New Machine Build CNC router

Thread: CNC router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC router

HI I was hoping that I could get as much feed back on a build that I have been gathering parts for. I'm in the process of building a cnc router out of 24 x 36 surface granite and the sides are 3 in thick 24 x 12. The gantry i'm thinking of building out of 3 inch aluminum or three in steel tubing. I went with 25mm linear rails, all xyz axis. I also went with 25 mm 2505 and 2510,double ball nut screws. The spindle is a 3.7 kw 24000 rpm atc. bt30 collets. I went with the 5mm and 10mm pitch for speed on x and y axis 5mm for z axis because of weight. I'm either going with the DMM servos dyn4. That would give me 1100ipm
    1500lbs load capacity. The frame is all built from 4x4 steel tubing. filled with sand. It is heavier than expected. I have three race cars and have quite of bit of time on a manual mill. I have down sized and put a smaller lathe and this cnc in my garage along with two race cars. The main purpose is cutting aluminum and steel. I hope this build will be able to do what I ask of it. thanks I welcome your comments.

Similar Threads:
    Firefighter hobbyist in machine work. Many race cars

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC router

Welcome to the club.I hope you have some experience with CAD modelling because it can be really frustrating to have a nice machine sitting there and no way to make parts.You also need to get some experience of generating toolpaths,both for gaining experience and so you can watch the simulations.One vitally important part of the whole jigsaw is determining which control package will best suit your purposes and you will need to establish that the CAM system has a post processor that works with it.Unless you have a good deal of experience in high speed machining of steel I fear you will struggle to make steel parts.It takes a lot of mass and rigidity to machine steel and a mill conversion to CNC is an easier way to get to the destination than a router would be.It isn't impossible to attack steel,but it isn't the most efficient machine for the job.What type of spindle do you anticipate using?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Blown - Your heading in the right direction. Better start calling it a mill vs a router. Better do some research on mill heads, the spindle isn't quite right for metal particularly steel, whats its minimum speed? . Some photos would be good. Always like granite builds. Peter

So its moving gantry? Why not granite? and keep to the genre?

Routalot - R U like Lancelot? Your getting up, I'm getting ready to slow down for the evening. You beat me by a minute....Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

The gantry i'm thinking of building out of 3 inch aluminum or three in steel tubing
    Sounds like this will be the weak point of the machine. You should probably be considering a 6" or 8" tube for the gantry, with very thick walls.

As mentioned, you'll want a different spindle for cutting steel.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I will be running centroid acorn. my thought was thick wall steel tubing for the gantry, eight inch. If I go aluminum I will go solid aluminum 3x7 or 3x8.. Thank you all for your response.

Downloads
    Uploads

yes thank you it will be moving gantry.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is there a better choice or less expensive route than DMM or clear path servos. Please let me know

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Blwn -The 3x8 solid Al gantry will weighs 40.5kg/m and a steel one of 4x8x1/2" will weigh 54.4kg/m but the steel one will be 4.3x stiffer so I think the steel section wins. You are going to need a lot of rigidity to cut steel. 8x8 is even better...Peter

I presume your standing the section on edge.

a cheaper path then servos is steppers? or are they out?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router-gantry-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Blwn51hj View Post
    Is there a better choice or less expensive route than DMM or clear path servos. Please let me know
    You'll rarely find anything that's both cheaper and better.

There are plenty of no name Chinese servos that are a bit cheaper. Check out AliExpress

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Peter thanks for all that info and working out the math. I appreciate it. I think im leaning towards the steel gantry. That sure will help.

Downloads
    Uploads

ger21 thanks I will check out aliExpress