Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC

Quote Originally Posted by mcardoso View Post
    Enclosure looks great! Nice work, very professional.
    Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

A few days ago, I found that my servos were sending an error signal whenever the spindle would start up. With a bit of help from a digital oscilloscope I traced the problem down to noise on the step signal to the servo. In my system I am using ClearPath servos that have the controller built into the motor, so the Step/Dir signals are sent directly to the motor.

The servo was seeing a very short spike on the line and was triggering this as an error. Since I had programmed Mach 4 to halt motion if it saw an error from a servo, this was shutting the whole system down.

What I found:

Since I was using the original Brushless DC motor from the lathe, I had installed a controller for it. The logical place to put the controller in the electronics enclosure was on the inside of the door. This worked out well with plenty of clearance all around.
    Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC-2019-06-27-12-10-11-jpg

What I found was that when I built the box I had installed a small wire from the box to the door to ground the door. Well, that wire wasn't cutting it. The stud I attached to was covered in paint so there was little if any actual connection. So I installed the wire strap you see in the picture below and made sure it was properly connected. Problem solved.

Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC-2019-06-27-12-09-57-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC-2019-06-27-12-10-11-jpg   Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC-2019-06-27-12-09-57-jpg   Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC-2019-06-27-12-09-57-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I have made my last changes for a while. I added a Z and X MPG for jogging.
    Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC-2019-06-28-15-36-57-jpg

Also organized the cabling in back.
    Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC-2019-06-27-12-16-15-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC-2019-06-27-12-16-15-jpg   Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC-2019-06-27-12-16-15-jpg   Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC-2019-06-28-15-36-57-jpg   Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC-2019-06-28-15-36-57-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

First Cut. I wasn't prepared for that long stringy chip. I didn't get those with the manual lathe. I need a chipbreaker insert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice conversion, but one question: why do you still use the compound slide? There's really no need for it with CNC and using just a solid spacer would make the QCTP more rigid.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Stigoe View Post
    Very nice conversion, but one question: why do you still use the compound slide? There's really no need for it with CNC and using just a solid spacer would make the QCTP more rigid.
    I just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. My mill is a G0704 and I am not sure that it could handle whittling down a chunk of steel that big. This is what I have in mind.

Do you think that using Aluminum would be acceptable?

Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC-compund-block-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lathe Conversion, PM1228 to CNC-compund-block-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

why do you still use the compound slide?
    It helps you zeroing tools ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! I need it

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    I just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. My mill is a G0704 and I am not sure that it could handle whittling down a chunk of steel that big. This is what I have in mind.

Do you think that using Aluminum would be acceptable?
    I'm converting my WM290 (one step down from yours) and I have basically the same mill as you, and I managed to make a steel spacer, more or less. I didn't make it very elaborate, just a rectangular block, so your mill should be able to make something as well. Aluminium might work, but I would suggest to use steel.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    It helps you zeroing tools ...
    Not really, because if you move the compound slide to zero one tool, you will throw off the offsets of all the other tools. I guess you can move it to find the difference between the various tools and input the differences manually, but then you would need to make sure you reset the compound and lock it so it doesn't move inadvertently.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Stigoe View Post
    I'm converting my WM290 (one step down from yours) and I have basically the same mill as you, and I managed to make a steel spacer, more or less. I didn't make it very elaborate, just a rectangular block, so your mill should be able to make something as well. Aluminium might work, but I would suggest to use steel.
    Why not use a chunk of cast iron? It is relatively easy to machine (although dirty) and would be better for rigidity and vibration damping than either Steel or Aluminum. You can buy cast stock from most metal suppliers as well as McMaster Carr.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcardoso View Post
    Why not use a chunk of cast iron? It is relatively easy to machine (although dirty) and would be better for rigidity and vibration damping than either Steel or Aluminum. You can buy cast stock from most metal suppliers as well as McMaster Carr.
    Sure, cast iron would work. I can't buy anything from McMaster-Carr though, since I don't live in USA. I got the piece of steel I used from the school I got to machine my mill column for linear bearings. Where I live it's not so easy to get hold of stock material. At least, I don't know of any easy ways...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast