CNC sounds like a sick moose

Thread: CNC sounds like a sick moose

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC sounds like a sick moose

I have recently purchased a CNC with the following configuration:
    2.2KW spindle.
    DM860A controllers
    KK01 interface board (from cnc4you.co.uk)
    34Nema motors.

Jogging the machine across the x or y axis sounds sweet. No problems. When I run a programme though it does certain moves and the whole thing sounds terrible, I made a video:

Does that sound normal to you?

I must also say that if I speed it up it almost elimates that vibration noise but then it runs at a feed rate that would break bits.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC sounds like a sick moose

It's probably mid-band resonance. Have you tried different micro-step settings to minimize it? Generally you get less of it with more micro-steps, but it's sensitive to velocity. Section 3 here: https://www.longs-motor.com/stepper-...er-dm860a.html has the DIP switch settings for various micro-steps.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply. No I haven't tried that but I will look at it tomorrow.

EDIT: if I change the micro steps in the dipswitches do I need to change anything in Mach3?

Last edited by grantx; 06-19-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd also say it's resonance.
    I had similar on my mill with nema34's.
    I couldn't find a balance by changing settings alone so as a last resort.....
    I swapped them out for smaller nema24's on the X & Y and it is near silent now (& twice as fast!).
    Only changed those 2 motors, kept Z motor, all the 860 drivers and 60V the same, no problems on the smaller motors.

If you change microsep settings you will have to change 'steps per unit' in Mach to suit.

Downloads
    Uploads

It could very well be resonance but everything also looks very dry; when's the last time you lubed everything that moves?

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    It could very well be resonance but everything also looks very dry; when's the last time you lubed everything that moves?
    When I took delivery first thing I did was to lightly oil the lead screws and guide rails with motor oil. How would you recommend I properly lube the machine? I've heard of candle wax? I cut mainly wood so there is dust.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    I'd also say it's resonance.
    I had similar on my mill with nema34's.
    I couldn't find a balance by changing settings alone so as a last resort.....
    I swapped them out for smaller nema24's on the X & Y and it is near silent now (& twice as fast!).
    Only changed those 2 motors, kept Z motor, all the 860 drivers and 60V the same, no problems on the smaller motors.

If you change microsep settings you will have to change 'steps per unit' in Mach to suit.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Ive done a bit of reading and it seems the 23 nema is very common. This machine is 850x800mm working area and I cut mainly wood so nema 34 is probably overkill anyway. I am definitely going to consider replacing them if I can't reduce that vibration noise.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Grant - to me it sounds like the nut on the leadscrew is a poor fit or loose if its brass. Check its clearance. It should be a preloaded nut with some sort of spring or a tight fitting plastic nut or nuts. The digital controller should have no midband resonance... the behavior is mechanical check all the drives for correct assembly...Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Some good advice given.The obvious response to the original question is would you be happier if it sounded like a healthy moose?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Grant - I use paraffin as a lub. Its a solid so does not attract dust, prevents rust and is great for shining up the machine. A solvent based furniture wax like Mr Sheen does the trick. Be careful as the newer Mr Sheen is water based and will rust your machine parts. I now use liquid furniture wax and its quite good. Aerosol is convenient to get it into tight spaces though... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Grant - I use paraffin as a lub. Its a solid so does not attract dust, prevents rust and is great for shining up the machine. A solvent based furniture wax like Mr Sheen does the trick. Be careful as the newer Mr Sheen is water based and will rust your machine parts. I now use liquid furniture wax and its quite good. Aerosol is convenient to get it into tight spaces though... Peter
    We used GT85 in high dust environments on automated machines in the printing industry.
    Lubed the rails and leadscrews and it kept dust away considerably well.
    Was done monthly in a 24/7 environment.

Downloads
    Uploads

this stuff? There a many "dry lub sprays" available. Most have teflon in them plus a heavy parrafin...Peter

https://www.bicycles.net.au/2012/10/...e-lube-review/

Downloads
    Uploads

I use Royal Purple NLGI #2 grease on my CNC and have never had a problem with the wood dust/chips. I'd rather know everything is well lubricated. I use dry lube on everything else in the shop but everything else is operated by hand and slow speed - table saw adjustment, for instance.

Does your machine have grease fittings? If so then you should probably be using grease. Check with the manufacturer.

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

OK so I checked the jumpers and controllers are set at 2500 steps. Mach3 is set at 125 so I'm a bit nervous to change things until I'm more familiar with what I'm doing.

I put some oil on every ball screw block and also all the rubber couplings between motor and lead screw and I noticed a big difference. The sound is not entirely gone but I'd say 75% reduced. So until I get more familiar with what a cnc is supposed to sound like I'm going to invest in some of the dry lubes suggested.
    The blocks all have grub screws but no grease fittings so that's where I poured oil down.

I really appreciate all of your suggestions.
    Thank you all.