I need help with vacuum forming

Thread: I need help with vacuum forming

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I need help with vacuum forming

I did it successfully 1 time. It tools. Few trys to get it work the way I wanted and now every time I go to do it again it never works. I head the plastic at about 250 degrees in the little oven I use just for this. Takes a few minutes and it says and I pull it out about when it's sagging about 3 or so inches because my mold is pretty tall. And I put it over the mold and it works a little bit but just cant seem to get it to work successfully now. Anyone have tips? Like if I hear plastic at a lower teno for longer or something I'm missing here

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I need help with vacuum forming

what is the plastic you are using

Downloads
    Uploads

1/16 abs sheet. 12x12

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

is that 12 inches? how tall is your mould?

Downloads
    Uploads

My mold is 9x9 and 4 tall. The sheet of abs is 12x12, 1/16 thick. My table is 11x11. I know it's small to work. It it worked once and I did get it to work again but it takes several tries to get 1 good result. I have had a few things go wrong and the sheet of plastic is always perfectly centered and I heat it in a toaster oven I bought specifically for doong this. The heat is set at 275 degrees and ot takes 5 or so minutes to sag and it sags about probly 3 or 4 inches. I read it should say about 75% of the mold hight. My mold is different because it is open in the middle and that open space is 7x4 that's why o let it sag a little extra. I also have tried letting it not sag that much either

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since nobody seems to speak up, I'll try and help with what little I know.
    I am not an ABS moulder, I do Poly-carbonate & PVC, I believe rule of thumb is the minimum sheet moulding area should be base plus height, so in your case with your mould placed in the centre roll it onto its side will give you a 4" width do that on all 4 sides and you will end up with a sheet moulding size of 17" square.
    Now if it is smaller than that you run the risk of thin spots and or holes due to not having enough plastic to pull down, but as you have found, it still may be thick enough to do the job required.
    In your case if the mould is pointing up then you may well need to blow the plastic up as you pull it down onto the mould, if you do this remember the air will cool the plastic a tad.
    Another way is to let the ABS sag 4" and then lower the mould into the plastic seal and vac.
    Hope this is of some help.