Newbie Newbie need help with vacuum forming

Thread: Newbie need help with vacuum forming

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie need help with vacuum forming

Hi Guys,

Iam in the process of making a vacuum forming machine. I have made up the platen which is 400mm Wide x 250mm L x 100mm Deep. I have tried using a shop vac for the vacuum and it just doesnt have enough vacuum. I have seen other people using a vacuum pump with a reserve vacuum tank which seems to work very well. So I have decided to use this approach. I already have a vacuum pump (rotary vain) which is a 3cfm unit. As for the tank I have decided to make one from PVC pipe. I already have 250mm pipe so only need the end caps for it. Apart from this all I need is the valves, connections and hoses. My question is I have no idea what size the tank needs to be?

Picture below of basic vacuum system.

Am I missing anything, any suggestions.

Newbie need help with vacuum forming-basic-vacuum-system-jpg