Mould Design? Detail possible with 3mm ABS?

Thread: Mould Design? Detail possible with 3mm ABS?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mould Design? Detail possible with 3mm ABS?

G'day everyone.

I'm new to this.

Therefore, I am after some advice before I go go making my first mould, and my question basically boils down to this: How much detail can I get from 3mm ABS?

More specifically, I want to make a part with an area like the pictures below.

Would the ABS full fill those circled areas completely, ie, would there be a sharp edge? Or, would it not fully fill the tight angle leaving a more rounded corner?

FYI, the pics are not drawn perfectly to scale, but the measurements are correct.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mould Design? Detail possible with 3mm ABS?-20180309_114116-jpg   Mould Design? Detail possible with 3mm ABS?-1520554739989-jpg   Mould Design? Detail possible with 3mm ABS?-1520554788370-jpg   Mould Design? Detail possible with 3mm ABS?-1520554823629-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mould Design? Detail possible with 3mm ABS?

GOM,
    With vacuum forming,you most certainly will get some sort of radius in those corners.
    You might do better with pressure forming for more detail.
    I don't think you would get sharp corners on the outside surfaces in either situation.

Doug Pryor
    David Wolfe Design, Inc.
    Akron, OH
    www.davidwolfedesign.com
    depryor@davidwolfedesign.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mould Design? Detail possible with 3mm ABS?

Just to be clear...I want the radius on the corners. I just wanted to make sure the small 4 by 6mm detail would come out with 3mm ABS.

Amd yeah I just drew the drawing with sharp corners on the outside as it was easier to draw....and just a demonstration. I dont actually need sharp corners on the outside.

Thabks