Newbie Retrofitting Old Kitamura

Thread: Retrofitting Old Kitamura

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Retrofitting Old Kitamura

Theres a Kitamura Mycenter 1 and Mycenter3b near me that i can get dirt cheap and im thinking about buying one or the other cutting out all the electronics and then adding new ones.

Im thinking a UCCNC controller or Masso with step and direction drivers and then replacing the servos with Clearpath. These seem beefy and until i get the machine i wont know size required.

https://teknic.com/model-info/CPM-SD...lttqmOtJ5qqJpQ

if i drop 10k into it and i have a modern control and some serious rigidity.... nothing quite out there that can do that for that cost.

Before i buy this thing and dive in, anyone have any thoughts?

I know they have Turcite ways but its cast under that, and i was even thinking of removing turcite and adding some beefy linear rails.
    If this thing isnt cutting as deep as it originally did, im ok with that. I still think it would be leagues ahead of something like a tormach 440.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Retrofitting Old Kitamura

Seems like a reasonable idea. Certainly something that I would do, and have done. There is no substitute for a massive machine.

You might look at DMM Tech servos also. Compatible with step & direction, and price comparable with ClearPath with better resolution.

Rather that replacing the original turcite ways with linear rails, give the machine a try first as it is and see what the results are. You might find it to be OK.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Seems like a reasonable idea. Certainly something that I would do, and have done. There is no substitute for a massive machine.

You might look at DMM Tech servos also. Compatible with step & direction, and price comparable with ClearPath with better resolution.

Rather that replacing the original turcite ways with linear rails, give the machine a try first as it is and see what the results are. You might find it to be OK.
    Definitely will, thanks for the feedback Jim.

Ill post up as i go

Downloads
    Uploads

Aren't boxways more rigid than linear guides? I think they usually replace boxways with roller guides for the speed gain. If you wanna go cheaper or more torque for the same price there's Lichuan or Wenling Yuhai or CTB.

What about the spindle? Is there a spindle cartridge in the machine(s)?