Build Thread G0602 10x22 LATHE 3 STEP CNC CONVERSION - Page 11

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: G0602 10x22 LATHE 3 STEP CNC CONVERSION

Downloads
    Uploads

Default ALMOST BACK TO SQUARE ONE

OK. I have removed the Shield, (The SS had that thing REALLY glued on. I couldn't pull it off--had to cut behind it with razor blade.)

And Silicone seal:

Cleaned up all the rust:

And painted the surfaces with rusty metal primer:
    Photobucket

After final paint and new Silicone sealant, it will be back to square one. I have to go now and clean excess paint from ways.

CR.

Last edited by Crevice Reamer; 09-28-2010 at 11:01 PM.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry CR, did not know this thread even existed untill about a couple of weeks ago, been just living in the little benchtop world over there, but decided to take a chance and venture out into other areas of this forum, man was that a mistake now its even more difficult to get stuff done as I am spending more time on the computer rather than buttoning up my project, but soon I will start my G0602, havent got it yet but there is one in the grizzly show room with a little of my drool on it

JT

Downloads
    Uploads

NO worries JT. I was only kidding anyway. I am the only one responsibile for mistakes that I make.

Congrats on your choice of lathe! I doubt you'll regret it.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

CR,

Great progress on your CNC project.

I also just found this thread, and just placed my order for a G0602 on Saturday. Grizzly sent me an e-mail today saying that they were out of stock and expecting delivery around October 15, and my delivery would be 3-5 days after that.

The fact that you and Hossmachine both chose the G0602 was an important deciding factor for me in buying this lathe.

Looking forward to your further progress!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    CR,

Great progress on your CNC project.

I also just found this thread, and just placed my order for a G0602 on Saturday. Grizzly sent me an e-mail today saying that they were out of stock and expecting delivery around October 15, and my delivery would be 3-5 days after that.

The fact that you and Hossmachine both chose the G0602 was an important deciding factor for me in buying this lathe.

Looking forward to your further progress!

Thanks TB.

Congrats on buying the best-bang-for-buck lathe. Demand keeps increasing, so Grizzly can't keep them in stock. Everybody wants the best value.

CR.

Last edited by Crevice Reamer; 09-29-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default BACK TO SQUARE ONE

Finish painted:

Silicone sealed:

Shield installed again:

BTSO.

Downloads
    Uploads

CR,

Haven't seen you post for awhile on your CNC conversion. I hope everything is going OK for you.

As seems to be typical for Grizzly, they handily beat their estimated delivery time on my G0602 10x22 by quite a bit. Rather than having the lathe by Oct 18-20, FedEx actually delivered the lathe last Wednesday Oct. 6. Boy, but this lathe is larger than it looks in the pictures! Your uncrating and teardown pages on your website came in very handy. Like others, I had a hard time getting the chuck off. I ended up heating the chuck and spindle with a heat gun set on high for around 3 minutes or so, and the warm/hot chuck ended up melting the red goo and letting the chuck come loose.

I'm still cleaning the lathe of all the red goo days later, but I'm getting to the point where I need to refill the gear box. Are you using Mobil DTE Heavy Medium oil like the manual says or something else? How about the 10 weight machine oil? I'm having a hard time finding these oils locally.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi TB. Congratulations on your new lathe purchase. I have been busy lately, but hope to get back to the project soon.

DO NOT OIL THE SPINDLE BEARINGS! This will only wash out their grease and cause premature failure.

There are many posts about GB oil here:

10x22grizzlyandthelike : 10x22 lathe

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

CR,

Thanks for the reply.

And thanks for the heads-up on not oiling the spindle bearings. By the way, how hot should these bearings get? During my 10-15 minutes break-in at 1200 RPM, the spindle bearings (and the spindle without the chuck) got hot enough where I couldn't comfortable touch them for more than a couple of seconds. Is this something I should be concerned with?

I took a look over at the Yahoo group about gearbox oil, but it looks like the recommendations all over the map. What are you using for gearbox oil? And what are you using for the other 9 ball oilers? What are you using on the ways?

Thanks for any help, and I'm definitely looking forward to more posts on your CNC conversion.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is a big misconception on this forum about spindle bearings getting hot. At first brand new bearings will get hot, it's what they do.

I built a custom tool post grinder with cheap Chinese taper roller bearings just like you see in these mills and lathes and it runs at 8000RPM with a 7" friction coating rubber hog wheel all day long taking .200-.300 DOC and it doesn't get any where near hot enough to do any damage.

Now at first it got pretty hot, to the point where you couldn't touch it. After about 2 weeks of consistent running the bearings broke in and all was good. It's been running two years strong now with no problems.

I see this all the time on here about bearings getting hot but no one has ever put forth any evidence that it's actually damaging anything. Everyone just assumes it's doing damage.

Sorry for the rant...

~Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    DO NOT OIL THE SPINDLE BEARINGS! This will only wash out their grease and cause premature failure.
    This is probably good advice that's news to me. I've had my 10x22 for 2 years now and I have oiled the two upper ball holes maybe 3-4 times a year, but the past 6 months I noticed reduced performance after doing that! I don't have a gearbox on my machine anymore (well, it's gutted), so I only use the top oilers. According to someone's advice read on this forum a few years ago I bought a bit of straight weight non detergent oil, apparently to reduce foaming or something, and since going CNC I've just been squirting this into the spindle ball oilers. Turn the spindle on afterwards and it just seems REALLY tight, on the 2400 belt setting it'll slowly get up to around 800rpm then hang there for a while till things warm up. Usually I just put it on 720 and warm it up that way.

But that proves that this is obviously not the best stuff to use on the spindle bearings. What are my options? Should I remove them and properly lube them with something like a lithium grease?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi CR,

How is the CNC lathe running for you?

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Any progess on the lathe? This thread just kinda died out

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RotarySMP View Post
    Hi CR,

How is the CNC lathe running for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by dlenardu View Post
    Any progess on the lathe? This thread just kinda died out
    Quote Originally Posted by cornbinder23 View Post
    Where you been CR??
    How is that lathe coming along?

JTCUSTOMS
    Hi Guys! Lathe running fine--Just been too busy to post. Hope to start again soon.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

You're back! We were wondering what happened to you.

cheers,
    Michael

Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Waiting with baited (:-) )breath

Hey CR,
    Any progress on phase 2 of your conversion?

Pat
    cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/148568-yax2c-yet_another_x2_conversion.html

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011