LPT vs USB vs ETH what is better and why - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LPT vs USB vs ETH what is better and why

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: LPT vs USB vs ETH what is better and why

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    There are way too many variables involved for anyone to properly tell you what steppers and drives to buy, without knowing all the details of your machine, and your performance goals.
    Are you saying the gantry is 40lbs, including the spindle? That would be a pretty flimsy machine. How are you driving the gantry?

If you want the best breakout board for the UC300ETH, it's the UB1 from CNC Room. That's what I'm using.

I don't know anything about plasma, or it's requirements.
    OK what variables are needed to make the necessary decisions?
    I haven't built anything yet. I have a section of 3x4x.125 steel tube I was going to use for the y axis. I am going to use the CNCrouterparts linear bearings and rack and pinion set up for the y and x axis and a
    lead screw set up for the z that is similar to how they build theirs.
    I don't have a spindle yet so I really don't know how much that weighs.

Still learning.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I would be very interested in any comments there may be on my last post.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tkms002 View Post
    OK So lets say I have decided to go with UCCNC.
    I have a 4 year old laptop. Can I use this to run the machine?
    Impossible to answer that with a definite yes or no. Personally I run my UCCNC and UC300ETH based CNC on two PCs, one laptop and one dektop, both are older than 4 years and both run just fine. But I am not in control of your PC, so I have no idea about how you have it installed, which performance it has, how able you are in managing it and so on.

What would be a good reliable hardware set up that would include the possibility of adding a torch height control?
    Mine is good and reliable, but I use mine for milling, so torch is not involved. Mine is using 2 pieces of 5$ BOBs and four DQ542MA drivers, NEMA23 steppers + VFD and 1.5kW air cooled spindle, DIY analogue unregulated PSU for the stepper drivers.

Looking for a proven set up including what 4 axis stepper kit to get. I am building a 4x8 router with the possibility of adding a plasma cutter to it. The gantry will weigh
    about 40lbs all up.
    So, ethernet cable to UC300ETH, to ( ) to stepper drivers to the steppers.
    I know there are a million ways to do this but I want a reliable system that is PROVEN to work together.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Nobody can give you a definite answer because only YOU know how reliable YOUR machine is is because it it depends on your own abilities of building it, so on you can prove that it works or not. Others have done the same, they have built reliable machines and can prove that THEIR machine works, but not yours.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't built anything yet. I have a section of 3x4x.125 steel tube I was going to use for the y axis. I am going to use the CNCrouterparts linear bearings and rack and pinion set up for the y and x axis and a
    lead screw set up for the z that is similar to how they build theirs.
    Basically, just go with the motors that CNCRP uses. I use Leadshine AM882's from Ebay. They are good drives, and inexpensive. Other good drives are Leadshine EM806's, or Gecko G201X or G203V drives. If you go with Nema 23's, the Leadshine MX4660 is popular.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I love my AM882, this is 32X microstepping and 70v so quiet!

I'm going to run them at 8X microstepping which is louder and more like people expect steppers to sound but was shocked how quiet they can be.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you play around with the anti resonance settings in the ProTuner software, you may be able to get them even quieter.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If you play around with the anti resonance settings in the ProTuner software, you may be able to get them even quieter.
    I keep meaning to connect it up I have made a cable now but need to drag a windows PC to the machine as I'm running linuxcnc.

When I think back to my original plan to belt drive with SBR25, a dremel and an arduino I'm so so glad I was talked into Hiwin's, ballscrews, ,2.2kw spindle, AM882's and a toroidal transformer at 70v.
    I think I've made the right choices buying better drives, PSU, ballscrews ,etc and tight arseing the interface with PP BOB for now.

At less than $5 it's a throwaway part I can upgrade from and now I have it running I'm glad I didn't go with a USB mach 3 interface.

But for me it was very important I run linuxcnc because I believe very strongly in OS software and will always use the OS alternative if practical.

I use gimp, libre office and inkscape almost daily.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would agree that 32 or 64 usteps is about optimum. Fewer usteps cause more noise and resonances
    which mean lower average stall torque. Higher than 32/64 you get diminishing returns because the
    motor/driver errors dominate. Also very high step ustep ratios may limit maximum speeds because
    of drive input frequency limits.

Of course if you are running with software step generation from a parallel port, this will likely
    limit the maximum usable ustep ratio because the maximum pulse rate is limited to 10-50 KHz or so...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12