Need Help! Questioning Benefit of PID feedback Control of Router

Thread: Questioning Benefit of PID feedback Control of Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Questioning Benefit of PID feedback Control of Router

I just ordered a Super-PID feedback control unit for my router. For those who have this on their router, Do you see a difference in smoothness of cut? I am installing it first on a router table and a Woodrat. Then on a CNC unit that I will build. The theory is that since the bit speed will remain nearly constant, the cut will be smoother regardless of the density changes in the wood. Of course, the feed rate into the bit will have to be nearly constant as well. They have not yet acknowledged my order, and I'm wondering if I jumped the gun on this purchase.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Questioning Benefit of PID feedback Control of Router

In my 30+ years of woodworking (20+CNC), I've never ran into issues with wood density causing drastic (or even noticeable) rpm changes.

I have one of the very first pre-release Super PIDs.

Stock router speed controls often have very slow response times, so RPM can drop considerably when starting a cut, or if feed isn't consistent.

The Super PID is much more responsive. When you start a cut, it will still slow down briefly, but the SuperPID will correct in probably less than a second. RPM under load may be a few hundred rpm off from no load, but should stay in a much narrower range than most stock speed controls. But if feedrade is not constant, rpm will jump up and down as the load varies, by probably 100-300rpm.

Imo, the main benefits of the SuperPID, are slower usable speeds, and computer speed control. More consistent RPM is an added bonus.
    With the low cost of chinese spindles and VFD's these days, It's hard to recommend a SuperPID now. You can get a 2.2Kw spindle and VFD for less money than a SuperPID and 2-1/4HP router, and the spindle will be quieter, more powerful, and will likely last longer.

But if you already have a router, and want better speed control, the SuperPID is a really nice upgrade. If you don't mind the cost.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)