ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit

Yup I will be interlocking the relays as well. Going to run that side a bit manually for starters, also the spindle controller, many options.

I know all about builds coming to a stop, been living that dream for a while.

I just hope i get it a bit further this time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Managed to score a good size enclosure for the electronics, its not new but in OK condition, also it was the right (free) price.

Size is 1200mm high, 800mm wide and about 300mm deep, should be plenty for the job.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit-20200128_180732-jpg   ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit-20200129_192404-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice score Russell. Sorry took so long to get back to you. Couldn't find my manual for a week. ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome thanks for that, lucky we didn't put a 45/45 in there !

I am hoping to put some time into a spindle drive prototype tomorrow, should be interesting.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry I have been crook and have not been on the computer for agers I would have a wiring diagram out in the zentford manuals if you still need it .

Downloads
    Uploads

So been a while...anyway today I thought I'd start on something simple, and look at the limit switches, there seems to be three per axis, so I am assuming one homing and one for each end of travel. Unfortunately the Z axis limits have been removed before I got the machine so I thought I'd simply undo one that had a squashed cable, find the part number and see if I can buy some more. Turns out they had nuts on the bolts fixing them, and the nuts weren't accessible without the whole X/Y limit switch pack removed. This also had the lube system for the X/Y passing through it so that had to be removed as well. Long story short the whole lot is out and I managed to get a part number off limit switch #2 which happens to be the one with the squashed cable. It had #3 piggybacked on top and this protected the ID label on the switch. As you can see the labels are a bit difficult to read on the exposed switches.

Good news is I metered all 6 switches and they all work, I think I'll use them all, they seem to be good quality and I can repair a squished cable easily.

Photos or it didn't happen...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit-img20220418162757-jpg   ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit-img20220418162805-jpg   ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit-img20220418162823-jpg   ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit-img20220418163238-jpg  

ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit-img20220418164446-jpg   ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit-img20220418164458-jpg   ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit-img20220418165814-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Turns out those limit switches cost about $200-$300 bucks each, plus postage!! Three of those will hurt the budget (of about $20 bucks!)
    I might have to modify the Z switches for something a bit more off the shelf, and cheaper.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    Turns out those limit switches cost about $200-$300 bucks each, plus postage!! Three of those will hurt the budget (of about $20 bucks!)
    I might have to modify the Z switches for something a bit more off the shelf, and cheaper.
    Those roller switches, must be some Din Standard. I've bought them in the $40 - $50 range from some one like NHP, or maybe NAW controls in Thomastown.
    Regards Phil.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I'm not too worried, I still have 6 so I can use two per axis, and combine limit/homing.
    Cheers.
    Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a hard traditionalist. Cant see you using one switch as a reference & hard over travel. Over travel switches should be normally closed, and linked into the E.Stop circuit, to kill the machine, once its that close to the end of travel. That wont work

Regards Phil.

Downloads
    Uploads

The switches are in the middle of travel and there are ramps at each end so I can use one switch for limits/homing and the other for over travel/estop.

Downloads
    Uploads

Only problem with that is the need to come off the over travel in the correct direction? I see what you are saying, For the sake of a $40 switch, you'll conjour something else up.
    Best luck on your endeavourers.

Downloads
    Uploads

So on further inspections during cleaning I found several small stainless balls in the spindle housing, about where they would be if it was traveled past the ballscrew travel and dropped out, may explain why my mate got a good deal on the mill in the first place.

Initially I was like oh well off to the scrap metal man it goes, but according to my friend Chich2 and the my friend whom I acquired the mill from, the balls an be purchased and replaced without a great deal of fuss, apart from removing the ballscrew from the machine.
    So today I took the balls I found (about 8 of) and my mate measured them with a micrometer, and they are 3.175mm, or 1/8" in oldspeak.

Tomorrow I will talk to a local bearing supplier about getting replacements.

Any hoo, I have wound the Z up until the counterweight is resting on its holding pins, next is to jack up the spindle, to relieve its weight, pack underneath to stop it dropping then remove the ballscrew.

I'll wait for the weekend to remove it, don't like rushing something like that, in the meantime I will build a PC and install Linuxcnc, then get it connected to a 7i80 mesa card, and start looking at configuring it. Plan is to use existing servo's, remove resolvers, add CUI capacitive quadrature encoders connected directly to the mesa card, brushed DC servos work very nicely with closed loop to the controller. I will need a custom power stage to run the servos, I've already started modifying my own proven servo drive design to become a simple power stage. Once I workout pinouts from the mesa card I'll probably design and order two set of PCB's, one power stage per axis and one interface for IO and servo/spindle control, all pluggable into the mesa card.

I have another mate that is making stubs to go onto the servo shafts to simplify encoder mounting, I'll put pics up once its done.

Will test on small servos initially, then migrate it to the control enclosure once sorted.

Cheers.
    Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Russel,

Following with interest, I have stumbled on your thread while looking for info on Zenford Zeigler Milling machines, I have just acquired one that I plan to retrofit very soon, Still in the planning stage, trying to figure out what is what, (No manuals or Schematics), what parts I can reuse & what I need to get. I am sure Ill have a heap of questions for you in the future. Keep the updates coming.

Brad

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit-capture-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Brad, your machine looks to be a lot more intact than mine, would be interesting to see how much of it still works.

Cheers.
    Russell.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234