alternative dust collector in high static environment

Thread: alternative dust collector in high static environment

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default alternative dust collector in high static environment

Hello,

I have been plagued by static from my 3HP Oneida Gorilla Pro interfering with coms on my ShopBot PRS Standard CNC. The Oneida is quite powerful and moves tons of air, and on some days, my jobs fail because the machine stutters and/or loses position. I am 99.9% sure this happens only when the Oneida is running. The DC is grounded from the dust shoe, through flex hose, to ductwork and directly to ground bus in my electrical panel. The CNC is grounded too. I have never experienced this problem March/April - September/October -- only low humidity/high static times.

I am done troubleshooting and tinkering and need a "winter workaround." The idea is to get a less powerful DC, tap into existing ductwork with as short a run as possible, and run it during high static months instead of the Oneida.

The tricky part is that the workaround DC needs to be powerful enough to collect chips, but not too powerful such that the high airflow causes the same problem.

So....1hp wall mount, 1.5hp, or 2hp? I would rig up a cyclone separator no matter the choice; and because the CNC makes more chips than dust, I am not too worried about super fine micron filtration. At least I don't think I am.....

The wall mount intrigues me because I could mount it high on the wall and tie into existing ducting near the ceiling instead of at the floor where you work against gravity. Seems much more efficient. I guess I could wall mount a 1.5 or 2hp motor too with some hacking.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Brian

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: alternative dust collector in high static environment

I doubt that a less powerful dust collector would make any difference, but you never know until you try it.

From what I've read, ShopBots have been plagued by comm loss for years.

Maybe a better USB cable?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I doubt that a less powerful dust collector would make any difference, but you never know until you try it.

From what I've read, ShopBots have been plagued by comm loss for years.

Maybe a better USB cable?
    An electrician that I consulted said that the higher the air flow rate, the more static. I have run the CNC successfully with a shopvac hose stuck in the dust shoe with no issues on a day when it wouldn't work properly using the Oneida. So there's some reason to believe that a lower flow rate might make a difference.

I hadn't thought about the USB cord....any recommendations on what constitutes a better cord than the one shopbot supplied?

Downloads
    Uploads

Get a USB isolator to go between the PC and machine.

Ben

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk