Light Machine 1000 retrofit

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Machine 1000 retrofit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Light Machine 1000 retrofit

My project is a Light Machine TMC 1000 CNC tabletop mill that I bought locally. This mill came out of a technical school and looks like it only cut plastics or wax. I bought it for the steel. I am replacing the original drive motors with double-shafted stepper motors so I can add some handles. The wiring harness for the steppers, limit switches and 1hp DC motor with working variable speed control are in good shape. I bought a replacement E-stop button and new cog belts for the steppers and spindle motor.
    I just bought 3 Gecko 202 drives from their August sale to run the stepper motors.
    My next step is to put together the power supply and parallel port breakout board from Campbell designs. I have been going though old posts here and found a lot of good information. Bob Campbell also has a PDF that has helped me with transformer and capacitor sizes.
    I have an old Hughes aircraft aluminum server box that I am going to use for the control panel. The next step is to layout all the parts, I found some pictures here on this forum that are giving me some ideas too.
    Here is a picture of the TMC 1000 that I am retrofitting. I will update the pictures as I go.
    Thanks for all information I found here.
    Frank

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light Machine 1000 retrofit-tmc1000-steel-sm-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks like a MAXNC 10CL. Whatever it is its a very nice mini mill. Not cheap when new I bet. Nice machine from the looks of it. The more info you share the better. Congratulations, welcome aboard, and keep us all posted on your progress, with lots of pics.

(The above opinions are the authors and do not represent those of CNCZone or its management.)

Halfnutz

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a link for Light Machines.
    http://www.lightmachines.com/product...000-page1.html
    Intelitek is the new company that I ordered the parts from.
    http://www.intelitek.com/products/pr...=1&pid=2&did=3
    Frank

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Norsksea
    My project is a Light Machine TMC 1000 CNC tabletop mill that I bought locally. This mill came out of a technical school and looks like it only cut plastics or wax. I bought it for the steel. I am replacing the original drive motors with double-shafted stepper motors so I can add some handles. The wiring harness for the steppers, limit switches and 1hp DC motor with working variable speed control are in good shape. I bought a replacement E-stop button and new cog belts for the steppers and spindle motor.
    I just bought 3 Gecko 202 drives from their August sale to run the stepper motors.
    My next step is to put together the power supply and parallel port breakout board from Campbell designs. I have been going though old posts here and found a lot of good information. Bob Campbell also has a PDF that has helped me with transformer and capacitor sizes.
    I have an old Hughes aircraft aluminum server box that I am going to use for the control panel. The next step is to layout all the parts, I found some pictures here on this forum that are giving me some ideas too.
    Here is a picture of the TMC 1000 that I am retrofitting. I will update the pictures as I go.
    Thanks for all information I found here.
    Frank
    It's a nice machine. I learned on one back in high school. I wish I had it today. I did mostly aluminum stuff on it..cut like a champ.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

One of the schools I work for has the MaxNC 10s (old ones) and they are not worth much. The other school is trying to get a light machine 1000. I have used it and it works fine, but its old software. I made the parts in AutoCAD as DXF. Then converted to g codes. Than milled them.

What are your plans for upgrading to newer XP based software or do you have any? I assume you would need new drivers and software (new controller?) to just use the CAD or Inventor files (STL~etc.).

Downloads
    Uploads

I am going to use Mach 3 with Win2000 through the parallel port. I have the Campbell design breakout board and Gecko 202's to run the steppers. I have Alebre design 3d software, Meshcam with Cutviewer and Sheetcam for 2d. I have yet to put together the power supply and control panel. I made the table to give me a better idea on how I am going to mount the control panel. The table is measures 26L x 36W x 38H. I made it out of 2-1/2 square tubing 1/8th inch wall. It is 38 inches tall so when I have the mill finished and working I will be able to stand comfortably. I found the metal tubing and a 1/16th thick stainless steel top with bend side at a metal scrap yard. The table legs have 2-1/4 round pipe welded into the legs with solid aluminum machined feet. With just the top on it is extremely rigid and solid when I try to shake it by hand. With the mill on it I don't think there will be any vibration problem. I also found a stainless steel electrical control box that I modified to use as the control panel. I think I am going to mount the control box under the table as the top drawer and add more drawers under it for tooling and storage.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm...this could work well for us. I am sorry to ask so many questions, but its been left to me to figure something out with a shoe string budget (or no real budget) and I don't know a lot about CNC yet.

My boss loves the prolight machine even though the software is so old (me too). To update through intellitek is very expensive (if you can get them to answer anything). We are going through that now with a scorbot thats malfunctioning.

The table is not a problem at all. My father works in a steel fabrication shop.

I just downloaded the Mach 3 (is that a trail version or real?) The gecko 202s are not that expensive. I have not found anything about the Campbell design breakout board yet, but I will keep looking.

We teach AutoCAD 2006 (2D & 3D) as well as Inventor here, so hopefully whatever CAM software we get will work with those file types. Ok....just did some light reading. The meshcam will work with the 3D (STL files) and the sheetcam will work with the 2D (DXF). Neither are terribly expensive.

They don't typically post prices in here, but would you mind giving me a ballpark guestimate of how much it might cost to get the machine set up and running? Since its possible, I will talk to him and see if he can go ahead and get the mill. It works well.

Thanks for you help so far,
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

I love this machine when I first saw it. It used R8 collets had a working 1hp DC motor with controller and so hi-tech looking compared to my Bridgeport.
    Intellitek said to upgrade the control panel was $2000 forand $1500 for a PCI card that would go into a desktop computer. I'm not even sure if a PCI slot is still used for XP pentium 4 anymore. I didn't even ask what their software would cost.
    I think with all hardware components was under $1000 which includes I did get 4 new cog belts and I a E-Stop button from Intellitek and Mach3 licence.
    On Bab Campells web site he has some tutorials on power supplies and search old posts here will give you all the information you will need to build a newer Mach3 control system to use.
    Mach 3 is the full version but limited to 1000 lines of code. (I think).
    Email me with your phone number if I can be of any help.
    Frank

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree. Its a very nice machine. The one he wants to get is working just fine (I have used it for demos several timesto take CAD files and machine parts). Its just really old software. He got those same approximate costs from intellitek, but they didn't seem to interested in helping further. (We are trying to get info on the robot right now)

As far as I know...everything works fine and I would not have to replace any of the main parts of the machine itself. I will look at the site tomorrow and see what I can read. This is all new to me. So around $1000 for what you have now (including the mach3). Did that include the meshcam and sheetcam too?

That leaves the controller and power supply still then? Thats a ton cheaper than the other way.

I can't thank you enough for your help. This is falling into place perfectly for what he wanted me to try to figure out.

Thanks,
    Brian

EDIT: PM sent to you

Downloads
    Uploads

TurboCNC is also a great control software. Not a pretty as MACH 3, but runs on any Pentium 1 under Microsofts last stable OS.

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

No Meshcam, Sheetcam and Alibre Design were not included because they are so software. I included Mach3 because it runs the Hardware.
    This is my first CNC project my TNC 1000 did not come with the original computer, software and control panel. I bought a 9-pin and 15-pin panel mounted connectors to use with existing wiring to motors, limit switches and E-stop.
    I did get Intelitek to give me the pin assignments for the 9-pin and 15-pin cable connectors.

The $1000 includes the following
    Power supply parts (transformer and capacitors etc…)
    Double-shafted stepper motors.
    (3) 202 Gecko drives
    Campbell designs parallel port breakout board.
    4 cog belts and E-stop button from Intelitek
    Mach 3 license
    Misc.parts (fan, heatsinks, connectors and wiring)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is going to sound dumb to those of you who understand all of this, but.....

The one we are looking at is a functioning machine. It has the controller and everything there functions. I remembered it being a dos based software, but it is a win 95 based (whatever it is). Would I need a new power supply, steppers, stepper controllers, and board?

In general....what I am trying to ask is: Can I use whats there and just upgrade the software/compter? We have some win 98 and 2000 machines around if XP won't work.

I downloaded the 60 day trial of meshcam and it looks almost exactly like some of the demo software a salesman is trying to sell us with his machine. I loved how it took my STL files and machined parts.

Again, sorry to be such a pest, but this is a wonderful place to learn.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can definitely use the steppers and power supply. Whether you can use the stepper drivers will depend how integrater they are with the old controller. If you are lucky, these drivers are driven with either step and directions signals , or phase signals. If this is the case you can connnect a PC running TurboCNC or Mach 3 (Does Art have Phase output)?

Regards,
    Mark

dcencer

I believe the ProLight 1000 came with servo motors, not steppers. Servo controller retrofits are more expensive, I believe. Changing the motors to steppers would be necessary to use the less expensive stepper controllers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine had stepper motors that I replaced with double shafted one to add a jog handle.
    Here are pictures of the motor mounted, Motor with handle, and Y and X stepper covers with jog handles.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light Machine 1000 retrofit-stepper-motor-jog-sm2-jpg   Light Machine 1000 retrofit-stepper-covers-jog-sm2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a delima I'm facing in respect to the TMC 1000. The school I work at had one, but we didnt really use it that much, so we sent it off to the warehouse, and I was going to "bid" on it....but as it turns out some how between the school and the warehouse the mill its self, and the control box got seperated. I was told that the control box might have ended up with the computers they get, and when they get computers that they figure are useless, they scrap them I really hope thats not the case. I'm still thinking about getting it anyway, I figured I could find a control box somewhere. Its a really nice machine and I would really hate to let it go to waste. I still have access to the software and the computer it was hooked up too, so it has the interface card, but I need the box the connects between the computer and the mill. I'm still going to see if it is at all possible to find out exactly what happened to the control box, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Anyway, my main question is does anyone have any idea where I could get a control box? The program on the computer runs on windows (windows95 I think). Thanks so much for any information.
    -Sam

Downloads
    Uploads

I drilled all the holes for the switches, indicator lights and AC cords and plasma cut for the fan and 9, 15 and 25pin connectors. I arranged the parts and mounted them to an aluminum plate and then mounted the plate to the standoffs in the bottom of the stainless steel control box. The control box is going to be mounted under the table with full extension ball bearing slides and pull out by the handles on both sides to access the door.
    The switches in the front of the panel are for spindle, power supplies, fans and coolant with matching indicators. One switch to run the spindle separately so I can use the mill manually as I did in modifying the heatsinks and other small parts. I am using a 35v toroidal transformer which will produce 49v for my steppers. A small 12v-power supply will run the small fan positioned inline with the fins of 3 heatsinks under the 202 Gecko drives on top. I got as far a wiring up the bride rectifier, 2 capacitors and fuse block to Gecko’s.
    The case fan is 110v and will exhaust the air drawn in from the two grated inlets on the door. The door has a louver behind it that will guide the incoming air to the front of the box over the small 12v fan and toroidal transformer. I had to order new 9 and 15 pin connectors for heavier wire. The pins will take 18 gauge wire that match the wiring harness in the TMC 1000. The new connectors have individual pins to solder on the wire then install in the blocks. The AC cords, switches and indicators are not yet wired. I have to wait until the connectors come in and then the time to continue.
    Frank

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light Machine 1000 retrofit-panel-closed-front-sm-jpg   Light Machine 1000 retrofit-panel-top-f-view-sm-jpg   Light Machine 1000 retrofit-panel-closed-rear-sm-jpg   Light Machine 1000 retrofit-panel-top-r-view-sm-jpg  

Last edited by Norsksea; 01-27-2006 at 01:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smadoc
    I have a delima I'm facing in respect to the TMC 1000. The school I work at had one, but we didnt really use it that much, so we sent it off to the warehouse, and I was going to "bid" on it....but as it turns out some how between the school and the warehouse the mill its self, and the control box got seperated. I was told that the control box might have ended up with the computers they get, and when they get computers that they figure are useless, they scrap them I really hope thats not the case. I'm still thinking about getting it anyway, I figured I could find a control box somewhere. Its a really nice machine and I would really hate to let it go to waste. I still have access to the software and the computer it was hooked up too, so it has the interface card, but I need the box the connects between the computer and the mill. I'm still going to see if it is at all possible to find out exactly what happened to the control box, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Anyway, my main question is does anyone have any idea where I could get a control box? The program on the computer runs on windows (windows95 I think). Thanks so much for any information.
    -Sam
    Hi Sam
    You must have posted when I was typing.
    That Mill is worth it even without the Control panel. Buy it an make your own contorl panel. Use the parts above to make one. I could have bought the original control panel but it was Dos and I didn't have the software or know how to use it. Since I am going ot have to learn to use software to run the mill I want to learn the new stuff.
    Frank

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That box you have there looks strangely like a denford box. We have 3 denford machines (pieces of crap that they are) at the school. The only one that works rather well is the router. The novamill is next in line, and the novaturn.....piece of crap (atleast as far as the "software" that comes with it. We had the novaturn out atleast 3 or 4 times for repair. It was out 3 times i think before i got there, and once after i was working at the school. One time a tech came out did some poking around, said there was a thermal overload somewhere. Took half of it (the lathe its self i think) got a "new" one sent back, the $300 sheild had a small crack in the side. then about 6months later with less than 3 or 4 hours total run time on it, a student had turned 3 of the 4 feet for a wooden box they were making, and on the 2nd half of the proccess it quit working, they called me i step in the room and smell the magic smoke.... A stepper mosfett chip blew, well all three of them actully. One had a hole in it, one had a crack, and the other one was discolored. Soo i looked online (not wanting to deal with their tech support again, specially considering that denford dropped the vendor we got the machines from) found a website that had the exact mosfett needed (st something or other) they cost about $7 a piece so i thought "this is alot better than paying for a $1200 replacment board from baldor. Replaced all the chips turned it on....the fuse still blew. Looked around found 3 more ic's one was cracked in the middle. replaced the one that was bad, and it was still blowing fuses. We needed it up and running so we finally just ordered a new controler board. It works...and the kids got their brass feet made for their wooden boxes in woodshop. I liked the insides of the denford boxes, but their software takings come getting use to. The software we had just couldnt do 3d, well it could but it only displayed in 2d, which made it hard to do 3d objects. I wish i would have had more time with the software part of it, but oh well. We actully bought mastercam for the tmc mill (and we had solid edge version 7 so that was kind of nice) but i never really got around to making anything, and the stuff i did make was messed up because i didnt know about setting backlash till after it was too late and i really didnt have time to mess with it. I think ill still try and see if i can get the mill. I figured i could get the control box or make one, and now that you said go ahead and get the mill and make the box, that makes me more willing to do so. Don't be surprized if I start coming to you for advice on how to get this done. This reply became alot longer than i was planning on so I think I'll end it for now.

Downloads
    Uploads

The control panel I have was an electrical panel box I found in one of the metal scrap yards. In this particular scrap yard I can find good round stock and stainless and aluminum tubing. When I saw this electrical box I liked it except for the 2 hole in the door but at 75 cents a pound I bought it. I plasma cut 2 inches out from the depth. I tig welded it together again, added the SS screening to the holes in the door and a louver to direct the airflow.
    This is my first CNC project and found a lot of my building information by searching this site.
    Thanks Frank

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast