New Machine Build Concrete VMC - Page 16

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Concrete VMC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Concrete VMC

Stef, you are an inspiration to us. Thanks.

What software did you use to design this project, and would you be willing to share your design?

Downloads
    Uploads

Fascinating! Didn't know it could be done in concrete due to the material's natural frequencies/modes (fn). Was any vibration and damping control implemented during the built process/mix?

Looks good!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mecanix View Post
    Fascinating! Didn't know it could be done in concrete due to the material's natural frequencies/modes (fn). Was any vibration and damping control implemented during the built process/mix?

Looks good!
    It is Epoxy granite. SILIMIX 282 I think. See post 62.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    It is Epoxy granite. SILIMIX 282 I think. See post 62.
    Ah. Thanks for the heads up, missed that part.

Epoxy, quartz, granite etc.. still aggregate :/ OP seems to have put-in a great deal of work and detail in this creation, would be devastating to have it fracture at the 66th part because he hit that dreadful 20~25khz for a minute too long.
    My advice would be to look for some sort of 'damping add-ons' if not mixed-in already (rubber based particles should have been added). A senior CAE could model his kit and sort this lil'problem, or at least work out his limitations (if OP has the mat properties of what he used for the built, obviously). my 2c.

Pretty damn kool machine!!! 1st time I see this. Thanks for sharing

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah. Thanks for the heads up, missed that part.

Epoxy, quartz, granite etc.. still aggregate :/ OP seems to have put-in a great deal of work and detail in this creation, would be devastating to have it fracture at the 66th part because he hit that dreadful 20~25khz for a minute too long.
    My advice would be to look for some sort of 'damping add-ons' if not mixed-in already (rubber based particles should have been added). A senior CAE could model his kit and sort this lil'problem, or at least work out his limitations (if OP has the mat properties of what he used for the built, obviously). my 2c.

Pretty damn kool machine!!! 1st time I see this. Thanks for sharing
    Epoxy it self is great for viration dampening, that's why some of the most accurate VMCs in the world are made this way! great vibration dampening plus very nice thermal stability make these a very nice choice for casting...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vakeiros View Post
    Epoxy it self is great for viration dampening, that's why some of the most accurate VMCs in the world are made this way! great vibration dampening plus very nice thermal stability make these a very nice choice for casting...
    You are possibly right! Like I said, 'fascinating' project, landed on this page only yesterday and this is all new to me. I might actually take the required hour (or so) and read the whole thread! Not that I intent building something similar, I just find it absolutely fascinating and really hope this machine to work-out as planned for OP. I do however prefer old-school iron casting which you can bend, twist, level and adjust ;-)

Since you mention, any idea of who manufacture those precision machine-tools made out of aggregate? I ran a quick search and had a hard time finding who :/ Could it be that those are one-off (custom made) for a specific application?

Downloads
    Uploads

You are possibly right! Like I said, 'fascinating' project, landed on this page only yesterday and this is all new to me. I might actually take the required hour (or so) and read the whole thread! Not that I intent building something similar, I just find it absolutely fascinating and really hope this machine to work-out as planned for OP. I do however prefer old-school iron casting which you can bend, twist, level and adjust ;-)

Since you mention, any idea of who manufacture those precision machine-tools made out of aggregate? I ran a quick search and had a hard time finding who :/ Could it be that those are one-off (custom made) for a specific application?
    I think Kern and Struder uses some type of synthetic granite in their machines.

Downloads
    Uploads

Kern and others use "synthetic" granite.

Downloads
    Uploads

I see. Yea, synthetic (top secret mix I presume), that would makes sense. Thanks for passing the info guys.
    Interesting stuff...

Downloads
    Uploads

I see. Yea, synthetic (top secret mix I presume), that would makes sense. Thanks for passing the info guys.
    Interesting stuff...
    So epoxy-granite, like everyone else...

Concrete VMC-granitan-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Machine envy... I has it.

I might have missed it earlier in the thread, but... it looks like the spindle is setup for an automatic tool changer?

Downloads
    Uploads

KERN, DMG and some other, these 2 are on top of my head. when you see something like "mineral casting" or "synthetic granite" is always epoxy+aggregate now for the receipt weel that's the secret sauce XD anyway it's based on this...

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718 LastLast