vcarve 4th axis rotary vs lathe routing

Thread: vcarve 4th axis rotary vs lathe routing

Downloads
    Uploads

Default vcarve 4th axis rotary vs lathe routing

something that might not be obvious when you consider 4th axis rotary is that this method is ideal and necessary when all points are not on the same diameter when spinning around an axis (not concentric to the axis). like a squarish handle could not be turned but could be cut with this 4th axis rotary. however when the part doesn't require it (like round shafts or perfectly round stock) this lack of spinning results in long programs, high cut times and poorer surface finish compared to lathe routing.

its too bad that vectric only has this fourth axis feature and can't cut the part in an X-Z lathe orientation. so at this point the software is only designed to cut the more complex shapes which is an inefficent way to cut basic shapes. maybe in a future version it would allow you to X-Z turn all concentric surfaces then in the same program convert into a 4th axis mode for fluting or other fine detials.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: vcarve 4th axis rotary vs lathe routing

There are a number of ways that you can accomplish what you are looking to do. I show a few of them on my YouTube page, but I think that this one may be the most like what you are referring to:

All of the different toolpaths on any of the lathe type products I show have been toolpathed using Vectric VCarve Pro.

Gary Campbell GCnC Control
    Servo Control & ATC Retrofits

Downloads
    Uploads

the first and second segments of your video are a perfect example of what I'm talking about. What software did you use to create the finishing tool path? controlling the rotation not like a 4th axis but simply controlling the lathe motor rpm. Then using the router to cut like a single point tool without the Z pecking seen in your first video. For perfectly round surfaces it just seems like an ideal way to cut.

Downloads
    Uploads

All of the different toolpaths on any of the lathe type products I show have been toolpathed using Vectric VCarve Pro.

The Turning portions of the video are using a carbide lathe insert 35* pointed finisher in a custom made holder chucked in the router with the shaft locked.

Gary Campbell GCnC Control
    Servo Control & ATC Retrofits