Need Help! GRIZZLY 1642 LATHE TO CNC OR NOT?

Thread: GRIZZLY 1642 LATHE TO CNC OR NOT?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default GRIZZLY 1642 LATHE TO CNC OR NOT?

Hello

This is my first post. First off a little about myself.
    My name is John and I am from Southwest Louisiana. I mostly build custom firearms and parts.

I hope I posted this in the correct location. I am thinking of cnc this machine, it is a Grizzly 1642. Everything on the machine works great but the worm gear for the auto feed and Grizzly no longer makes parts for this machine. I have made a few worm gears but for some reason cannot get them to work correctly.

My question being is this machine worth converting to cnc? I will be planning to use anti-backlash ball screws on the y an z axis. 1600 oz. n34 stepper motors. Planning to buy all electronics from cnc4pc. Are these good electronics? Planning to run Mach3 software. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated for this will be my first time doing it. I will continue reading posts to familiarize myself with the conversion. I also added a picture of my machine.

Thanks in advance,

John

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GRIZZLY 1642 LATHE TO CNC OR NOT?-20140226_120802-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: GRIZZLY 1642 LATHE TO CNC OR NOT?

Quote Originally Posted by copewest View Post
    Hello

This is my first post. First off a little about myself.
    My name is John and I am from Southwest Louisiana. I mostly build custom firearms and parts.

I hope I posted this in the correct location. I am thinking of cnc this machine, it is a Grizzly 1642. Everything on the machine works great but the worm gear for the auto feed and Grizzly no longer makes parts for this machine. I have made a few worm gears but for some reason cannot get them to work correctly.

My question being is this machine worth converting to cnc? I will be planning to use anti-backlash ball screws on the y an z axis. 1600 oz. n34 stepper motors. Planning to buy all electronics from cnc4pc. Are these good electronics? Planning to run Mach3 software. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated for this will be my first time doing it. I will continue reading posts to familiarize myself with the conversion. I also added a picture of my machine.

Thanks in advance,

John

John,
    I have a lathe just like this one. I'm looking for a set of change gears for it.I contacted Grizzly but parts are no longer available. Any suggestions??

Thanks
    Marty