Need Help! Modyfing old machine

Thread: Modyfing old machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Modyfing old machine

Hello, I bought an old cnc router (est 2000) with old electronics and i cannot run it on a new pc with any software. So i Want help to junk all the old electronics and put new drivers and boards and make it as new as possible. I dont have a lot of infos about the machine beacause i bought for a small amount of money and it came as the photos shows. Thank you

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Modyfing old machine-20200508_154051-jpg   Modyfing old machine-20200508_155633-jpg   Modyfing old machine-20200508_155708-jpg   Modyfing old machine-received_522692955079193-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Modyfing old machine

It looks like a pretty good machine; at least it has a real spindle motor and not a hand router. Does the VFD work? Are all the slides and screws working smoothly? Techno-Isel is out of business now, but there are people who still service their machines. I'd suggest a Geckodrive G-540 to run it, plus a USB adapter like the Smoothstepper or UC100. The 540 has its breakout board built in, along with 4 drivers, so it's pretty straightforward to set up. The steppers probably still work, so if it's not too rusty, it will probably be usable once you retrofit the controls.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Trikan - Look at buildbotics, all in one box plus the wires. Just connect the motor wires and you are away. Don't even need a computer at the machine. Give the machine a good washdown, check everything mechanical is good, give it a wax and grease and your away. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Before you dive into a full rebuild could you tell us what aspects of the machine are actually below your expectations?It might well run without having a computer attached.The Isel brand has been respected in the CNC world for quite a while and it looks as if the machine was constructed to their usual standards and doesn't seem to have suffered any obvious damage.Could you post an image of the control that came with the machine?I wouldn't be hugely shocked if there was a slot for a floppy disk somewhere.It might be that with a tiny amount of additional hardware in the controller,you could save a lot of expense and work.

Useful additional information would be whether you have any amount of CAD/CAM experience or have operated CNC routers in the past.Do you have any of the software to create the programs?It might seem a bit intrusive to ask these things but it ought to get you a response tailored to your level of understanding.If you didn't get any manuals for the machine it might be worth asking here and on the Woodweb.com CNC forum as a manual would have schematics and possibly a lot of other useful information.There might be a nameplate with model type somewhere on the machine.With this information you can determine whether any new parts would be enough of an improvement to justify all the work involved,even though it would be a valuable learning process.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It looks like a pretty good machine; at least it has a real spindle motor and not a hand router. Does the VFD work? Are all the slides and screws working smoothly? Techno-Isel is out of business now, but there are people who still service their machines. I'd suggest a Geckodrive G-540 to run it, plus a USB adapter like the Smoothstepper or UC100. The 540 has its breakout board built in, along with 4 drivers, so it's pretty straightforward to set up. The steppers probably still work, so if it's not too rusty, it will probably be usable once you retrofit the controls.

It is fully working. but it came without drivers. It is as the photos shows. Tomorow i will upload more. Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    Before you dive into a full rebuild could you tell us what aspects of the machine are actually below your expectations?It might well run without having a computer attached.The Isel brand has been respected in the CNC world for quite a while and it looks as if the machine was constructed to their usual standards and doesn't seem to have suffered any obvious damage.Could you post an image of the control that came with the machine?I wouldn't be hugely shocked if there was a slot for a floppy disk somewhere.It might be that with a tiny amount of additional hardware in the controller,you could save a lot of expense and work.

Useful additional information would be whether you have any amount of CAD/CAM experience or have operated CNC routers in the past.Do you have any of the software to create the programs?It might seem a bit intrusive to ask these things but it ought to get you a response tailored to your level of understanding.If you didn't get any manuals for the machine it might be worth asking here and on the Woodweb.com CNC forum as a manual would have schematics and possibly a lot of other useful information.There might be a nameplate with model type somewhere on the machine.With this information you can determine whether any new parts would be enough of an improvement to justify all the work involved,even though it would be a valuable learning process.
    It is fully working. But it came without drivers and controllers. I know that it is below my needs. But a friend of mine gave it to me nearly for free. so why not. Im searching a lot of infos to make it work. I have experience in 3d printing and cad softwares but not on cam softwares.Give me one day and i will upload more photos to make it easier to help me. Thanks a lot

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by trikan View Post
    Hello, I bought an old cnc router (est 2000) with old electronics and i cannot run it on a new pc with any software. So i Want help to junk all the old electronics and put new drivers and boards and make it as new as possible. I dont have a lot of infos about the machine beacause i bought for a small amount of money and it came as the photos shows. Thank you
    The machine seems still in good shape, only need to do cleaning and test first, then you will know which part is still working, then repair or replace the defected parts.

http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cncmakers001 View Post
    The machine seems still in good shape, only need to do cleaning and test first, then you will know which part is still working, then repair or replace the defected parts.
    It seems we both have a similar opinion.Does anybody know whether the machine was intended to operate independently of a computer?The absence of information about a controller is a bit puzzling as there may have been a box that was an interface to some means of loading a program,maybe via RS232 or even floppy disk.Alternatively there could be a minimal keyboard with numbers and keys for F,G,I,J,M,R,S at which commands could be typed in.