Need Help! Inherited CNC, wiring help required!

Thread: Inherited CNC, wiring help required!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Inherited CNC, wiring help required!

Hello,

I was gifted an unused Vortech CNC. I was able to power it on with a standard 110v computer cord, which is what the socket looks like. I’m confused by the fact that the power supply, VFD and spindle say 220v. It’s a 2.2kw spindle. Unfortunately, all of the components are Chinese and without clear model numbers, it’s also apfairly dated, so manuals are scarce. My direct question is: could this be a 220v machine and a plug I’m not used to see wired for 220v. If so there are only two wires on the back of the socket In the machine. I’ve read about the 220v setups without the traditional American wiring conventions, but I admit I just don’t understand this. Any help is spectacularly appreciated, I’ve reached the scrapings at the bottom of google and still head scratching. Thank you!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Inherited CNC, wiring help required!

That socket is also used for 220 volt, computer power supplies often have a 110/230v switch.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by klaas123 View Post
    That socket is also used for 220 volt, computer power supplies often have a 110/230v switch.
    Klaas123 thanks for the input. Unfortunately the power supply does not have a 110/220v switch. Back of the described plug has two wires, black and red, going to the “L” and “N” ports. My American wiring brain immediately presumed that this was 110v hot and neutral, but after forum reading I have become doubtful. The power supply label says “ac input 220v 50hz” with no evidence it can do anything else. The ord that came with it is unquestionably wired for a 2 blade outlet just like 110, however, as I understand the 220v opposing cycle on single phase AC, it would power up the circuit, but I admit, while I am a very capable general tinkerer with a well equipped workshop, once this gets into the margins of the electrical book I get starry eyed. It’s a learning curve I can manage, just need some pointing. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jgoyette View Post
    Hello,

I was gifted an unused Vortech CNC. I was able to power it on with a standard 110v computer cord, which is what the socket looks like. I’m confused by the fact that the power supply, VFD and spindle say 220v. It’s a 2.2kw spindle. Unfortunately, all of the components are Chinese and without clear model numbers, it’s also apfairly dated, so manuals are scarce. My direct question is: could this be a 220v machine and a plug I’m not used to see wired for 220v. If so there are only two wires on the back of the socket In the machine. I’ve read about the 220v setups without the traditional American wiring conventions, but I admit I just don’t understand this. Any help is spectacularly appreciated, I’ve reached the scrapings at the bottom of google and still head scratching. Thank you!
    Post a photo of the plug it may be a 220v / 240v plug most countries outside of NA are standard 220v / 240v

If it has a 2.2Kw spindle then it is most likely a 220v / 240v machine as a 2.2Kw will not run very well on 120v supply

For wiring you need a minimum of 3 wires no matter where you live, except for some areas of China, so it sounds like you don't have a Ground which you can't run your machine without

So you may need a rewire of your cabinet and spindle which also has to have a Ground

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Update. It’s wired for 220v, absolutely no grounding in the machine, none of them connect to anything, blue ground was just to air. I got bold and wired it up to a standard 220v 3wire plug and grounded the cabinet, everything ran excellently and spindle is working happily. The rest of the evening I spent rewiring the cabinet with a ground bar and then grounding the various components. I’m going to go back through and systematically check that nothing was skipped. I am really surprised a unit hit the market without grounding, and glad for the help from all to figure out some of these mysteries. I’m on to cooling the spindle and repairing he limit switches. A few pictures should be attached. Any general input is also welcome! Thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks like a fun project. The gantry looks really high. Did it come with a 4th axis? Certainly looks like it could accommodate one. What is the controller? Have you hooked up to it yet? Mach3?

I am guessing it has a single driver for the moving gantry. Could be a weak point of the design.

I'm sure the electricians will tell you to use the correct color for ground. Green and not white, most likely. Personally, if you keep it consistent the world will not cease.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you have done well to make an alien machine work.I have had a problem when working on something similar when an American machine arrived with one or two components that were intended for 60 Hz AC supply and not the 50Hz that most of Europe uses.After the second or third time the part went dead we got to the root of the problem and the correct spec part never caused any further problems.

It looks like a well presented machine,but does have a couple of peculiarities to my eyes;the spindle bracket is rather high on the spindle body and the very tall gantry side plates don't seem to have any triangulation.I would start out with very conservative cuts until a good idea of the machine's rigidity has been acquired.If there is a temptation to cut metal, the recommended cut rates for industrial machinery may overwhelm a nice looking hobby machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update. It’s wired for 220v, absolutely no grounding in the machine, none of them connect to anything, blue ground was just to air. I got bold and wired it up to a standard 220v 3wire plug and grounded the cabinet, everything ran excellently and spindle is working happily. The rest of the evening I spent rewiring the cabinet with a ground bar and then grounding the various components. I’m going to go back through and systematically check that nothing was skipped. I am really surprised a unit hit the market without grounding, and glad for the help from all to figure out some of these mysteries. I’m on to cooling the spindle and repairing he limit switches. A few pictures should be attached. Any general input is also welcome! Thanks again
    Make sure your Ground wires are Green or Green / Yellow you can not use any other color for a Ground wire, it looks like you are doing what was needed

