Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION

Downloads
    Uploads

Dear Tony Mac
    some details are missing as you can compare in the pictures but i think this may be due to low grade of MDF or humidity that made the slices details chipped off....
    By the way my experimentation so for going good...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION-base-column-jpg   Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION-view3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Those details are undercuts. You'd need to cut that from the side, not the top in order to cut those details. But you'll probably still have issues. Your best bet would be a rotary axis, but here's what you might want to try. Rotate the model on it's side, then rotate it 45° so the corner is the top. Then only cut half the model, but cut it twice and put the two halfs together. That will probably give you the best chance at getting most of the detail.

Unless Tony has a better idea.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ohhh.. something is missing

In the morning i entered into the Machine Room..and i saw the blank from where i machined the slices, ohhhh...one slice (The Top one) remain embeded in the blank...
    So that was the reason i was feeling something very odd in the machined model..
    You see in above pictures , i have shown only 07 pieces and in one of the Vcarve Pro simulation there are 8 slices....

Now the columns is completed looks much better then previous one...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION-top-gif   Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION-1-gif   Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION-2-gif   Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION-3-gif  

Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION-4-gif   Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION-5-gif  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Those details are undercuts. You'd need to cut that from the side, not the top in order to cut those details. But you'll probably still have issues. Your best bet would be a rotary axis, but here's what you might want to try. Rotate the model on it's side, then rotate it 45° so the corner is the top. Then only cut half the model, but cut it twice and put the two halfs together. That will probably give you the best chance at getting most of the detail.

Unless Tony has a better idea.
    Thank you Ger21 for explaination, Now let us suppose we have to make it on its original size (i.e. not a scale model), In this condition we will require a big routery axis.... or some other method to handle that big part.

Moreover, i am very sorry i didnt understand the technique (the one with 45 degree) you mentioned above. I will be gratful if you can provide a little more explaination on it. If you require the COLUMN BASE model i can upload it for you.

Again Thanks for your professional suggestions...
    Best Regards
    KFK

Downloads
    Uploads

In physical world, let slice a Carrot. we will get no undercut (Each slice is independent of other)...Just take the case of AUTOCAD,if we manually slice the model then it will take time but missing no details, If the same technique is implemented in this software then this will make the CUT3D unbeatable

Again, The machining toolpath generated by CUT3D for slices is wonderful and great...

I think my message will make some sense..although it is in very bad english....

Downloads
    Uploads

I wish i would have a forest around my home....

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''OOPPPPPSssss

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post

Moreover, i am very sorry i didnt understand the technique (the one with 45 degree) you mentioned above. I will be gratful if you can provide a little more explaination on it. If you require the COLUMN BASE model i can upload it for you.

Again Thanks for your professional suggestions...
    Best Regards
    KFK
    Rotate it to this position before slicing may give you more detail on the sides. Although thinking about it, you'll still lose some detail. I think a rotary axis would work best, but I don't think Cut3D supports rotary axis, do they?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION-column-jpg  
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Nope..No rotary support...

thanks again for making drawing and explaining...I will check in CUT3D but there i think no rotate function (only 90 Degree rotation) ( i dont remember..customised rotate function)...

Again, I thought and understand that AutoCad can't do the slices as CUT3D do for such type of maching work...

Downloads
    Uploads

Off the topic from Subject thread.........

Last edited by Khalid; 02-10-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Off the topic from Subject thread.........

Downloads
    Uploads

Another option, would be to turn the model on it's side in Cut3D, take a slice of a single side (the image you posted, all 4 sides look the same?), create the g-code for that single side, run the g-code 4 times to create 4 of the same parts.

Then take each of the 4 parts, cut a miter on each end, assemble all 4 sides (imagine a box with no top or bottom), then cut a 5th part on the table saw to place inside as the core of the box, take a finish air nailer attach the 4 parts that were cut on the cnc to the core (block of wood).

That way you could approach all 4 sides of the part, without the need of a 4th axis (on the cnc).

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank You Switcher for explaination and ideas...hmmm... seems workable but i will think of this method in detail... Your idea inspired me...i will check the CUT3D slice function implementing your technique...

You are a genious guy Switcher

Downloads
    Uploads

Your technique is very good but i am finding trouble for this part, especially in the area as shown in figure

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION-base-column-jpg  
    Last edited by Khalid; 02-10-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Bcos..switcher is evil-genious:)

Downloads
    Uploads

Then make 2 or 3 slices on each side, glue them together and then miter them.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe something like this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION-2-jpg  
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Downloads
    Uploads

hmmm....still thinking

Downloads
    Uploads

something wrong with firefox....it submit twice the post

Last edited by Khalid; 02-11-2008 at 03:35 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

A little wish list:
    1- In addition to the software slices feature, If slices can be made bythe user itself(i.e. by defining the cutting planes with help of mouse in different orientation) ...may be a good edition to the software...

2- If after slicing, each slice behave as an editable model like original one (i.e. can be further sliced into CUT3D), this will give a much detail to the final product.

By the way the more i think...the more i amazed by CUT3D...it provide much more functionality as compare to its price

Last edited by Khalid; 02-11-2008 at 02:48 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Me leaving to another city...so will meet you next wednesday

Downloads
    Uploads

I need a postprocessor so that all my arc convert into I,J ... Currently i am using Flexicam postprocessor on my machine... I hear that I,J make the Gcode shorter hense efficient... If somebody help in this regard...

NOTE: My controller is based on SLA7062 and it does support I,J command(G02, G03)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Khalid,

Circular arc - I J - output is typically only available for 2D profile & pocket machining toolpaths and not for the 3D toolpaths saved from Cut3D. Many of the standard GCode postp's in VCarve Pro that include - Arc - in the name will save G2 & G3 - IJ - circular arc moves and these should work for you.

If you can't get the output to work send a sample toolpath file to support at vectric dot com we can take a look at modifying a post for you.

Tony

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast