane, for example choosing 3 points pretty much blows the whole screen into a white mess with black lines.

And YES, I HAVE spent quite a bot of time with different drivers. Its a laptop with Intel HD Graphics 3000..... While the laptop works for all nonessentials, Cad/Cam fails quite miserably.
    From the Punchcad Forums:

Yes this worked on my Windows 8.1 machine as well.

Delete the wininet.dll located in the

.../Punch! Software/ViaCAD Pro/exe folder
    .../Punch! Software/Shark FX/exe folder

Tim
    Hopefully that will solve your issues.

Downloads
    Uploads

I read that in the forum.... While I have quite a few "wininet.dll"'s, I have exactly ZERO in any of the punch directories (Show hidden files is on).

I did not stick win 8.1 on this thing, but even if I did, I dont see how or why that file would be added to any punch directories either.

Forget all the complaints about the Win8 interface... Win 8 SUCKS because nothing "Important" runs on it !

Chris L

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is now 11-22-13 and Win7-64 still has the same problem. Tgoy

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tgoy View Post
    It is now 11-22-13 and Win7-64 still has the same problem. Tgoy
    I use Viacad on both a desktop and a laptop with Windows 7 64 bit, both Home Premium and Professional versions. I've had no issues with Viacad in either of them and I have not had to do any sort of work arounds either. I just install it, run as an administrator for the licensing activation (on my personal copy, not the beta), then set it back to not needing administrator rights. What is it that you are experiencing? If it's graphics related, my best guess is that you are having trouble with a video card driver. Update your drivers following the manufacturer's instructions and be sure to remove the old ones in the process if necessary.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Via cad not popular enough to have it's own sub section? In use it and it does not get a lot easier or more intuitive in my opinion. Does 2d and 3d, I was surprised it is not listed in its own sub section. Many of the ones listed seem more obscure to me.

Downloads
    Uploads

When I have to quickly make a 3d object for whatever machining related work, I always end up using viacad (Rather than Rhino, Moi or Alibre). I find it far more intuitive than anything else I can afford, but some of that might come from the fact that I used Ashlar where I worked some years ago. They (thanks to leased Viacad technology, Ashlar was light years ahead of anyone else back in the day).

I'm certainly ready to buy the latest version thanks the grief forced upon us by Microsoft and this thing called windows 8. But, I spent a few hours here and there screwing around with video drivers in attempt to get the latest beta working and its a no go. Its completely unusable.

For example, if you draw a simple square in 2d, change the view to isometric, then drag a box around it to select it in order to extrude it, the minute you select the first point, it looks like a different window pops up with the entity back in 2d top view.

I can't get 3 minutes into anything with it.

So, the question is WHY ? While I see someone else claiming they got it to run with windows 8.1, I am NOT going to update this thing to 8.1 because plenty of people are claiming other things stop working. I only get things done right now on my old XP box.

I'm curious why some computers have a file called wininit in the viacad folders but mine does not ? And I have looked ! My video card is an Intel HD Graphics 3000. I do have other various cad programs that are working fine.

Chris L

Downloads
    Uploads

I am happy to see viacad have it own place here on the cnc zone. I have been using it since V6 and was using my ancient copy of Drawing board before that.
    I am using a laptop with Intel HD3000 graphics and V8 won't run worth a damn. Installed V9 Beta and it works right out of the "box".
    Windows * and now 8.1. My sons computer runs V6 just fine but have not upgraded him to V8 yet.

While some people say it is a "cad problem I run OneCNC XR5 (cad/cam)on this laptop with no problems whatsoever including simulating the machining process. The software guys need to be able to make a program that will run on a laptop. I have a great computer in the shop with a nice video card, lots of memory and such. The nice shop computer is in the shop where it is cold. At 4:30 in the morning with a nice fresh cup of coffee and a bowl of heart healthy cereal I want to be in the house with my 17" laptop doing some doodling and getting ready for the day.
    Put a warning on the box that it will run slower on certain hardware but make it run on all hardware.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S.
    The intial trial of the V9 Beta is going well. Was able to do all the basic 2d stuff and I will try to do some more extensive testing later.

Mike

Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tim
    Do you or anyone else know the main/major differences between Viacad 2d/3d v8 and v9? I can purchase v8 for half the price of v9 and wanted to know what I d be missing. Information on the website doesn't seem to explain this. Thanks in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Levictus View Post
    Tim
    Do you or anyone else know the main/major differences between Viacad 2d/3d v8 and v9? I can purchase v8 for half the price of v9 and wanted to know what I d be missing. Information on the website doesn't seem to explain this. Thanks in advance.
    Yeah, it's there, it's just hard to find sometimes.

ViaCAD Pro 9 Mac WIP Update | PunchCAD Blog | Shark Attach

Mac preceeds pc with punch (people are used to the other way around.)

I just purchased V9 pro and am posting questions in the punch forums. May post some here, but right now, it's more related to builds and access to them, which may be better suited for tim in his forum for now.

Downloads
    Uploads

is there any word on the progress of the mesh to solid plug-in . A while back I briefly talked with Tim thru email in concerns to some of the meshes that I tend to deal with .
    Kinda hoping that the plug-in is coming along ok , and I hope it'll be available with viacad pro and not just shark

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

im curious for this program..
    I have a very good experiment with subd modelers..

an obj format what actually made of quads, that can be subdivided well and that will be smooth..

converting solids directly to stl that what causing so many bad model..
    if mesh is organized, then it will be smooth..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    Kinda hoping that the plug-in is coming along ok , and I hope it'll be available with viacad pro and not just shark
    +1 here....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    an obj format what actually made of quads, that can be subdivided well and that will be smooth...
    I actually upgraded to 9 for the new subD stuff. I haven't dug in yet to speak to it. I'll post up about it when I get a few things nailed down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast