My KX3, tweaks and various stuff - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My KX3, tweaks and various stuff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi again

Door painted and installed. Took some tweaking to get the door to slide in and out without scraping anything. Not the cleverest design Ive made, but it will do. Still need to add a handle.

My KX3, tweaks and various stuff
    From KX3

From KX3

Spray test. Full flow at a 12mm end mill. Turns out that the coolant the goes beneath the bellow cover runs right out the back. More silicone and some small plates will do the trick i hope.
    From KX3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking sharp!, compliments on the enclosure. How is the slip-stick on the Z?

What tooling do you use for the quick change? Not the tormach? Is this one using R8 or ISO30?

Downloads
    Uploads

We have very similar enclosures, I am re-working mine and love too tinker. Will make my own blog of the updates. Love your enclosure though, and sealing the first time around did not go over well, I located the gaps! Other than those, it was pretty good.

Nice stuff.

-Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't you leak though by the door where it open too?

I'm trying to go for a HAAS look on mine, they get really dirty fast!

-Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You mean the slot in side? Some minor sprays find the way through when running at full speed with full flood coolant, but nothing to worry about

Downloads
    Uploads

Really? Man, i would figure it would be spitting out there!

Love the enclosure!

-Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

buikpijn, im not sure what you mean but slip-stick?

Right now im using regular R8 tooling, the ATC is set on hold for now as other projects takes up my time. I wanted to make a semi ATC, tormach style, but I couldnt get the R8 collet I bought to run true and so far I have gotten along just fine with manual toolchange

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Slip stick, that's the will to stand still for a dovetail, it tends to bind from a standstill to a move. Good oil and tight adjustment can help, but a dovetail has got slip-stick, unless you are using a well balanced counterbalance.

With fewer words; any noticeable backlash on Z?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, I learned a new expression:-) I havent taken the time to measure the z backlash, ive seen other here on the zone that have had succes with adjusting the z axis and making a bracket to stiffen the column. I dont think I will get to do any improment on the machine until I get to move to my own place, probably will be a couple of years:-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

helloooo, we need updates!!!!

Seriously, awesome build. I am planning on a CNC mill and lathe soon and I might have to make 2 of your enclosures, 1 for each.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What kinds of updates?:-) The machine is more or less finished, or lets just say that it can mill. Right now my focus is on completing my lathe project which has been ongoing for 1½ year, maybee even more.

Other than that I have dived into the world of electronics and are building robots now, which ofcause spaws the need for more machines:-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You said once before that you would do things different with your enclosure. Other than the thickness of the metal. Would you do anything different with the layout or the size of the exclosure?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The main problem with the current enclosure is actually not the enclosure itself, but the stock way covers of the machine. They do not provide a very good cover as there is free access from the sides and quite easy access to the ballscrews.

Im in the process of building the enclosure for my lathe at the moment, and im bolting things together rather than welding. It makes for a lot easier access when tweeking the machine. Also take into consideration what door mechanisme you want. Sliding doors are cool, but hinged doors are a lot easier to make

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the thoughts. Myself, I have the SX3 that I modified myself but the work envelope will be similar.

Some things I noticed were that when you had a larger plate of material that hung out of the door a fair distance. I wondered if the depth of the enclosure may need to be longer. I have had times that I had similar cutting jobs or needed a hole that was larger than any bits that I had so I hung them off of the mill and interpolated the holes for shafting etc. Would you have made the enclosure a few inches deeper to accomodate larger pieces. (Within reason of course.) Maybe a couple hundred more mm.

Also, what are your thoughts on having just 2 sliding doors in the middle rather than 1 large one? Your slide design would work great with that with smaller slides for each side. Then it would eliminate the opening on the end for the large door.

I think I am going to rebuild my enclosure this summer and I really like your ideas on that one. It looks very factory and sturdy. I just need to find somewhere that sells the sheet steel like that around here.

Would you mind if I used some of your ideas?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Make the door opening just a tad lower than the table, this way you can do large objects hanging outside the door. You could make it a inch or two deeper. When my y axis is fully extended, i cannot open the door:-) i cannot remember why i ended up with a single door, probably because the cabinet have had to be wider if i wanted the same opening

Downloads
    Uploads

How's the mill doing? It's been some time since your last post? I'm in the process of possibly buying a kx3 also and want to build an enclosure identical to yours. Any chance you have the plans?

Thanks!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The enclosure was pretty much just a design-as-you-build. I actually sold the mill, didn't have any room for it anywhere. It was a nice machine, but consider if you can use it without a full enclosure. It was a lot of work to make it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My KX3, tweaks and various stuff

Try and remember really hard, were you able to use the stock drawbar with this disc springs??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Before you buy a KX3 you might want to chat with me. I am in BC and have had some experiences with one. I still have it.
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Experiences as in good or bad?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast