Large Lathe Steel Part Needed

Thread: Large Lathe Steel Part Needed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Large Lathe Steel Part Needed

Hello Everyone - I need to make a large flywheel as part of a prototype. I am currently thinking to make something like the attached drawing, out of A36 steel, either 3/16" or 1/4" thick, and 3' in diameter.

I'd be interested in both quotes for this and feedback about how it can be designed to make machining easier/cheaper. At the moment I am uncertain about whether this is too thin for the lathe to grab easily?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large Lathe Steel Part Needed-thin-steel-flywheel-drawing-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Large Lathe Steel Part Needed

I would have that laser cut, would be the least cost. Finding someone with a lathe large enough to turn that piece is going to be difficult. Would be best on vertical turret lathe if it really needs to be turned. Just the setup time will make the turning process pretty expensive. Actual chip making time would be minimal.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    Glad to serve to you
    If your drawings have been completed
    Please send to me: kon@plusminusthree.com
    Thanks!

Over 15 year in cnc machining parts business.CNC Turning, Milling, Drilling, Planning, Grinding, Welding ./www.plusminusthree.com Email?kon@plusminusthree.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! The problem is, it needs to be balanced, so that I can use it as a flywheel to store energy at high speeds (ideally 2-3000 rpm). Waterjet or laser cutter won't get accurate enough for that. Any ideas for how I could get it balanced after cutting? Or would having it laser cut/waterjet cut before putting it on the lathe solve any of the issues (I'm guessing this won't actually cut down on setup time?

Downloads
    Uploads

A good laser should be accurate enough, water jet...not so much. I have had parts laser cut that looked like they were machined and were dimensionally accurate. Once you have the plate machined, then it can be balanced on a balancing machine, again if can find someone with a balancer large enough to handle the diameter. There are companies that balance large pumps and fans that could do it. In this case I think the axle would have to be installed then final turning of the OD would be required. If you live in an area that has some heavy industrial machine shops, then I would start making some calls and see if there is anyone local that can help you out.

The biggest problem you are going to have is the flatness of the A36 plate. Normally the plates have a bit of a bow in them.

I am not going to address the rim speed and forces involved, but I suggest you look at the math. Some very strange things start happening when you spin up a thin cross section, large diameter disk. Think large circular saw blades. Do some reading on saw blade tensioning. As an old millwright I have some experience with this, but left the saws to the experts.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is all really good advice - thank you! I'll look into all of your suggestions here. I'm trying to store about 30 Wh of energy in a flywheel and it's been a challenge to find a design that is both affordable and also keeps the weight down to something that is generally low enough for a human to handle without too much difficulty.

Downloads
    Uploads

Also do some reading on flywheel design. Most of the energy is stored in the outside rim. As you move towards the center, the energy drops off as a function of the square root of the distance as I recall. But check those numbers.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah that's true. The energy stored is related to the moment of inertia, which has a factor of r^2. The math works out that solid plate stores about half as much energy as something where all of the weight is at the rim. So far I have been assuming that it is cheaper to not worry too much about getting the weight to the rim, but I may be wrong.

Any experience with how much bowing you will get with a 4130 Chromoly plate instead?

Downloads
    Uploads

Most plate normally has some bowing. Once the plate is cut, then it is flattened out if needed. That is why I mentioned tensioning saw blades above. The old way of doing this is with a hammer, an anvil, and a whole lot of skill. It's more art than science. Today there are blade tensioning machines, but the result is never as good as a skilled sawyer.

The 4130 might have a better chance of holding its shape, but not sure about that.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

laser cut it then blanchard grind it. done.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticdream View Post
    Yeah that's true. The energy stored is related to the moment of inertia, which has a factor of r^2. The math works out that solid plate stores about half as much energy as something where all of the weight is at the rim. So far I have been assuming that it is cheaper to not worry too much about getting the weight to the rim, but I may be wrong.

Any experience with how much bowing you will get with a 4130 Chromoly plate instead?
    How about reducing the diameter by one half and then putting all the mass at the outside. if done properly it should weigh the same but be much easier to handle and still give you the energy storage that you need. you will find a lot more lathe capable of 18" than 36". You might also find a truck or car manual transmission flywheel.

An electric motor shop or an engine shop should be able to balance this.

Mike

Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.