What stepper driver should I use

Thread: What stepper driver should I use

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What stepper driver should I use

Hello everyone
    I am in the process of building my new cnc machine it has close to a 1800mm x 1200mm cutting area for wood and possibly aluminum sbr20 rails and belt drive or ball screws . I am thinking I will be able to use nema 23 425oz/in steppers on it. Speed is not a big factor accuracy is. if you think nema 23`s would be enough which drivers would you use tb6600, dm542, or dm556. I am leaning towards the dm series drivers from the video`s i have watched do to quieter operation and less lost steps in the videos I have seen. Its been a long time since I built my first cnc machine. If you think I would be better off using nema 34`s what would your driver choice be?
    Thanks for your input James

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What stepper driver should I use

I think you need to decide between belt drive and ballscrews.The ballscrews will effectively multiply the torque of the steppers and belt drive can only reduce it as you increase the diameter of the toothed wheel.I would also expect better accuracy with ballscrews,but with 1800 mm,there is a chance of them whipping at high feed rates.Perhaps if you can organise the use of rotating ballnuts and fixed screws,it will be the best of both worlds with good accuracy and abundant torque from a modestly sized NEMA 23.

Downloads
    Uploads

425 oz Nema 23's are usually a poor choice, due to their high inductance, unless you run them at 60V-72V. Motors in the 300oz range will usually outperform them at lower voltages.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys for your replies
    I`m not new to cnc but dont know very much about the electronics side of it. Your comments have helped very much with my build decisions.