Connect Johnford TC-35 or Amada 30-50-72 with RS-232 to Windows 10 PC

Thread: Connect Johnford TC-35 or Amada 30-50-72 with RS-232 to Windows 10 PC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Connect Johnford TC-35 or Amada 30-50-72 with RS-232 to Windows 10 PC

Hello everyone,

I have an upgrade issue regarding two CNC machines - a 1995 Johnford TC-35 lathe with a Fanuc O-T CNC controller, and a 1987 Amada 30-50-72 turret press with a Fanuc 6M CNC controller. They currently get their instructions from two different Windows XP computers, each connected to its respective via a RS-232 cable and a parallel port, using Procomm Plus. Since Windows XP is no longer supported, I want to replace the existing computers with newer ones, preferably with Windows 10. Has anyone tried connecting a Windows 10 computer to one of these machines before? Is it even possible, and if not, can either of these machines be retrofitted to accept a floppy drive or a USB port? I'm not a machinist, I'm an IT guy, so forgive me if the terminology is incorrect.

Thanks in advance,
    Michael

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mbrayc11 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have an upgrade issue regarding two CNC machines - a 1995 Johnford TC-35 lathe with a Fanuc O-T CNC controller, and a 1987 Amada 30-50-72 turret press with a Fanuc 6M CNC controller. They currently get their instructions from two different Windows XP computers, each connected to its respective via a RS-232 cable and a parallel port, using Procomm Plus. Since Windows XP is no longer supported, I want to replace the existing computers with newer ones, preferably with Windows 10. Has anyone tried connecting a Windows 10 computer to one of these machines before? Is it even possible, and if not, can either of these machines be retrofitted to accept a floppy drive or a USB port? I'm not a machinist, I'm an IT guy, so forgive me if the terminology is incorrect.

Thanks in advance,
    Michael

Hi
    I have done something similar on other old machines.
    With a USB to RS232 cable, its not as straightforward and you may have some issues in communication, or maybe not, because I am not an IT guy so it may be easier for you.
    They come with some software to install

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Connect Johnford TC-35 or Amada 30-50-72 with RS-232 to Windows 10 PC

Thanks for the info. It's good to know someone else has had success in this area. I wouldn't be surprised personally about potential communication issues. I've ordered the necessary adapters and hope to start testing soon. I'll post an update once the testing begins.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Connect Johnford TC-35 or Amada 30-50-72 with RS-232 to Windows 10 PC

I don't see a problem with the Fanuc control side. The issue is your DNC software compatibility with windows 10. I have used a few different USB converters with success. For service I keep it simple with a 9 pin port older laptop running XP.

Downloads
    Uploads

so how did it work

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Allumiworks View Post
    so how did it work
    Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work. The machines are still connected to Windows XP computers, but the computers are longer connected to our corporate network. The NC files for the machines are stored locally on each computer's hard drive. If changes need to be made, the supervisor receives notes from the operator, and makes changes to the master file on the network. A copy of the revised file is then transferred via USB flash drive. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    You can use the VMware / Virtual Box on your Windows 8 / 10........and install windows 2000 / XP in it.......so that all your legacy software will work as usual ...as you will be using vertual XP to communicate with the Host.