Ram-type milling machine - Page 5

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Ram-type milling machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ram-type milling machine

Yes design like this was also on my list but with that design i loose some vertical z axis machining space. For now I will stick with side ATC like in post before.

So little update, my electronic components are over customs and are waiting for transport from my nearest port to my house.
    Also I did get quotes for Nanodur Compound 5941 - 480€/ton
    That is not to bad and i need exactly 1pallet /1ton of material for my machine

I need to organize transport and then I order this material also.

One photo for easier imagination of the machine size (man in CAD is 185cm tall)
    I will need to make some additional legs for machine as this working table height is too low for ergonomic working environment
    - should machine like that even have legs or should be just fixed in place, bolted down or cast in place ?
    I still have 25cm of room to play with after that i'm too high with z axis :/

Ram-type milling machine-8-jpg

Last edited by lukahr; 04-07-2021 at 04:30 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all !

And today my package arrived Yaaay

Ram-type milling machine-img_9362-jpg

Ram-type milling machine-img_9363-jpg

I think that new spindle will not fit my old machine hah
    This thing is Monster !

Ram-type milling machine-img_9380-jpg

Ram-type milling machine-img_9365-jpg

I still need to check if everything is as ordered and if all items arrived but from quick check it looks ok
    Here are all items unpacked and ready for me to dive into

Ram-type milling machine-img_9374-jpg

Last edited by lukahr; 04-09-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Will you be doing any automatic lubrication? If so, single line parallel or progressive?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ardenum View Post
    Will you be doing any automatic lubrication? If so, single line parallel or progressive?
    Haven't really thinked hard about that, but yes automatic oil lubrication, probably single line with volumetric valves.

Something like this.
    Ram-type milling machine-lubrication-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Today I have spend more time on CAD model, so there is some progress with design.
    I need to push things forward and start to make final design so I can start making molds.

Ram-type milling machine-9-jpg

I decided that saddle on bridge will be casted but this piece will be from Nanodur E80 with Durgrid. All other parts will be E45
    Today I have also ordered 1 pallet (1000kg)NANODUR® Compound 5941. All other aggregates I will acquire locally.

Here is one more photo of all the electronic that is waiting for me to play with.
    Controller + breakoutboard and rellay board
    2 small servos are 750w (tool changer and 4 axis)
    1 longer one is 1kw with brake for z axis
    bigger two are 2.6kw for X and Y

Ram-type milling machine-10-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Luka - Coming along nicely - Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

I simplified my base of the machine. Casting will now be much simpler.
    Coolant will be collected in enclosure from sheet metal probably stainless steel.

I'm having some troubles with getting servomotor mounting brackets. I will probably need to custom make those myself.
    As this combination 130x130mm and 100x100 motor with FK20 is not so common or everywhere is out of stock.

Somo photos of progress.
    Ram-type milling machine-10-jpgRam-type milling machine-11-jpg

I have also unpacked and assemble precision ground ballscrew to measure them and check how everything fit together.
    They look really high quality and nice

Ram-type milling machine-img_9423-jpgRam-type milling machine-img_9426-jpgRam-type milling machine-img_9427-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you try Syk motor mounts? (https://www.syk.tw/product/category/F000002) I've been looking at the MBCS type with integrated bearings. You can mail maxtenso at https://maxtenso.aliexpress.com/store/5080383 for a quote, even if something isn't on his store.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ardenum View Post
    Did you try Syk motor mounts? (https://www.syk.tw/product/category/F000002) I've been looking at the MBCS type with integrated bearings. You can mail maxtenso at https://maxtenso.aliexpress.com/store/5080383 for a quote, even if something isn't on his store.
    Yes i'm looking at SYK motor mounts and i have also put them in CAD model but cant find store to buy them. I have tried contact them directly but no success there.
    I have also send message to MAXTENSO store at aliexpress but haven got answer yet, i hope they can supply them .
    I would need
    1pcs MBA20-X
    2pcs MBB20L-G

Otherwise i will have to make them myself.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Luka- You can also try BST they will get SYK in. Peter

https://bstmotion.aliexpress.com/store/314742

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Luka- You can also try BST they will get SYK in. Peter

https://bstmotion.aliexpress.com/store/314742
    Thank you for remembering me, I have already ordered from this store multiple times but I forgot on them, will ask them too.

In the meantime MAXTENSO has answered they have them, but prices are really high.
    For bigger 2 block they want 145$ per pcs, for smaller one 60$ + 280$ shipping which in total comes to 630$ and if I add customs and import taxes I'm at cca 800$ for 3 motor mounts
    For that price I'm sure someone can make them for me from solid steel block.

Or I'm thinking to make them from Aluminium which I can mill on my old machine and later make them myself from steel when my new machine will be up and running.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lukahr View Post
    Thank you for remembering me, I have already ordered from this store multiple times but I forgot on them, will ask them too.

In the meantime MAXTENSO has answered they have them, but prices are really high.
    For bigger 2 block they want 145$ per pcs, for smaller one 60$ + 280$ shipping which in total comes to 630$ and if I add customs and import taxes I'm at cca 800$ for 3 motor mounts
    For that price I'm sure someone can make them for me from solid steel block.

Or I'm thinking to make them from Aluminium which I can mill on my old machine and later make them myself from steel when my new machine will be up and running.
    Yup I had a quote for 150EUR per piece for steel motor mounts for 130st size, locally. That's a new tactic for aliexpress, previously shipping was always max $50 but now they just do $300 for something that costs $50.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Luka - Alum will be fine no need to rebuild in steel? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

That shipping is very expensive.

Shipping prices have gone crazy at times during the COVID pandemic. I would not assume that it is the sellers fault necessarily.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes shipping prices are trough the roof now days.
    I will try to get some quotes from local people running CNC machines or make my own mounts from fine milled 25mm palate and assemble them together.

What joining technique should i use for joining base with column and column with bridge ?
    Bolts and steel plates?
    Epoxy glue ? - if that what kind of glue ?

Have option to align only on one side is enough
    I'm thinking maybe Bolts on bottom side and glue together on top, but still what kind of epoxy glue should do the job.

Ram-type milling machine-12-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Luka - Bolted connections are used for joints that you want to be able to dismantle in the future. Epoxy can be used to "set" the connection so it is more stable. The real question is what epoxies can you get? Then we can help you select them. If you want a permanent connection then a thick epoxy paste is the go. You can use laminating epoxy and add a filler or buy a thickened epoxy to start. Regards Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Column mounting:

Bolts to hold down
    Set screws to Jack up / align
    Heavily wax one surface (will allow joint to be taken apart in future)
    Inject suitable epoxy to completely fill the joint
    Drill and team for dowel pins for alignment in future if you need to take apart

Or hand scrape both mounting surfaces for alignment - may be a hard job if you don't have any experience and the right lifting / handling gear to move the column/bridge very easily

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd separate it at the base instead so you end up with an L piece. 90degree alignment I'd do between the bridge and the columns. For such a large piece I doubt the two columns are gonna be even remotely symmetric. I'd not want to deal with that variable when aligning.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Luka - Bolted connections are used for joints that you want to be able to dismantle in the future. Epoxy can be used to "set" the connection so it is more stable. The real question is what epoxies can you get? Then we can help you select them. If you want a permanent connection then a thick epoxy paste is the go. You can use laminating epoxy and add a filler or buy a thickened epoxy to start. Regards Peter
    Yes that is why I want to make one connection top or bottom permeant and one with option to disassemble in future if needed.
    But I have not really decided where to make it permanent and where with option to align and disassemble.

What epoxy I can get ? ... everything that is available in Europe :P
    I'm looking at this, but I heard that is pricey
    https://www.diamant-polymer.de/en/products/dwh/

They have multiple options

Ram-type milling machine-moglice-jpg

Last edited by lukahr; 04-19-2021 at 03:33 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Column mounting:

Bolts to hold down
    Set screws to Jack up / align
    Heavily wax one surface (will allow joint to be taken apart in future)
    Inject suitable epoxy to completely fill the joint
    Drill and team for dowel pins for alignment in future if you need to take apart

Or hand scrape both mounting surfaces for alignment - may be a hard job if you don't have any experience and the right lifting / handling gear to move the column/bridge very easily
    That is exactly procedure that I'm thinking about but I don't know if I want to do that on top of the side column or bottom. But I guess it will be easier to make that on top and only align precisely top bridge part and make side columns one with base.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast