Newbie Problems with cutting the entire tool path(?)

Thread: Problems with cutting the entire tool path(?)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Problems with cutting the entire tool path(?)

So we just built and set up a CNC kit from CNC Router Parts, and we're using VCarve Pro and Mach 3 to run it. I'm a super newbie here and this is my first time running a CNC and obviously it's not going great.

We're doing a test run of the machine by just cutting out letters for a sign, using an end mill bit and just a cut through profile. When I run all the vectors through VCarve the 3d preview shows it coming out perfectly and the correct tool paths and everything.

Then I load the generated G-Code into Mach and turn my machine on, and it does just the outline of one letter (in the incorrect spot of the material) and stops after the outline.

Besides needed to zero everything correctly (I'm assuming this is the issue with incorrect placement in material), what could I be missing and why is my machine stopping?

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Problems with cutting the entire tool path(?)

Do you have a licensed copy of Mach3? The demo version of Mach3 will only run about 250 (500?) lines of code.

The zero problem sounds like maybe your starting point is not correct.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We downloaded and registered Mach 3, but it still says "Demo" in the task bar, so this may be the issue. I'll check it out. Thank you!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HiFlyer4 View Post
    We downloaded and registered Mach 3, but it still says "Demo" in the task bar, so this may be the issue. I'll check it out. Thank you!
    If you did not recieve a registration code from Newfnagled Solutions then you still are running the software in Demo mode. Demo will run 500 lines and I can't imagine a single character using the entire 500.

What are you using for a computer laptop or desktop? If you are using a laptop you need to disable the sleep mode. Also turn off you WIFI to prevent any background software updates from running while you are using Mach3, this applies to a desktop as well.

Are you connected to your controller via USB or parallel cable? If you are using a laptop I'm pretty sure it does not have a parallel port and you are using USB. Mach3 requires either a parallel port, Smoothstepper, or UC100 to operate correctly.

Remember that you have 'HOME' and 'WORK' coordinates and for most applications are not the same.

Downloads
    Uploads

When you purchase mach3, you should receive a license file that needs to be copied into the Mach3 folder. When ach3 is licensed, it will have your name in the Title bar, and in Help > About.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Demo will run 500 lines and I can't imagine a single character using the entire 500.
    Depends on the toolpath strategy. If you decide to use ramp-in to cut the profile, VCarve will generate point-to-point moves, until it gets to the very bottom, where it will switch to arc commands. Most save for the upper end of CAM software will do this on a 3-axis move. There are some fonts that may do this anyway, because they don't scale correctly, even with a Z waterline strategy.