Build Thread BT30 Spindle - Page 26

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1623242526272829 LastLast

Thread: BT30 Spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: BT30 Spindle

Yes...…..a regular 3 phase 1 HP motor running at 3,000rpm speed controlled with a VFD would give you 6,000 rpm with a 1:1 pulley arrangement and speed down to 100rpm still with a lot of torque......a 3 phase motor with an iron body does weigh a bit though.

I may be wrong on this assumption but a 3 phase induction motor has a solid armature, no windings in it, so it " could" rotate at 6000 rpm top speed with a VFD which means you could drive the spindle with a pulley reduction of 1:1 to give you 6,000 top wack and down to 100rpm..

I have a 1hp brushless motor and a 2 pulley set., …...that is. 2 pulleys that can be changed over on the motor and a fixed pulley on the spindle...…..changing the motor pulley gets you a 1:1 or a 2:1 drive for whatever torque you need.....top speed of 7,000rpm etc.

Changing pulleys is quite easy on my mill as the motor is inside the head casting with the pulleys at the top.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Whoever designed my CNC machine built an extremely robust machine with excellent accuracy and resolution.
    Unfortunately, the machine was not designed for maintenance! I don't think they knew the word.
    Getting to some parts is extremely difficult. By way of example, the spindle motor is upside down and the drive belt is very hard to reach to adjust. The whole Z axis mech is enclosed and a bit hard to work on.

Ah well, it is not designed to wear out, so I take what I have. I have trammed the head well enough.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I think you have to count your blessings as opposed to wishing for perfection.....LOL.

My old Colchester Bantam lathe is 1930 vintage and I had to do a heap of work to get it to some form of reliability, but I've got attached to it so I'll take it to the big workshop in the sky when I go.

Just the BT30 spindle conversion alone for the BF20 will no doubt make this mill a complete revision of a manual mill in the CNC direction apart from the further conversion of ball screws and linear rails......the spindle after all is the very heart of a mill.

Knowing that Azalin is a go getter he might go the whole hog and do all the bits and pieces...….this is going to be a long thread...…..hopefully.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm appreciated. Thanks Ian.

Here's the first part. The base. It's a 50mm thick 6061 alu. You can see a small crash mark on the bolt hole but it won't affect the side plate fixing. Part is perfectly square and parallel.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

Suat
    Proud father, C# developer, Model heli pilot, newbie free time machinist for hobby

Downloads
    Uploads

Bottom part is almost ready.

6061 40mm plate.

Suat
    Proud father, C# developer, Model heli pilot, newbie free time machinist for hobby

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm

Suat

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Suat

Looks nice. TIR on a 6 mm carbide shaft?

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

I am very upset right now. I broke a M6 tap on the second part and there is no way to get the broken part out.

Suat

Downloads
    Uploads

There is always a way.
    Could you clamp it very securely and drill the steel M6 tap out with a good carbide drill? You might need to use a carbide 90 degree countersink to secure the start. Note that a 5 mm drill fits neatly in an M6 thread.
    Could you use a diamond-coated drill if the carbide does not work? Note that you should use lots of water with a diamond drill bit. (eBay!)
    You could try to EDM the tap out with a 4 mm carbon rod.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

The thread depth is 20mm. The broken part is about 10mm long and it is right in the middle of the hole. No way to turn it.

I actually have a 4mm end mill that I can try. EDIT: it's diamond.

The threads will be damaged anyway but I can put a helicoil.

Suat

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow. The diamont end mill did nothing to the broken hss tap.

Well, I guess I lost that hole but that's not too bad because it's only 1 of the 8. Now I have 7 bolts.

Maybe I'll get it EDM'd as you have suggested.

Suat

Downloads
    Uploads

You can get out broken taps with carbide. I do it all the time. I find ballnose bits hold up best. Run it around 2500 rpm and hand feed. No coolant. Back out of the hole regularly and blow out the hole. Don't worry if the cutting point turns red it will burn thru quicker. Make sure the end mill is bigger then the center web of the tap. Once your thru chip out the pieces with a pic. Make sure to get all the pieces before trying to retap.

Ben

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I doubt a square end mill would work. The forces on the cutting edge would be too high.
    But a carbide drill(118 degrees) or maybe a ball-end mill as Ben suggests should work. NOT one of the cheap 45HRC versions, but an expensive 65HRC one.
    Tricky, but possible.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll try and let you know. Thanks Ben and Roger.

Suat

Downloads
    Uploads

Suat - when you said a diamond end mill did nothing, just what were you talking about? If you meant a diamond-cut end mill, I am not surprised. Those things are meant for the PCB and woodworking industries. The carbide is not very good. Yeah, I tried ...

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, back in the 70's I worked for a firm and they had a portable EDM machine that you bolted to a part to burn out broken taps etc......broken taps were a thing we came across all the time.

I've heard of, but not used, a method using an arc welder where you turn the amps right down as low as you can go and use a carbon electrode to burn the tap out...…..it's best done on a drill press where you can guide the electrode centrally without hitting the sides and use a series of fast pecking passes to arc the tap away......use air to blow the dust out......poor man's EDM.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a friend who owns an EDM. He'll help me on this.

I really hate hand tapping.

Suat

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
    I have a friend who owns an EDM. He'll help me on this.

I really hate hand tapping.

Will your new spindle be able to rigid tap? It’s awesome for tapping. Give you the ability to use roll taps too.

Downloads
    Uploads

I decided to use a 1.8kw AC servo for the spindle. So yes, it'll be able to rigid tapping.

Suat

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah very nice that should also allow you to have a fully positioned c axis for special operations and tool change position.

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1623242526272829 LastLast