Need Help! What CNC machine could cut this out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What CNC machine could cut this out?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What CNC machine could cut this out?

Hey guys,

New to woodworking, and even newer to CNC so please excuse the elementary questions.

I’m looking to create something similar to what’s attached, I essentially want to be able to cut out 26mm beech hardwood with perfect accuracy, what cnc machine would be appropriate for this? I’d really appreciate some help because I don’t know who to ask! Many thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What CNC machine could cut this out?-7a638b7f-5d62-480c-8b50-c8a83f8ebcbe-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What CNC machine could cut this out?

Hi,
    a waterjet CNC cutter could do that. If you want to do it in metal then either waterjet or wireEDM.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

That's not going to work too well on a CNC router. The combination of depth and sharp inside corners make it a better candidate for another process, like waterjet, as was suggested above.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    That's not going to work too well on a CNC router. The combination of depth and sharp inside corners make it a better candidate for another process, like waterjet, as was suggested above.
    Thank you, I’ve looked up prices for a water jet cnc cutter and they’re way out of my price range. I was looking to purchase something small for a reasonable price, any thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Usman -They would have been done on a laser cutter. Start researching them. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    a laser cutter burns it way through materials and is going to char the wood.

You don't buy a waterjet, you take it to a company who has one and pay them to do it.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Craig - That's why they are painted, a contract water cutter will cost too much for the job.... There will be heaps of laser cutters around that can do this... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Craig - That's why they are painted, a contract water cutter will cost too much for the job.... There will be heaps of laser cutters around that can do this... Peter
    Hi Peter,

Glad you mentioned laser because that’s the first thing I tried, the workshop I go to has a trotec speedy 500. But I’m trying to cut 26mm beechwood. It struggled cutting 9mm, even if I cut 3 pieces together, it’s a lot of labour to then sand the charred parts which are unavoidable since I have to do it at full power, low speed and 3 passes.

There has to be a way to do it

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Usman - You need to find a more powerful laser that can cut clean and fast. Simples. If you don't want the charring then it has to be a router job. In this case you can't get the pointed details. You will have to round out details to suit the tooling. Maybe a rough pass then a finish cut in 2mm or 3mm dia tool. So you will have 1 or 1.5mm rads in the corners... I find two finishing passes are good with a small tool. At that diameter it maybe a burr vs a cutting tool . They are a bit flexy and the second finish cut will clean up some fuzz. I also sometimes offset the second finish pass 0.2mm Kyocera are good tools...But the laser is the correct weapon for that job. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Usman78639 View Post
    Thank you, I’ve looked up prices for a water jet cnc cutter and they’re way out of my price range. I was looking to purchase something small for a reasonable price, any thoughts?
    Look closely at the cuts and see it they where cut with a Scroll Saw by a skilled woodworker, if the surface is smooth in all places it most likely was done with a CNC water Jet machine but could be done with a Scroll Saw as well which would be the cheapest way to do it

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, waterjet or scroll saw are really your only options here.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

...3D Printer ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Look closely at the cuts and see it they where cut with a Scroll Saw by a skilled woodworker, if the surface is smooth in all places it most likely was done with a CNC water Jet machine but could be done with a Scroll Saw as well which would be the cheapest way to do it
    Thank you, I actually asked the seller and he said it’s done with a scroll saw, I think currently that’ll be my best option, so time to get to training. Thanks so much guys!

Downloads
    Uploads

Or you can build a CNC Scroll Saw.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nc+scroll+saw+

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by adidoro View Post
    This would be the dream, but looks way too difficult and expensive to build.

Downloads
    Uploads

This would be the dream, but looks way too difficult and expensive to build.
    Could be made much simpler than that is, you could use an existing Scroll Saw and just add a X and Y table this would do everything that machine can do

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Could be made much simpler than that is, you could use an existing Scroll Saw and just add a X and Y table this would do everything that machine can do
    Would you mind detailing out the process for this? It would be really helpful as this is the first time I’ve heard of an x and y table. (Excuse my elementary knowledge)

Downloads
    Uploads

Would you mind detailing out the process for this? It would be really helpful as this is the first time I’ve heard of an x and y table. (Excuse my elementary knowledge)
    If you look at any CNC router just as a machine it has normally 3 Axis X Y Z, with a scroll saw you have the Z axis which is the cutting blade so the X and Y Axis would move around the Scroll saw Blade giving you 2 Axis of movement X and Y which is all that is needed to do your profiles around any shape

Your part that you where cutting would have to be suspended over a gap in the table cut area so the Blade could cut through the part and not the table

What's the max dimensions of parts you want to cut, this would determine the Table design

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

If you look at any CNC router just as a machine it has normally 3 Axis X Y Z, with a scroll saw you have the Z axis which is the cutting blade so the X and Y Axis would move around the Scroll saw Blade giving you 2 Axis of movement X and Y which is all that is needed to do your profiles around any shape

Your part that you where cutting would have to be suspended over a gap in the table cut area so the Blade could cut through the part and not the table

What's the max dimensions of parts you want to cut, this would determine the Table design

Makes sense, for the moment the max dimensions of parts I would want to cut would be 297 x 420 mm. (A3 paper size).

This has also got me thinking, I know somebody who made something in front of me very similar to this on a mill. Could a CNC mill do this or could we apply the same X and Y table principal on a mill instead? Just thinking they'll be more accurate unless im mistaken?

Or even something like this? https://shop.stepcraft-systems.com/s...hoCjl4QAvD_BwE

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Usman - Router or Mill you have the issue of tool radius and length. If you want a sharp corner you have to laser, waterjet or scroll saw. If you want to make many objects the scroll saw is out the laser is the answer. Or use a cheap router with a 3mm tool but then you will have to file the corners.... Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast