RFQ Wear resistant nylon turned/interpolated parts TX USA

Thread: RFQ Wear resistant nylon turned/interpolated parts TX USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default RFQ Wear resistant nylon turned/interpolated parts TX USA

Good afternoon-

I'm seeking a quote to have these two parts made, in qty of 10 each and 20 each. They are made of wear resistant nylon, similar to McMaster 8733K818.

PDF attached below. I can provide models if needed.

Thank you

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: RFQ Wear resistant nylon turned/interpolated parts TX USA

Sorry... email address for contact is
    rfq@x35design.com

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't help feeling that the only way to make the parts as drawn reliably and at a reasonable cost would be injection molding. Those thin walls would flex something awful if you tried to turn them.

You might succeed if you made up mandrels for holding the parts during turning. There would be a significant up-front cost for that work regardless of the results.

I think I can see what the parts are meant to do, but I have to ask why. If you are replacing existing parts, go back to the original supplier - who probably has them molded. Otherwise, I would suggest a serious redesign, using O-rings. A redesign taking the material properties into account.

Just trying to be helpful, as I have machined plastics to fine tolerances.
    Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Roger - thanks for the input.
    Looking again at the drawings, perhaps we don't need such a tight callout on the OD, just a limit dimension on the OD that it's no smaller than x.xxx and allow a larger variation above that of +.005" or possibly even +.010"?
    I guess I'm asking what is a reasonable tolerance to get a fairly reasonable price, if you don't mind advising?

The original parts are turned, but these are a modification at a different size, so we can't get them from the OEM.

Thanks,
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Turned? In nylon, with such thin walls and no mandrel? I have my doubts.

Machine out the interior from stock of a bigger OD, then part off at the right size.
    Mount on a mandrel of the exact shape and size, then machine the OD.
    You would need the precision mandrel first.

I doubt your chances at less than $50 each.
    I am not bidding.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

PM sent

Over 15 year in cnc machining parts business.CNC Turning, Milling, Drilling, Planning, Grinding, Welding ./www.plusminusthree.com Email?kon@plusminusthree.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi X35 - Plus nylon changes size the day after you machine it. Temperature and humidity changes - size changes so if this is intended for liquid contact I would recommend soaking it in that liquid for a couple of days before you machine it. We do that for yacht rudder bearings in any plastic that is used. Nylon is the worst for dim changing... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by X35 Design View Post
    Hi Roger - thanks for the input.
    Looking again at the drawings, perhaps we don't need such a tight callout on the OD, just a limit dimension on the OD that it's no smaller than x.xxx and allow a larger variation above that of +.005" or possibly even +.010"?
    I guess I'm asking what is a reasonable tolerance to get a fairly reasonable price, if you don't mind advising?

The original parts are turned, but these are a modification at a different size, so we can't get them from the OEM.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Should not be a problem to machine as they are in your first request, they already have a large tolerance I would of given you a quote but will not be available for a few weeks

You could use Delrin as well which would be better for wear than the nylon

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi X35 - Plus nylon changes size the day after you machine it. Temperature and humidity changes - size changes so if this is intended for liquid contact I would recommend soaking it in that liquid for a couple of days before you machine it. We do that for yacht rudder bearings in any plastic that is used. Nylon is the worst for dim changing... Peter
    Almost all plastics can change size due to humidity, it is quite obvious what these parts are for, so would not be a problem being such a small part as well

There are many materials that you should be using that is better suited for your yacht rudder bearings Nylon is a bad choice of material for those parts

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm glad to hear that you have a project to quote. So would you able to send me the 2D files and 3D files ( In step or IGS format)& material|QTY|surface finish details for your project?

My email adress: sales22@2fprototypes.com
    After receiving your files and project details, we will offer you a competitive price.

Looking forward to your email.

Celia Chen
    Prototyping | CNC machining | Injection Molding | 3D printing | Vacuum Casting

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello again-

I had a quote from someone in NY state, but the CNCzone messages we had are now gone from my cnczone account.

My client is ready to buy some, if you could please PM or email me that would be very helpful.

Thanks!