Yet another epoxy granite mill - Page 3

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another epoxy granite mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Yet another epoxy granite mill

Another and cheaper option would be to just use some sort of leveling bolt, like this:
    https://uk.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110300510150/

...and then put a seating plate below that:
    https://uk.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110300510240/

Downloads
    Uploads

My machine is very similar to this.

https://sc01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1wg1wO...XXXV.jpg_.webp

or to this :

https://www.facebook.com/VulcanMachineCo/

Difference is the column guides are more widely spaced, and I got 2 ballscrews on there instead of one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by badhabit View Post
    With these guys:
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...834288030.html

...haven't gotten them yet, so can't vouch for quality etc.... it is always sort of a gamble with these suppliers, but we'll see when they arrive...
    Have you maybe received them by now ? I'm wondering what kind of quality they have as i need them for my machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lukahr View Post
    Have you maybe received them by now ? I'm wondering what kind of quality they have as i need them for my machine
    Not yet, but they are on their way:-) Got an shipment-update from them yesterday, so maybe later this week...

/Thomas

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lukahr View Post
    They arrived a couple of days ago and today i had the time to unwrap them and have a look at what they made. I think i'm satisfied so far, they seem to slide very good and they seem sturdy. The "finish" is not "5 star" worthy, more like a 3-4 star, e.g. the welding and corner allignment is kinda....umm...."not how i would have made it"? :-) But i'm pretty sure it will do the job just fine... I've added a bunch of pictures, let me know if there is anything in particular you are interested in...
    Yet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-21-jpgYet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-20-jpgYet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-19-jpgYet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-18-jpgYet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-17-jpgYet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-16-jpgYet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-15-jpg

/Thomas

Downloads
    Uploads

Today the lasercut steel for the z-axis and cross table arrived. Lots of grinding and welding awaits:-)
    Yet another epoxy granite mill-img_0916-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome, where did you source steel and cutting?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Waynekofuco View Post
    Awesome, where did you source steel and cutting?
    Just a somewhat local company... ( https://www.staermoseindustry.com )

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, it seems like i'm "back on track" with the mouldwork again. I had a "minor" issue with my sheetrouter after i moved it to another shop... i forgot to re-align the two motors moving the gantry, so X-Y was not 100% perpendicular :-( This resulted in me wasting hours of milling and expensive phenolic plywood(~1000USD)... dang it! Well, lesson learned! Got it aligned perfectly, again, ordered the plywood, again, and milled the parts for the form, again... and this time the pieces fit together quite a bit better and the mould is square this time around ;-)

I'm currently assemblying it (again). Here is a a picture of both the bottom(stand on it's end) and top form:
    Yet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-23-jpgYet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-22-jpg
    ...neither is fully assembled yet, but will be in the next couple of days...

/Thomas

Downloads
    Uploads

Bottom mould is completly assembled now. All bare or sawn edges are taped of with releasetape and the mould is ready for a coat of releasefilm before mounting all the anchors:
    Yet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-24-jpgYet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-26-jpg
    I was in doubt how i should seal these ends, but ended using the tape. I did consider painting the ends and then wax them, but almost nomatter what i do, there will always be some sort of impression in the EG, either from the wood structure or from the tape. With the tape i at least know it will release very easy...and most of the casting will be covered anyways:-)

I originally added ribbing on the underside of the mould to help support the mould and to somewhat isolate it from the concrete floor during the curingprocess. However, i'm not sure it helps anything now that i've assembled it :-)
    Yet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-25-jpg

The top mould is fully assembled, but i didn't manage to finish up the top-mould with tape tonight...maybe tomorrow :-) This is how it looks now, currently upside-down:
    Yet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-27-jpg

(Before anyone asks, this is the tape i've used: https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/flash-release-tape I've used it previously and it's nice to work with, sticks pretty good while still removeable and nothing sticks to the top side of the tape...)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All- Heres a video on mould release systems...Thomas looking really good....Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Heres a video on mould release systems...
    I've bought this together with the epoxy components: https://shop1.r-g.de/en/art/165105

... however, my experiments with the "phenolic plywood" and epoxy showed that there was no need for any form of release was/film. I made multiple tests: no release agent applied, only wax applied, wax+PVA applied, only PVA applied and all of them released equally easy(and quite easy in fact)... and since i'm taping off all bare wood i'm not concerned at all...So i'm only applying it just to be safe ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Beautiful molds, do you do woodworking professionally?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ardenum View Post
    Beautiful molds, do you do woodworking professionally?
    Well, thank you But no, i've never worked much with wood and this is my first project of this kind...

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally(!) done with all the steel inserts... around 200kg of drilled and tapped steel, ready to be sandblasted and then put into the moulds!
    Yet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-3-jpgYet another epoxy granite mill-image-ios-4-jpg

...casting-day is fast approaching!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Thomas - Fatherhood takes time. When you get the parts blasted you will get flash rusting. Are you going to coat the parts immediately in epoxy? or touch up prior to casting? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

I tend to now use "Wet blasting" and put an additive in the water. Stops flash rust.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi T4S - But that would probably be an oil? then it will interfere with the epoxy bonding to it? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Thomas - Fatherhood takes time. When you get the parts blasted you will get flash rusting. Are you going to coat the parts immediately in epoxy? or touch up prior to casting? Peter
    My plan was to cast directly after the blasting. But since we are fast approaching the holidays and the schedule might slip, i'm considering getting the blasting company to apply a light "metalization" to the inserts to avoid rust. I think it's just hot-sprayed zinc, so i don't think it has a negative impact on anything(?) other than my wallet ;-)...

Downloads
    Uploads

how 'flash' is this rusting? Are we talking minutes? Coating in epoxy sounds like a good option.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast