I think something in my Gcode is resetting the surface Zero to -0.200"

Thread: I think something in my Gcode is resetting the surface Zero to -0.200"

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I think something in my Gcode is resetting the surface Zero to -0.200"

Mach 3 V2, VcarvePro 8.5
    User since 2003, have went through my entire Z assembly and verified that i am not loosing steps, and everything is secure. Have never had this situation where the Z starts cutting deeper than it should.

I think there is something in my gcode that is resetting my surface zero of the material from the initial of 0 to -0.200".

I don't know much about gcode but at line "N74500G1Z-0.200OF5.0" this may be nothing but it looks fishy to me. that code is in other places of the file.

I posted the too deep cut problem on this zone and after six pages of posts, mostly dealing with the hardware the suggestions was send it to a Mach, or Vectric specalist.

Hope someone can help me, as i'm quickly approaching my Saturday deadline.

I tried to post the code as another fellow asked for it but the file is too large, I really think someone needs to look at the code.

Thanks
    HH

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I think something in my Gcode is resetting the surface Zero to -0.200"

That line just moves to Z -.2. It doesn't reset your Z zero.

The chance that the code is wrong is incredibly small, as there are tens of thousands of V Carve users, and I haven't heard of any bad code.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I think something in my Gcode is resetting the surface Zero to -0.200"

then what is resetting the Z?
    when i stop the program and use MDI and type "Z0" it goes 0.200" into the material ?

how is the Zero point changing?

Last edited by Mr.Chips; 04-03-2019 at 05:27 PM. Reason: added text

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chips View Post
    then what is resetting the Z?
    when i stop the program and use MDI and type "Z0" it goes 0.200" into the material ?

how is the Zero point changing?
    The code you posted should send the cutter / tool down by -.200

Do you have home switches are you homing the machine before you set your cutter offsets

So when you set your cutter / tool offset G43 did you set the tool to the top of your part

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

In some instances the V bit will go dow 0.200" thats OK. But it should go down 0.200" from the surface of the material that I set to 0.000 before the program ran. and after the file run for a while if i stop the the file and use the MDI to move the Vbit doesnt to go to 000 it goes to 0.200".

No home switches.

if G43 means before the file runs, i set it to the top of the part yes to the surface of the part and hit the zero button on the Z axis, no offsets. i do set max depth to 0.300"

hope this whart you are looking for
    thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

In some instances the V bit will go dow 0.200" thats OK. But it should go down 0.200" from the surface of the material that I set to 0.000 before the program ran. and after the file run for a while if i stop the the file and use the MDI to move the Vbit doesnt to go to 000 it goes to 0.200".

No home switches.

if G43 means before the file runs, i set it to the top of the part yes to the surface of the part and hit the zero button on the Z axis, no offsets. i do set max depth to 0.300"

hope this whart you are looking for
    thanks
    There is your problem Mach3 does not like stopping and being moved, if you have no Home, then it does not know where it is at, if you are not using offset then this will fail every time you stop and move it
    G54 is where your X0 and Y0 start point is stored

G43 is where your Z axes 0.0 position is stored if you don't have this in your program then when you stop the control does not know where to start

N1G17G40G80
    G0Z2.
    T1M6
    G54
    S12000M3
    G90G0X0.Y0.
    G43Z.2H1

Program

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

In response to your “that’s your problem”
    If by HOME do you mean a master HOME position goes to day in and day out. In that case I do not have a HOME
    To my knowledge I have never used OFFSETS

sorry I’m not very savvy to the “calls” you are referring to. I have used this Homemade CNC for ten years and have ran files like I am having problem dozens and dozens of times and never had this problem.

I realize you are trying to help, however I don’t find you statement to be true in at least my case, I apologize if I am not understanding you, please continue to help me solve my problem

I have a short file created in VCP it says “can you hear me now” using the VCP text editor, and V but cutting.

i Move to a point above the material, zero x And y, then using the paper method zero Z to the surface.
    start running the file and I moused the STOP button on the screen
    Using the arrow buttons on keyboard I raise the Z approximately 1/2” above the surface
    Using the arrow button on keyboard I move the X axis to a random location off the cut area, but above the material.
    Click the on screen MDI and type “Z0. And it lowers perfectly to the surface of the material.

i repeated the above three times at different random points of the running program and it always returned to the surface of the material using the MDI command.

am I missing something. Please don’t give up something is amiss just don’t know what.

thanks
    HH

Downloads
    Uploads

In response to your “that’s your problem”
    If by HOME do you mean a master HOME position goes to day in and day out. In that case I do not have a HOME
    To my knowledge I have never used OFFSETS

sorry I’m not very savvy to the “calls” you are referring to. I have used this Homemade CNC for ten years and have ran files like I am having problem dozens and dozens of times and never had this problem.

