New Machine Build Epoxy granite milling machine and Polish engineering.

Thread: Epoxy granite milling machine and Polish engineering.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Epoxy granite milling machine and Polish engineering.

Much to my girlfriend's dismay I have been laying awake at night scheming up a new machine to increase the chooch factor of my garage. Something sturdy in the stance and spinny bits. I am tired of coaxing my finicky CNC router through aluminum and such only for it to let me down as soon as my pants are firmly laying around both ankles.
    All things considered, I think it's high time for a CNC milling machine. I plan to build it from the funds I collect building my friends rosin presses so I plan to keep her cheap.
    So far I have some linear rails and ballscrews. The balls screws are 32mm ground beefcakes and the rails are Chinese HGR25's. I want to order up some motors, but not sure if I want to go with good ole stepper motors that I know and love, or step up to servos. 750w ac servo motors from China are only another $150 but I am uncertain of how I would go about timing them and if they would be enough to get the job done. If not I'll snag some nema 34 closed loop steppers.
    I could certainly use some input here. I know servo performance is superior, but if I came make them go weekday good is it?
    I'm currently leaning toward steppers to get this pretty started, and upgrading to something like clearpath servos which are more user friendly and have support later. I could always use the steppers to upgrade my router which is running Nema 23 open loop 425 oz steppers currently.
    Thoughts?
    Also here is a picture of my current CNC treasure.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epoxy granite milling machine and Polish engineering.-img_20200116_224318-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Epoxy granite milling machine and Polish engineering.

Well KK - It doesn't cost anything to design it first (except your time) so I suggest you get busy on CAD. And share the journey here. I'm interested in designing an epoxy granite mill too so we can share the thought bubbles. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Well KK - It doesn't cost anything to design it first (except your time) so I suggest you get busy on CAD. And share the journey here. I'm interested in designing an epoxy granite mill too so we can share the thought bubbles. Peter
    Peter, what size machine are you planning on building? I'm shooting for 23" x 17" x/y and a z axis 20-23".

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Epoxy granite milling machine and Polish engineering.

Hi KK - Yours is 23" = 584mm 17"=431mm and Z = 23" = 584mm Currently mine is a benchtop machine, X=500mm Y=250mm and Z=400mm See attached. The material is epoxy alumina sand or epoxy metal fibre or carbon fibre. Its a moving column design to maximise space and to get around making a complex saddle. I intend to make a timber prototype, then make moulds from the proto parts then cast the composite parts from those. I can make the timber parts (probably MDF or plywood) on my 1/2 sheet router...The mill has a BT30 collet...Peter

image showing cutting a bowl but it could be a machine part plug

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epoxy granite milling machine and Polish engineering.-bowl-jpg   Epoxy granite milling machine and Polish engineering.-mill-no6-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 01-18-2020 at 02:07 AM.