Ram-type milling machine - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ram-type milling machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ram-type milling machine

Hi Luka - That is the global machine static CG. Have a look at the moving parts CG and multiply the weight by your expected accelerations. If you run a fast job with the machine well out the front it could be different. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Post Re: Ram-type milling machine

I have extended table support 150mm more upfront and moved legs forward. Now it should be more stable in y direction.
    I have also removed some material from table support legs on bottom to reduce overall weight because its over 4000kg now . I will need to shave off some weight this is getting a little too much

Ram-type milling machine-egv10-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

little redesign on table support legs, took some material from top back side, added some material back on bottom.
    CG gets lower, chips evacuation will be easier and it looks better to me like this

Ram-type milling machine-egv11-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Morning Lukahr - hard at it I see. Very good. Front view please. I think your base needs to be wider. Same reasons. When the top of the machine moves sideways or stops suddenly sideways you will need max support. This will not be any heavier maybe lighter...Peter

edit - on this sort of machine often the table is independent of the base. This is so different tables can be placed in front of it.eg trunnions, large rotaries, pallet systems etc. May help in your weight management, cartage logistics and casting complexity. Plus future machine, flexible possibilities...

Downloads
    Uploads

Evening Peteeng Guess we are on different side of globe

I think your base needs to be wider. Same reasons. When the top of the machine moves sideways or stops suddenly sideways you will need max support
    Yes exactly what I'm thinking too. Whole column segment will be 600-700kg and with a 2.6kw servomotor this thing will probably be able to move quite fast.
    But for now I'm still thinking how to do it without adding more weight to the base frame.

Right now it is like this (left photo) ,my plan is to make it something like this(right photo)

Ram-type milling machine-egv12-jpg

For now the top side is 1800mm width and bottom side is 1000mm width, so on each side is 400mm overhang. If I can reduce that by 150mm on each side I think it will be good.

It would be possible to make a separate segment with the table but then I lose stability of the longer one piece machine. Also if this is one casting there is no chance table would move or misalign somehow.

Worktable will be quite big so I can fit simultaneously multiple items on the table without need to remove them in-between jobs.
    The Plan is to have 2 6inch vises on the other side 600x600mm vacuum table and on back side 4 rotary axis or trunnion.

This is the top view. Right now machine is 2500mm long with column extended all the way back and this is also maximum length that I can afford

Ram-type milling machine-egv13-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

little update.
    Now it look like this

Ram-type milling machine-egv14-jpgRam-type milling machine-egv15-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Luka - I think you need to simplify the stand geometry. Combine some flats and make the table stand sides the same geometry as the machine sides. Its easy to create voids to lighten the middle. I presume its a one off machine so you are going to make plywood or melamine moulds. These need to be simple and as big as possible. Geometry is your friend.... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

By stand geometry you mean legs from work table ?
    Yes this is one off machine, and mold will be from melamine covered particleboard or plywood.
    I already have cnc machine so I can cut parts for mold easily. But yes, I could probably make mold much simpler, will look into it.

For now I'm tying to create rough image of machine that I will build, because I need volumetric measurement so I can order enough of nanodur concrete. Right now I'm somewhere in 1.5m3 of material for all casted parts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Luka - The bit that has the legs is called the "stand" or the machine base. It can be simplified, which will make your mould and life easier. I think the two front legs need to be connected as well. Keep at it. These things can be chasing Holy Grails but polishing the design is always worthwhile... the more work you do in CAD the less work you do in reality. Are you going to use E45 or E80 Nanodur material?? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Front legs will be connected by table which will be glued directly on legs. Each leg is 150mm thick and only 500mm high so I guess they wont move.
    I will probably go for E45 (like recipe bellow), with E80 DURIGID get really expensive compared to my local sources of basalt or granite crushed stone.

Ram-type milling machine-recipe-e45-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

But E80 can use half as much? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    But E80 can use half as much? Peter
    How do you mean you need half as much ? Volumetric is the same, same amount of nanodur needed only different aggregates used in mix.

Or do you mean because of higher Young’s modulus you can make construction thinner and then use smaller amount of material.
    E80 mix is 80[MPa] and E45 mix is 50[MPa].

For now i didn't found any economic option of DURIGID needed for E80 mix. Yes it is not much for 50kg but when you get to 1000kg things add up.
    DURIGID that i have found is 18€ per 25kg
    For 100€ i get 1000kg of crushed granite agregate

Ram-type milling machine-nanodur-recipe-png

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Luka - Yes as the E80 is stiffer you should be able to use less so less $$ maybe... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

DMG ram type machine.

Looks like Z axis fits between Y axis rails, reducing overhang

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Pippin you do like Moris... Good find. Peter I do like the comment about the chinese being "under severe quality control"

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ram-type milling machine-cmx-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Peter, I wouldn't say no if someone gave me a DMG. Partly I use them as ideas and examples because they do good videos and actually show their machine frames somewhat. Most manufacturers don't.

I laughed a lot at the "severe" also

Downloads
    Uploads

I have watched this video couple of days ago, it looks interesting. But this machine has moving table, with design like mine -fixed table this is not possible.

For couple of days I have been off CAD modeling because I have been arranging shipment of parts from Taiwan and China.
    I'm trying to get all my parts ordered from there on ship before Chinese new year.
    For now all parts are packaged and ready to shipp

Ram-type milling machine-photo-2021-02-02-07-33-41-a

In boxes are
    Ballscrews + ballnuts
    Ballscrew bearing supports
    5- axis controller + MPG
    Servomotors for XYZ
    Servomotor for rotation A-axis
    ATC servomotor
    Spindle servomotor
    And couple of small random things like couplers and cables ....

Downloads
    Uploads

Right now I'm working on my tool changer and I'm quite struggling where to put it.
    For now I have idea to make it like this - this is just a concept

Ram-type milling machine-egv16-jpg

Similar like this cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

I will have to move whole toll changer carousel on x axis from left to right when changing tools.
    I need to figure out how to move tool changer so I can use whole work table without z axis crashing in ATC.
    I don't like that idea at all but I don't see other option, I could make work table smaller and lose workspace but I don't want to do that.

Ram-type milling machine-egv17-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

A lot of machines use a pickup arm rather than have the spindle come right to the tool changer.

Most have a position to grab the tool from the spindle then rotate 180 degrees and put the new tool in the spindle

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast