Problem z axis chatters and drops.

Thread: z axis chatters and drops.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default z axis chatters and drops.

First time user, sorry in advance for any mistakes in posting etiquette. I have a Techno Isel 3 axis Router. This machine was left for dead but with some work and donated parts we were able to get it going. We did however have a nagging issue with the Y axis skipping steps whenever the feed rate was ramped up. Eventually, after 200 or so hours at a lower feed rate the driver (OMS MH10) completely melted. We found a used OMS driver and although we did not test the motor it felt tight when compared to the other axis so we installed a 3amp 23y306d-ly8 stepper from Anahiem Automation. This resolved all our issues with the Y axis. It sounded great and performed perfectly at higher feed rates. The machine then ran for another 100 hours (approx.) and while completing a production run of ash serving trays the Z axis crashed (dropped). The Z axis cable was plugged into the Y axis motor as a quick test. The Z axis driver could not run the Y axis motor and when the Y axis driver is plugged into the Z axis motor it operates with no obvious issues. After testing the feeds and grounds the Z axis driver was replaced with a Gecko 201x. The new driver operated only at slower feed rates (10-15 IPM). Any increase in feed rate causes a loud chatter and then a crash, typically when climbing. The Z motor is a jk57hs112 4204 03 and is new. I have contacted both the stepper seller and Gecko, both were helpful in reviewing the installation process and insured me that compatibility is not an issue. I am out of ideas and I am also concerned that even after a repair the machine will continue to kill drivers. Other info...Using Mach 3, controller retrofitted by RedCam, operating voltage - 50v, cables tested and swapped (no change), gantry and Z axis lead screw serviced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.