New Machine Build Large Epoxy Granite Vertical CNC Mill - Page 23

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223

Thread: Large Epoxy Granite Vertical CNC Mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Large Epoxy Granite Vertical CNC Mill

Quote Originally Posted by phucrobusl View Post
    This is true. However it might make sense to use Polyester instead of Epoxy to make granite.
    From what I've read all polyester resins shrink on curing, whereas some epoxy resins do not. If you're going for anything precise without post cure machining, shrinkage es no bueno.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    From what I've read all polyester resins shrink on curing, whereas some epoxy resins do not. If you're going for anything precise without post cure machining, shrinkage es no bueno.
    Indeed, polyester shrinks.
    So does epoxy, but by very tiny amounts.
    A friend of mine built a EG gantry with steel on one side to later connect the rails to.

Even with setting up the cast on a surface plate, the steel was 0.1 to 0.2 mm convex over 600 mm after curing.
    That suggests a very small shrinkage indeed, but it required reworking the steel.

Sven http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/320812-aluminium-1250x1250x250-router.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

He may have gotten the wrong type of epoxy. Some epoxies have more shrinkage than others. I think I remember reading somewhere on the huge epoxy granite thread on here that VOC's are the thing to look for. Any VOC's will evaporate and cause shrinkage.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This guy knew what he was doing and he had the right kind of epoxy.
    And lets be clear, to get this kind of curve the shrinkage is absolutely minute.

All this means is that there is some shrinkage, not a lot, and most may not notice it.

But if you need it to be zero for what you are going to do, test first and adjust your plans if needed.

Sven http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/320812-aluminium-1250x1250x250-router.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Is anyone of these guys making a DIY kit yet that you just need to supply your own epoxy/granite? It would be so much easier and cheaper to source the concrete locally.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223