I realize you are trying to help, however I don’t find you statement to be true in at least my case, I apologize if I am not understanding you, please continue to help me solve my problem

I have a short file created in VCP it says “can you hear me now” using the VCP text editor, and V but cutting.

i Move to a point above the material, zero x And y, then using the paper method zero Z to the surface.
    start running the file and I moused the STOP button on the screen
    Using the arrow buttons on keyboard I raise the Z approximately 1/2” above the surface
    Using the arrow button on keyboard I move the X axis to a random location off the cut area, but above the material.
    Click the on screen MDI and type “Z0. And it lowers perfectly to the surface of the material.

i repeated the above three times at different random points of the running program and it always returned to the surface of the material using the MDI command.

am I missing something. Please don’t give up something is amiss just don’t know what.

thanks
    HH
    Post the whole program Just copy past it

The way you have been doing it for 10 years you got lucky it can work like this but will never be reliable

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

It’s too big to upload

Downloads
    Uploads

It’s too big to upload
    make into 2 or 3 files..with a Text Editor.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Vectric forum ran it without any problems, so that means it’s either Mach or my machine, there going to give me a testing routine, which I’ll run and see how it goes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like you designed and build a nice machine from looking at your Photo's in the other Thread. Adding a Counter Weight to Z Axis might be needed, but if it has run for ten years without one maybe not.
    Next is Tuning the Z Drive is my guess to fix your problem. The Make, Model, and SN's of both the Z Axis Motor and Drive will be needed for anyone with knowledge to walk you thru the tuning would help I'm sure. Maybe a pdf file or link...what ever is possible.

DJ

Downloads
    Uploads

The Vectric forum ran it without any problems, so that means it’s either Mach or my machine, there going to give me a testing routine, which I’ll run and see how it goes.
    I looked in your other thread on this same problem

Here is something for you to try, I have 2 things that may be causing you problem

Can you run through the program without the router running you could easily have a noise problem for that router that is causing a problem with the Z axes stepper motor

The other problem is you should not be programing using a G91.1 as if there is any error this will make it worse

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks but in in the process of reinstalling MACH3. If the new copy of Mach doesn’t fix it I’ll be back searching for solutions.

Downloads
    Uploads

The other problem is you should not be programing using a G91.1 as if there is any error this will make it worse
    The G91.1 is fine.
    Mactec doesn't know what he's talking about.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The G91.1 is fine.
    Mactec doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Really I said it was something to try, G91.1 this is not normally use for any type of programing and was only developed for users that could not understand how to setup there machines, it is totally not needed if the control is setup correctly

If you can prove other wise we are all listening

G90.1 & G91.1 Set IJK Arc Mode
    Interpretation of the IJK values in G02 and G03 codes can be in one of two distance modes: absolute or incremental.
    To go into absolute IJ mode, program G90.1. In absolute distance mode, IJK numbers represent absolute positions in terms of the currently active coordinate system.
    To go into incremental IJ mode, program G91.1. In incremental distance mode, IJK numbers usually represent increments from the current controlled point.
    Incorrect settings of this mode will generally result in large incorrectly oriented arcs in the toolpath display.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks but in in the process of reinstalling MACH3. If the new copy of Mach doesn’t fix it I’ll be back searching for solutions.
    Your Mach3 was running ok you proved that by using other programs

Like I said run the program with the Router turned off

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

On the contrary, this makes sure there won't be any issues.
    You've been trying to tell people for years not to use G91.1, when in reality, it prevents users from having errors.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    On the contrary, this makes sure there won't be any issues.
    You've been trying to tell people for years not to use G91.1, when in reality, it prevents users from having errors.
    It does not prevent anything if the control is setup correct

It's only a simple I &J setting in Mach3 that takes care of any problems anyone may ever have

If this is set correct in General Config. there is no need for it to be in the program it serves no purpose

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I think something in my Gcode is resetting the surface Zero to -0.200"-j-settings-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Z axis drive is stalling is the most likely the problem when using an Open Loop feedback system.