3D part offset error

Thread: 3D part offset error

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 3D part offset error

I haven’t used my homemade machine in a while but I’m about to get back work on a the project that I had trouble with in the past. Does anyone know what wi cause offset error when cutting a 3D part using the part flip method. I used 2 dowel pins and reference holes in my part stock material. I think it may be lost steps or acne backlash error but I’m not sure. My part cuts perfect on each side as far as I can tell but is offset by roughly 3/16” in each side only in one axis, the longest dimension of the part.

I’m using 4 start acme screws, plastic backlash nuts, stepper motors, Mach 4. The machine structure is metal and pretty solid but something is going on and I’m kind of stuck. The part I’m cutting takes a long time to cut and is a long g code program. Also, the offset error does vary from part to part but is always present.

Any ideas? Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 3D part offset error

The error is most likely in the setup or layout in your CAM program. Specifically, the location of your dowel holes.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The error is most likely in the setup or layout in your CAM program. Specifically, the location of your dowel holes.

If I can cut the same part twice with the same error it should be a CAD issue. If I don’t get the same results twice or if the machine loses it squareness, machine issue.

Sound good for a test?

I may just run an air cut program to check squareness first.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 3D part offset error

Have you tried reducing the feed and rapid speeds? That should help to indicate if it's missed steps.
    If you've got 3/16" of backlash, you would have other severe issues..
    You could try putting marks on your couplers and shafts and see if the marks still line up the same way when you flip the part and when you're done.
    How much variation in the offset are you seeing? If it's minor compared to the 3/16" or so total error, it may be you've got a CAD/CAM issue as well as a mechanical issue.