Making BT30 end mill tool holders at home. How bad is this idea?

Thread: Making BT30 end mill tool holders at home. How bad is this idea?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Making BT30 end mill tool holders at home. How bad is this idea?

I'm thinking to make some tool holders for my BT30 spindle with my CNC lathe. Accuracy is not a problem. I and the lathe can handle this. However I'm not able to grind the taper for a nice finish because I don't have a grinding attachment on the lathe. Is this a problem? Though, finishing results of my lathe is not bad at all.

So, is grinding on a tool holder cone a must?

Similar Threads:
    Suat
    Proud father, C# developer, Model heli pilot, newbie free time machinist for hobby

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Making BT30 end mill tool holders at home. How bad is this idea?

I wouldn’t bother. You can buy them for $20-30 of aliexpress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.cncmachineplans.com

Downloads
    Uploads

By "some" I actually meant "lots of". I need about 20 tool holders because I have only 1 right now. So 20 tool holders + shipping will cost a bunch of money. Would you still buy or make?

Suat
    Proud father, C# developer, Model heli pilot, newbie free time machinist for hobby

Downloads
    Uploads

I would spend more time making money than trying to make consistent tool holders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.cncmachineplans.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I see your point but I'm a hobbyist. I don't make money with my machines.

Suat

Downloads
    Uploads

Your cnc lathe can do it precisely, why not give a try. If you purchase a lot of BT30, the problem is shipping cost maybe too expensive. I maybe do it too in my spare time if I have done retrofitting my cnc lathe.

Downloads
    Uploads

What RPM would you be running them at ?

any speeds above 8000 need to be accurately balanced. plus you need to maintain a very high accuracy between taper and the bore that holds the cutters. I would guess that turned holders would be a little sloppy and used to a max RPM of say

your cutters would also fail quickly as they would not run quite true & will cut oversize.

I wouldn't purchase 20 holders... get 5 see how they perform.
    say
    1 face mill holder
    1 drill chuck
    3 er16 collet + collets ( holds up to 10mm cutters)
    you could manufacture the sidelock holders as required

Downloads
    Uploads

Call me crazy, but I was going to attempt a shrink fit solid " bushing" to fit in my PC router in place of a collet. I figured I can machine it all in one setup on the lathe and ream the Id to accurate size for shrink fit. If it works, I would not have to measure tool height every time i change it. You could always get a used toolpost grinder. I found a Dumore grinder for 200 buck on ebay that needed a little TLC, now i can grind pretty decent. Could probably machine, heat treat, grind on the cheap if thats something you think you'd enjoy doing.

Aluminum frame CNC router, JET GHB-1340 Lathe conversion, Bridgeport BOSS Retrofit, I'm gonna be busy for a while.