Remove the paint also under the Ground Bus you have mounted

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Update. It’s wired for 220v, absolutely no grounding in the machine, none of them connect to anything, blue ground was just to air.
    It seems to be common, many have reported the same thing here, receiving machines from China with no ground conductor!
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the input everyone. Very new to the scene. great point on the ground color, honestly I just got to plugging away at it after small peoples bedtime and only had white or black. Will repair and likely have a few more things to ground out once I get the wiring systems figured in my head. Lack of diagrams and the Chinese language labeling is certainly a real challenge.

Yes, a single drive on the y axis, and excellent points ont he gantry. It is entirely possible that this will turn into a plasma unit (the hypertherm 45XP is 10ft away and begging!) and spawn a different build altogether. For now though I’d like to work the kinks out and learn the systems, it was a very generous gift project from a friend.

I have hooked it to Mach3 and driven it around a bit, VFD spindle control took some serious button pushing to come around. Last hurdle before cutting is the water cooling for spindle, pump was cut off when it was stored. New pump is here and will update when plumbing is complete.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the input everyone. Very new to the scene. great point on the ground color, honestly I just got to plugging away at it after small peoples bedtime and only had white or black. Will repair and likely have a few more things to ground out once I get the wiring systems figured in my head. Lack of diagrams and the Chinese language labeling is certainly a real challenge.

Yes, a single drive on the y axis, and excellent points ont he gantry. It is entirely possible that this will turn into a plasma unit (the hypertherm 45XP is 10ft away and begging!) and spawn a different build altogether. For now though I’d like to work the kinks out and learn the systems, it was a very generous gift project from a friend.

I have hooked it to Mach3 and driven it around a bit, VFD spindle control took some serious button pushing to come around. Last hurdle before cutting is the water cooling for spindle, pump was cut off when it was stored. New pump is here and will update when plumbing is complete.

You can control the cooling pump with the VFD Drive by using ( 1 ) of the relay that is built into the VFD, just make sure that the amperage of the pump is not greater than the Relay can support, if it is you just add another relay that can handle the pump and then switch that with the VFD Drive Relay

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Positive News Update and more mysteries..

First, thank you all. Retired the cabinet entirely, everything is grounded appropriately as discussed, and even with green wire where I had used the white on hand previously.

I’ve included a picture of the very first cuts as evidence of the victory. However, the Fuling VFD (dzb200) has a mystery beyond the obvious. I carefully took notes from Mactec54’s setting recommendations and the available PDF manual only to find out that the panel, pictured below, has a password... one that was lost with the original owners who knows how long ago. I’ve tried the obvious combinations but every time I try to look at settings I get a 5 digit prompt for an unsolvable puzzle. Therefore I can’t be sure that the settings are correct. The spindle sounds slow, but I’m used to air cooled routers in the wood shop.... I have a laser tach coming so I can check the he 400hz equates to 24000, and so on.

Any thoughts on password reset options, perhaps a pin setting change? The manual gave only the suggestion that the user shouldn’t forget the password....

Merry Christmas to all and thanks for all the helpful input!

Downloads
    Uploads

There should be a password reset function somewhere. Hidden button? Some funky combination of keys held down? No manual?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by philba View Post
    There should be a password reset function somewhere. Hidden button? Some funky combination of keys held down? No manual?
    Philba, Ive read he manual, unfortunately, it stops short of being a great resource due to a shaky Chinese translation. The technical information in places is robust, but there appears to be no clear path out of his problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

You need to get to F3.00=0 and set it to ( 0 ) then you will have access so press Reset then scroll until you find F3.00

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You need to get to F3.00=0 and set it to ( 0 ) then you will have access so press Reset then scroll until you find F3.00
    Mactec, unless I’m missing something completely obvious (which is certainly conceivable) I cannot get past the screen prompting for password input it is 5 zeros written 0.0.0.0.0 and occurs about time I try to make a programming input or scroll through settings. All I am able to see are things like actual frequency output and a few other relatively unhelpful readout items. I am sure there is a pin configuration that would reset, but haven’t had luck getting references there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec, unless I’m missing something completely obvious (which is certainly conceivable) I cannot get past the screen prompting for password input it is 5 zeros written 0.0.0.0.0 and occurs about time I try to make a programming input or scroll through settings. All I am able to see are things like actual frequency output and a few other relatively unhelpful readout items. I am sure there is a pin configuration that would reset, but haven’t had luck getting references there.

That is strange because the F3.00 is for by passing the password

Mactec54